Best 20th edition mortal rules?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best 20th edition mortal rules?

For Halloween, I plan on running a ghost story for my players, and I'd like them to play baseline mortals. Trouble is, I can't seem to find a definitive set of mortal rules in the books I have on hand. I have the cores for Wraith, Werewolf, Vamp, and Mage, but I dont' see any strictly mortal rulesets. Can someone help me find a chargen set that doesn't have a bunch of supernatural bits to hand to my players? I'm contemplating giving them access to the Ghost Hunters chargen chapter, but It's a bit skewed away from the mundane aspect I'm hoping for.

What ruleset should I give them to build with?

For official 20th Anniversary rules, all you have to pick from is Ghost Hunters manuscript and Hunters Hunted 2.

Comment

Both of those focus on supernaturally aware characters with potentially supernatural abilities themselves. I was hoping to avoid that, if possible.

is there some Storyteller's vault stuff that has a mundane chargen somewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by necrotek View Post
        is there some Storyteller's vault stuff that has a mundane chargen somewhere?
        None that I'm aware of.

Honestly, if you're that adamant at avoiding anything that is "mortals+", or anything equivalent to the CofD blue book, you might be stuck homebrewing it yourself.

Comment

I'll use what's in print then. I'm not that opposed, I'd just rather ask and see if what I want exists before I settle.

Comment

The Ghost Hunters chargen isn't *specifically* tuned towards Mortal+/supernaturally-aware characters.

Sure, the presented Merits and Numina certainly are, but...I am not sure what you are looking for? The rest of the chargen rules are pretty much for plain Mortals, and if you want a simple mortal, just don't take any Numina or merits related to the supernatural?

cWoD Dice Probability Chart ||| cWoD Dice Statistics Calculator ||| cWoD Alternative Armor System
            cWoD Alternative Damage Roll System ||| My explanation of cWoD Damage Levels ||| 'Interesting' Strength Attribute Stuff
            EXPLOSIVE cWoD STUFF! ||| How Technocrats don't think they are Mages

Comment

Hunters Hunted II is predominantly not about supernatural hunters. Numina is only an option. The hunters in the book are mundane mortals for the most part.

In any case, you stat human PCs and low grade supernaturals (Kinfolk, Ghoul, Formor, sorcerer etc) with this baseline.

6/4/3
              11/7/5
              Backgrounds: 5
              Virtues 7
              Freebies: 22.

Of course, to make them even more ordinary, you can make them even weaker. I would suggest:

5/3/2
              11/7/5
              Backgrounds: 3
              Virtues: 3
              Freebies: 10. (or even 0 and make them take flaws for any dots)

Throw me/White wolf some money with Quietus: Drug Lord, Poison King
              There's more coming soon. Pay what ya want.

Comment

Do regular humans even need Virtues?

Jade Kingdom Warrior

Comment

Originally posted by Shakanaka View Post
                  Technically no. Only vampires really interacts with virtues, everyone else can go without it. Vampires have certain powers that target virtues and Humanity/Path, along with the degen issue of their beast taking over them. If a human gets low humanity or virtues, nothing really happens.

Check out my Sorcerer 20th homebrew and my update to Highlander: the Gathering for 20th Anniversary edition.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakanaka View Post
                    While you don’t need them, they do help with character creation (starting courage can be used to determine base willpower before use of freebies). Additionally, they could be useful in determining interesting scenarios, especially if you use Merits and Flaws:

Courage - do they open the closet door or flee?

Conscience - can they really shoot their possessed best friend?

Self-control - revenge can be a hard thing to resist, even for mortals.

While they likely wouldn’t lose humanity like a vampire, on a botch you could give. derangement. This can be really fun to roleplay and give you more latitude to endanger your mortal players other than the threat of physical violence which can kill them quite unexpectedly.

I ran a demon campaign where a foolishly curious character attempted to summon a missing adversary from the war. He caused mass destruction in doing so that shattered glass surfaces across Chicago, killing thousands. He developed a panic disorder that in game lasted months and out of game spanned about 5 stories. Whenever he’d look in a mirror he’d have to roll to maintain his nerves. And referencing the city-wide disaster also was a trigger.

Comment

Conscience... probably only works to resist a few specific powers. Courage and self control are solid though. I wouldn't use Trategos examples, more...

-Can you resist the drugs you're addicted to/ the allure of a supernatural entity
                      -Can you continue onwards as unatural fear grips you.
                      -Roll courage to keep your shit together (dice pool penalties ensue if you don't get enough successes)

Throw me/White wolf some money with Quietus: Drug Lord, Poison King
                      There's more coming soon. Pay what ya want.

Comment

I no longer have it, and it is for Revised rules, but WOD Mafia might have the exact rules for creating non-supernaturally aware mortals you've been looking for. It does use the Humanity system, though. However, I think it does have suggestions for what happens to regular humans if their Humanity were to drop to 0.

THWarted

Comment

Working...
                        X