Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Mummies still Canon?

Are they? I am curious.

I know they've been referenced in WoD20a material, at least.

Issue being that with the state of things, I don't think we're getting a Mummy 20th Anniversary.

Comment

Good to know. I ask because I have a VtM plot line invovling a hedge mage mummifying some kindred and it got me thinking about actual mummies.

Comment

Define Mummy and canon because both are all over the place.

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post
          Define Mummy and canon because both are all over the place.
          Mummy: the undying who have been subject some iteration of the Spell of Life.

Canon is trickier now that I think about it.

Comment

Originally posted by omenseer View Post

Mummy: the undying who have been subject some iteration of the Spell of Life.

Canon is trickier now that I think about it.
            the pre-Reckoning immortals from 1st and 2nd ed or the post-Reckoning ones from Resurrection?

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
            Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post

the pre-Reckoning immortals from 1st and 2nd ed or the post-Reckoning ones from Resurrection?

This.. and then once you get into that you have the other cultures of M:TR that don't fit but are called Mummies.

Comment

Reckoning is the Maelstrom?

This musing definitely includes the South American and Wu T'ian variants.

Comment

They're as canonical as you want them to be. I don't think we have any sort of official fan organization or anything that decides such things. So you can use the original ones (including or excluding the Chinese and American immortals), the Resurrection ones, or ignore them altogether as you see fit.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                  Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Fair. I just try to be mindful of these sorts of things.

My first RPG experiences were on Krynn so being mindful of the canon without letting it get in the way is something I've geared to since an early age.

Comment

They appear to be. Anecdotally i have a Mummy pc in my WoD crossover game. She's doing pretty well.

Comment

Since Onyx Path does not have the license to create a Mummy 20th Anniversary Edition they have been limited to small references. I backed the WoD Ghost Hunters Kickstarter just because it has a write-up of the Ashukhi Corporation from Mummy: the Resurrection.

Early on, new White Wolf mentioned planning to add Mummy to their One World Of Darkness, but who knows if that is still the case. If it is, it is a long way off.

Comment

Originally posted by hachiman View Post
                          They appear to be. Anecdotally i have a Mummy pc in my WoD crossover game. She's doing pretty well.
                          I have a couple of mummy NPCs in my ongoing Werewolf game. One they know about (although, in character, they are a bit clueless since the NPC Silent Strider left out some details on purpose) but the other is a plot whammy I am keeping quiet for now. Crossover can be so much fun if you play your cards correctly.

Comment

Mummies have to be canon to some degree given the backstory with the Followers of Set and the Children of Osiris. They’re certainly more balanced for a Vampire campaign than introducing a Mage or Garou would be.

For quick-and-dirty version in V20 give them a “Generation” but run it in reverse (a newly risen mummy is “8th Gen” while one nearly ready to go back to the Underworld to recharge is “13th Gen”), replace Blood with Sekhem (recharges X per day at sunrise) and limit them to the Auspex, Necromancy and Thaumaturgy disciples. They can heal by spending Sekhem like Vamps spend blood and take no damage from sunlight, but fire is still aggravated and they can’t feed to quickly recover Blood/Sekhem either. Torpor is normal (except their spirit is in the underworld) and Final Death drops them into Torpor/the Underworld as if their Humanity were 4 points lower (so a saintly Humanity 10 can return in a month, a Humanity 7 in half-a-century, and 4 or less needs a millennium).

That’s nowhere near as exact as having the actual rules, but it’s “close enough” for most campaigns; particularly if you want to keep your players on relatively even ground and don’t want to deal with a lot of different mechanics.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris24601 View Post
                              Mummies have to be canon to some degree given the backstory with the Followers of Set and the Children of Osiris. They’re certainly more balanced for a Vampire campaign than introducing a Mage or Garou would be.

For quick-and-dirty version in V20 give them a “Generation” but run it in reverse (a newly risen mummy is “8th Gen” while one nearly ready to go back to the Underworld to recharge is “13th Gen”), replace Blood with Sekhem (recharges X per day at sunrise) and limit them to the Auspex, Necromancy and Thaumaturgy disciples. They can heal by spending Sekhem like Vamps spend blood and take no damage from sunlight, but fire is still aggravated and they can’t feed to quickly recover Blood/Sekhem either. Torpor is normal (except their spirit is in the underworld) and Final Death drops them into Torpor/the Underworld as if their Humanity were 4 points lower (so a saintly Humanity 10 can return in a month, a Humanity 7 in half-a-century, and 4 or less needs a millennium).

That’s nowhere near as exact as having the actual rules, but it’s “close enough” for most campaigns; particularly if you want to keep your players on relatively even ground and don’t want to deal with a lot of different mechanics.
                              So mummies in WoD have the same, getting weaker with time aspect that mummies in CoD do?

Comment

Working...
                              X