Are Mummies still Canon?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by omenseer View Post
    So mummies in WoD have the same, getting weaker with time aspect that mummies in CoD do?
    I'm not sure how its down in CoD, but in WoD, Mummies spend time in the underworld gathering spiritual energy that they use to bring their mortal body to life. Over time that energy depletes and their spirit has to go back into the underworld to recharge again... during which time the body is usually secured in some type of tomb for safekeeping.

By default a mummy loses 1 point of this energy every decade with a maximum of 10 stored if memory serves... but that's assuming they lead a quiet uneventful life; if they need to use magic or rapidly heal they can burn through it pretty quickly... thus PCs often bounce between the living world and the underworld pretty regularly because its possible to gather the energy needed in short order if you're motivated, but the default NPC mummy spends years or even decades gathering the energy needed as a sort of extended holiday.

Note too that WoD mummies are utterly immortal. Even if only a hint of ash remains of their old body, the mummy can spend the spiritual energy they gather to reconstitute it (possibly taking several gathering attempts to get enough to fully restore it). Do enough damage though and most NPC mummies will be out of your hair for a couple decades or even centuries.

Comment

This thread makes me want a Mummy "5th" Edition, that makes mummies not more common but more general as to what they can be or where they come from. And even though not much is being stated about the Maelstrom and all that in V5, it's safe to assume that the Underworld is still a stormy mess, and many things can either wake up or be put to sleep.
      I believe mummies could be more akin to Mummy the Curse and Vampires (or even Wan Kuei that only wake up after thousands of years). And be possible in every continent.

But, it doesn't seem Mummies were uncanonized. Not really. But things like the Wan Kuei, I would say yes, you don't hear nothing from them in a long long time.

Strange... When coincidence seems too convenient, I prefer to call it fate.

-Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain d=

Comment

Originally posted by Chris24601 View Post
        I'm not sure how its down in CoD, but in WoD, Mummies spend time in the underworld gathering spiritual energy that they use to bring their mortal body to life. Over time that energy depletes and their spirit has to go back into the underworld to recharge again...
        Originally posted by Chris24601 View Post
        By default a mummy loses 1 point of this energy every decade with a maximum of 10 stored if memory serves...
        This was true in the earlier editions does not seem to be the case as of Mummy: the Resurrection. Amenti live an ageless life of 60 years plus ~10 per level of teh BA background unless killed (see the BA background description on page 64 of Mummy the Resurrection. Of course, use whichever option works best for you.

Comment

Originally posted by omenseer View Post

So mummies in WoD have the same, getting weaker with time aspect that mummies in CoD do?
          No, WoD Mummies maintain full potency throughout their life cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasM View Post
            No, WoD Mummies maintain full potency throughout their life cycle.
            As pointed out in the previous post; yes and no.

Mummy: The Resurrection completely changed Mummies from the ground up. The entire premise there was that 1-2e mummies’ souls were ground up and spackled onto the souls of recently deceased modern people... basically making them yet another “you used to be a normal person, but now you’ve become [insert splat title here] in a hopeless struggle against the End Times” that was pretty much the sum total of the Revised-era oWoD creative process.

I don’t think I even finished the Resurrection core book... it was another creatively exhausted paint-by-numbers (right down to 5-9 archetypes with boon, flaw and magic focus) splat that had only superficial associations with the pre-Revised concept.

I much prefer original recipe Mummy; you are actually an ancient being who has lived through history and must struggle with maintaining their memories and finding purpose in an endless life (and could therefore be inserted into any oWoD game as their themes work on a personal level regardless of the splat-related themes they’re joining into). It was something unique as a player option in the World of Darkness.

As such, my knowledge of and experience with Mummies is almost entirely the 1-2e varieties (where Ba did degrade with time).

Comment

Great to see a few people who understand about Mummy The Resurrection!!
              I'm currently playing a campaign with other 4 friends (+ GM) and we really liked the "good guys felling".

Do you guys know if there's an errata for the book?
              I just found this link with some Question and Answer: https://web.archive.org/web/20070224.../MummyFAQ.html
              But I really doubt that's all there is to fix the game.

Or some advice about broken stuff that we would be advised to stay away from?
              Or even Tips on how to play it better? Like "don't forget to use Relic, they are very good".

If you like Alchemicals, please check out my DeviantArt Gallery!!
              - 5 Magic Materials BeamKlaves and Gyroscopic Chakrans ? OK
              - Autochthonia updated World Map? OK
              And many more! http://efq.deviantart.com/gallery/48131405/Alchemicals

Comment

Originally posted by Yukiartic View Post
                Great to see a few people who understand about Mummy The Resurrection!!
                I'm currently playing a campaign with other 4 friends (+ GM) and we really liked the "good guys felling".

Do you guys know if there's an errata for the book?
                I just found this link with some Question and Answer: https://web.archive.org/web/20070224.../MummyFAQ.html
                But I really doubt that's all there is to fix the game.

Or some advice about broken stuff that we would be advised to stay away from?
                Or even Tips on how to play it better? Like "don't forget to use Relic, they are very good".
                Sadly there isn't any additional errata of which I am aware. As I remember, the Mummy Players' Guide retconned a couple of things, but did not include true errata.

My best tips as a ST are:

* Give your players lots of Background points. The Backgrounds, like in Mage, are VITAL. You can award them during play as the characters develop or you can let them have them all up front. I leaned toward the former when I ran my game.

* If the game is not set in the lands of faith, consider easing the difficulty of regaining Sekhem. Otherwise it is prohibitively difficult.

* Consider adding in custom "additions" to the Web of Faith. Perhaps the Shemsu Heru or other ancient mummies built temples around the world that could be used as both pilgrimage sites and refueling stations for the Arisen.

* If there will be vampires in your chronicle make sure someone has sufficient ranks in the Celestial Hekau and purchases the Sahu Ra spell. It is your friend.

Do you or your group have any specific questions we can answer?

Comment

Pillars of Ma'at updates MtR to 20th anniversary and touches on updating older versions as well.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...illars-of-Maat

Comment

Damian,
                    Thank you very much. I had no idea this product existed on the Storyteller's Vault and am buying it now! Now I know that you have to go to the Storyteller's Vault before searching for Mummy products for it to come up. Live and learn...

Comment

Aren't mummies mentioned in the TBH 20th book?

Throw me/White wolf some money with Quietus: Drug Lord, Poison King
                      There's more coming soon. Pay what ya want.

Comment

Originally posted by MyWifeIsScary View Post
                        Aren't mummies mentioned in the TBH 20th book?
                        TBH V20 leaned pretty hard on Inauhaten's true nature being something of a mystery to the TMR. Something powerful, knowledgeable about and connected to the Underworld, but whether or not he was a Shemsu-Heru is considered up for debate.

Comment

Working...
                        X