On the subject of Rap themes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On the subject of Rap themes

I've been wathing the Showtime documentary on the Wu-Tang clan, and it got me thinking, since WOD was made in the 90s, the era of Wu-tang, are there any rap influences/themes throughout any of sourcebooks?

The Rapper template in the original Brujah clanbook (circa 1992) is deliberately patterned after IceCube from his NWA days, while the Fake Rapper is inspired by Vanilla Ice.

EDIT: Also the Kung Fu Rapper from the Thrashing Dragons Dharma book.
    Last edited by No One of Consequence; 02-20-2021, 08:23 PM.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
    Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

There was also car thief from Miami in the Ravnos clanbook (he quoted Ice-T and Body Count often but isn't a rapper per se) and gang member template from 1st edition Vampire players guide. Also Los Angeles by Night is centered around gang culture.

Warrior of the Rainbow
      Saint among the sinners
      Pure among the dirt
      Loser among winners

Comment

Originally posted by AscentionTheMage View Post
        I've been wathing the Showtime documentary on the Wu-Tang clan, and it got me thinking, since WOD was made in the 90s, the era of Wu-tang, are there any rap influences/themes throughout any of sourcebooks?

That are explicitly stated? I believe NWA is, in a number of books(like NOoC said). I also remember seeing Ice-T a few times, and maybe Public Enemy as well.

There are certainly a ton of different rap groups that one could use for inspiration for WoD games, however. Check out horrorcore: Esham, NataS, the Gravediggaz, etc. Also, older 80s/90s Three 6 Mafia screams/bleeds World of Darkness.

"Steel isn't strong, boy. Flesh is stronger."

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Larry View Post

That are explicitly stated? I believe NWA is, in a number of books(like NOoC said). I also remember seeing Ice-T a few times, and maybe Public Enemy as well.

There are certainly a ton of different rap groups that one could use for inspiration for WoD games, however. Check out horrorcore: Esham, NataS, the Gravediggaz, etc. Also, older 80s/90s Three 6 Mafia screams/bleeds World of Darkness.
          The soundtrack to the movie Judgment Night is still one of my favorite 90s albums. Especially Therapy? & Fatal's "Come and Die".

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
          Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Working...
          X