On the Subject of Open World Music

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On the Subject of Open World Music

It is my belief that the World of Darkness could benefit from a Saints row/GTA/Cyberpunk 2077/Red Dead Redemption open world game (Vampire being a likely candidate). Whether or not Paradox Interactive could pull it off without the talent and resources found in Rockstar Games is a separate can of worms entirely, what I wish to brainstorm would be the radio stations one would find in this hypothetical game. My suggestions would be Industrial (Obviously), Goth rock (also obviously), Punk (again, obviously), Goth rap, Dark wave, Dark Sythwave, Gothic Orchestral, Doom Metal, Gothic Metal, Dark Folk, and Dark Psytrance, Gothic country.

I can also see an argumant for (or againts) Classic Rap, Horrorcore, Horror Punk, Rap Metal, Thrash metal, Classic British metal, Speed Metal, Black Metal, Hard Rock, Old School Metal, Speed Metal, Urban Pop, Synth Pop, Trip Hop, Alternative country, and New Wave of British Heavy Metal.

Discuss.

Ten stations, with about 15 to 20 songs each.

Club/Techno
    Industrial/Metal
    Country/Blues
    Hip Hop/Rap
    Classic Rock/Metal
    Soul/Funk/R&B
    Classical
    Goth/New Wave/Punk/Alternative
    Big Band Swing/Rockabilly
    Latin/Dance

If expanded to 13 stations, then probably Soft Rock/Pop, Reggae/World Music, and either Talk Radio/News or Asian (J-pop/J-rock, K-pop, etc.).

If I were to pick about half the tracks for the Goth/New Wave/Punk/Alt one, it'd include Bauhaus's cover of Ziggy Stardust (I'd use Bela Lugosi's Dead, but that's a little one the nose, I think), The Damned's Testify, Sisters of Mercy's This Corrosion, Shriekback's Nemesis, L7's Wargasm, the Ramones' I Believe in Miracles, and Iggy Pop's Love Transfusion. But my tastes are weird.

Classic Rock/Metal would likely include Moterhead's Deaf Forever, Blue Oyster Cult's Veteran of the Psychic Wars, WASP's The Headless Children, Concrete Blonde's God is a Bullet, and Iron Maiden's Stranger in a Strange Land. Maybe Alice Cooper's Nothing's Free. And again, because my tastes are weird.
    Last edited by No One of Consequence; 03-02-2021, 10:35 PM.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
    Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post

Club/Techno
      Industrial/Metal
      Country/Blues
      Hip Hop/Rap
      Classic Rock/Metal
      Soul/Funk/R&B
      Classical
      Latin/Dance

If expanded to 13 stations, then probably Soft Rock/Pop, Reggae/World Music, and either Talk Radio/News or Asian (J-pop/J-rock, K-pop, etc.).

If I were to pick about half the tracks for the Goth/New Wave/Punk/Alt one, it'd include Bauhaus's cover of Ziggy Stardust (I'd use Bela Lugosi's Dead, but that's a little one the nose, I think), The Damned's Testify, Sisters of Mercy's This Corrosion, Shriekback's Nemesis, L7's Wargasm, the Ramones' I Believe in Miracles, and Iggy Pop's Love Transfusion. But my tastes are weird.

Classic Rock/Metal would likely include Moterhead's Deaf Forever, Blue Oyster Cult's Veteran of the Psychic Wars, WASP's The Headless Children, Concrete Blonde's God is a Bullet, and Iron Maiden's Stranger in a Strange Land. Maybe Alice Cooper's Nothing's Free. And again, because my tastes are weird.
      Some of the stations you suggested, latin, blues, rnb, only work if the game is Mage: the ascention, plenty of people will tell you that the translating the mechanics of mage into a game would be a herculian feat.

P.s. I though I was the only one who like W.A.S.P. Respect

Comment

Originally posted by AscentionTheMage View Post
        It is my belief that the World of Darkness could benefit from a Saints row/GTA/Cyberpunk 2077/Red Dead Redemption open world game (Vampire being a likely candidate). (...)
        I actually consider V:tM: Bloodlines to be an open world game. There is some exploration, character stats development, and multiple ways to tackle objectives. The feeding, Humanity, and Masquerade systems also give the player some considerations while going around. Of course, a game more akin to Skyrim or the ones you mentioned is another matter entirely.

Nice ideas about the radio stations.
        Last edited by Muad'Dib; 03-05-2021, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Club/Techno
          Industrial/Metal
          Country/Blues
          Hip Hop/Rap
          Classic Rock/Metal
          Soul/Funk/R&B
          Classical
          Latin/Dance

Your tastes aren't weird. I love Nemesis too (even if don't know why). But I would expand classical music radio with folk and/or movie scores (we have such a radio in Poland). I also would like Talk Radio (especially with an Robert Thorne interview and someone like Deb as a nod to Bloodlines 1) and even modern pop radio. I hate music like that (and I have to listen in 8 hrs a day at work), I don't even know most of modern pop singers but I find a brawl between 2 Cainites over Justin Bieber's song hilarious. I would also add Player's chosen MP3 and maybe some fictional signature bands like Baby Chorus or Spooky Tooth (or maybe even the one invented, I could provide lyrics, name and members but I didn't have time to form a real band). Or maybe Wind in the Hollows from Rage Across Appalachia.
          Last edited by Nail Eater; 03-06-2021, 07:23 PM.

Warrior of the Rainbow
          Saint among the sinners
          Pure among the dirt
          Loser among winners

Comment

It is my belief that the World of Darkness could benefit from a Saints row/GTA/Cyberpunk 2077/Red Dead Redemption open world game (Vampire being a likely candidate). Whether or not Paradox Interactive could pull it off without the talent and resources found in Rockstar Games is a separate can of worms entirely, what I wish to brainstorm would be the radio stations one would find in this hypothetical game. My suggestions would be Industrial (Obviously), Goth rock (also obviously), Punk (again, obviously), Goth rap, Dark wave, Dark Sythwave, Gothic Orchestral, Doom Metal, Gothic Metal, Dark Folk, and Dark Psytrance, Gothic country.

I can also see an argumant for (or againts) Classic Rap, Horrorcore, Horror Punk, Rap Metal, Thrash metal, Classic British metal, Speed Metal, Black Metal, Hard Rock, Old School Metal, Speed Metal, Urban Pop, Synth Pop, Trip Hop, Alternative country, and New Wave of British Heavy Metal.

Discuss.
            Don't you think that your selection is pretty narrow? I think that you like those genres (and they were mentioned as popular in WoD, maybe even more than IRL) but I think that it doesn't mean that every player would like it (and every character of course). Look at the quotes from various books, there are Tom Lehrer's comedy songs, Creedence Clearwater Revival folk, Sisters of Mercy goth and even one Deep Purple hard rock song.

Warrior of the Rainbow
            Saint among the sinners
            Pure among the dirt
            Loser among winners

Comment

Some of the stations you suggested, latin, blues, rnb, only work if the game is Mage: the ascention, plenty of people will tell you that the translating the mechanics of mage into a game would be a herculian feat.
              Again I can't agree with you, in early vampire sourcebooks there were quotes from songs like Astaire's Top Hat and even We are Siamese by Peggy Lee (YEAH, Disney; I know that it's now considered racist).

Warrior of the Rainbow
              Saint among the sinners
              Pure among the dirt
              Loser among winners

Comment

I think in my head, I have this image of there being two types of radio stations. There's the legit legal ones that are playing stuff that's comfortable for the various elites and "norms". Then there's a bunch of outlaw pirate stations which tend to only broadcast at night, each with its own distinct flavor. And much like GTA: Vice City and San Andreas, all of these stations would have their own host, each with a distinct personality and voice. It's be cool if it were feasible to have each of them occasionally give monologues about various subjects in-between the music. Maybe have those lead you to potential hidden locations, side quests, Easter eggs, and other fun stuff.
                I would find it personally amusing to have the public radio station be this weird parody of NPR, with the host being this absurdly pretentious stereotype of old school East Coast Intellectual/Ivy League WASPs, sort like if William F. Buckley had been a member of the golf club in Caddyshack. The music would be all classical stuff (and I'd like to dig up some interestingly obscure or historically interesting pieces), and every so often, he'd give these totally bizarre anecdotes relating to Ancient Greek history or Russian literature or the time he murdered Gore Vidal at the 1968 Democratic National Convention. And eventually during the game, it's possible to meet him, and he's actually the Ventrue Primogen.

Meanwhile, the pirate stations would include some guy who goes off on these very dark and rather pointed rants about sin, temptation, divine judgment and redemption in between playing stuff by people like Johnny Cash, Leonard Cohen, Nick Cave, and Tom Waits.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.

Comment

I think in my head, I have this image of there being two types of radio stations. There's the legit legal ones that are playing stuff that's comfortable for the various elites and "norms". Then there's a bunch of outlaw pirate stations which tend to only broadcast at night, each with its own distinct flavor. And much like GTA: Vice City and San Andreas, all of these stations would have their own host, each with a distinct personality and voice. It's be cool if it were feasible to have each of them occasionally give monologues about various subjects in-between the music. Maybe have those lead you to potential hidden locations, side quests, Easter eggs, and other fun stuff.
                  I would find it personally amusing to have the public radio station be this weird parody of NPR, with the host being this absurdly pretentious stereotype of old school East Coast Intellectual/Ivy League WASPs, sort like if William F. Buckley had been a member of the golf club in Caddyshack. The music would be all classical stuff (and I'd like to dig up some interestingly obscure or historically interesting pieces), and every so often, he'd give these totally bizarre anecdotes relating to Ancient Greek history or Russian literature or the time he murdered Gore Vidal at the 1968 Democratic National Convention. And eventually during the game, it's possible to meet him, and he's actually the Ventrue Primogen.

Meanwhile, the pirate stations would include some guy who goes off on these very dark and rather pointed rants about sin, temptation, divine judgment and redemption in between playing stuff by people like Johnny Cash, Leonard Cohen, Nick Cave, and Tom Waits.
                  Cool ideas man. I was using the same idea during my games. Being inspired by NFS (Underground and later games) I created an illegal racing league (with NPCs who are racers from NYbN). As a radio stations I was using various video games and movies, some of "the best of Bilboard" or sth like that, with commercials from GTA games (Grin is obviously a Magadon product). But sometimes on the same frequency the pirate radio station can be heard and, if the players properly recognize the place (like i. ex. DJ is playing Manhattan by Leonard Cohen implicating where to look), they could join the racers community. I don't know what you mean by "William F. Buckley etc" but it's obiviously a joke about american reporters (and one of the few that I know more than just by reputation is Sander Vanocur) but I like te idea of Gore Vidal being Primogen (but not specifically Ventrue).

But I think that if there would be a pirate station there should be one, no more (maybe the one with player's music, like Integrity in GTA. More of them would spoil the impression.

EDIT: And of course there should be commercials of various products, from Magadon drugs, to Ashukhi, to Shinzui Industries to mortal owned firms and other topics like social programs (proposition No. ###) or elections campaigns.
                  Last edited by Nail Eater; 03-07-2021, 08:20 PM.

Warrior of the Rainbow
                  Saint among the sinners
                  Pure among the dirt
                  Loser among winners

Comment

Razor Radio
                    The City's nightly barrage of power metal and associated metal styles. The host is Stacy Blades, seen by many as the living incarnation of 80s metal. This is a little ironic, as she's actually a vampire. Her broadcasts are often peppered with calls for rebellion against the status quo and more than a few thinly veiled rants against the Prince and his supporters (as well as the current state of pop music and culture, shitty comic books, and so on). In spite of her clear Anarch leanings, the powers that be largely leave her alone, as she seems mostly content to have her radio show and vent over the air. At some point during the game, she probably becomes a potential source for various side quests, depending on the character's leanings.

Playlist:
                    • WASP - Ballcrusher
                    • Warlock - I Rule the Ruins
                    • Whitesnake - Still of the Night
                    • Iron Maiden - Wasted Years
                    • Twisted Sister - Burn in Hell
                    • Dio - Stand Up and Shout
                    • Halloween - I Want Out
                    • Judas Priest - The Green Manalishi
                    • Lita Ford - Out for Blood
                    • Moterhead - Orgasmatron
                    • Accept - Balls to the Wall
                    • Michael Monroe - Dead Jail or Rock n Roll
                    • Black Sabbath - The Mob Rules
                    • Alice Cooper - Freedom or The World Needs Guts, either one
                    • Anthem - Immortal Bind
                    • Bullet - Hammer Down
                    • Motley Crue - Livewire
                    • Meat Loaf - The Monster is Loose
                    • Manowar - Call to Arms
                    • Cinderella - Somebody Save Me

Comment

Razor Radio
                      The City's nightly barrage of power metal and associated metal styles. The host is Stacy Blades, seen by many as the living incarnation of 80s metal. This is a little ironic, as she's actually a vampire. Her broadcasts are often peppered with calls for rebellion against the status quo and more than a few thinly veiled rants against the Prince and his supporters (as well as the current state of pop music and culture, shitty comic books, and so on). In spite of her clear Anarch leanings, the powers that be largely leave her alone, as she seems mostly content to have her radio show and vent over the air. At some point during the game, she probably becomes a potential source for various side quests, depending on the character's leanings.

Playlist:
                      • WASP - Ballcrusher
                      • Warlock - I Rule the Ruins
                      • Whitesnake - Still of the Night
                      • Iron Maiden - Wasted Years
                      • Twisted Sister - Burn in Hell
                      • Dio - Stand Up and Shout
                      • Halloween - I Want Out
                      • Judas Priest - The Green Manalishi
                      • Lita Ford - Out for Blood
                      • Moterhead - Orgasmatron
                      • Accept - Balls to the Wall
                      • Michael Monroe - Dead Jail or Rock n Roll
                      • Black Sabbath - The Mob Rules
                      • Alice Cooper - Freedom or The World Needs Guts, either one
                      • Anthem - Immortal Bind
                      • Bullet - Hammer Down
                      • Motley Crue - Livewire
                      • Meat Loaf - The Monster is Loose
                      • Manowar - Call to Arms
                      • Cinderella - Somebody Save Me
                      IMHO nice playlist, bad general idea. First of all why vampire? I think an independent ghoul would be better (for running daytime shows for example). Plus it could become a coterie member even if as a thrall (something like in Coteries of New York). It could also lead to special dialogue options that could be used as a leverage on Elders or Anarchs (or a source of troubles). Second it could be used (randomly, if it would be technically possible if not as a part of a playlist) to play songs indicating that DJ is connected to other WoD beings (from this point there are only a few steps to using a fictional band, like Spooky Tooth, a GW thrash metal icon from early 90's). I still would add some fictional bands, maybe from earlier sourcebooks, like mentioned Spooky Tooth, Hecate's Fiasco (from 1st edition Toreador clanbook, a band run by a speed metal guitarist template during his mortal days) or N-testynz (grindcore band formed by Nosferatu).
                      Last edited by Nail Eater; 03-11-2021, 08:01 PM.

Warrior of the Rainbow
                      Saint among the sinners
                      Pure among the dirt
                      Loser among winners

Comment

Originally posted by Nail Eater View Post

IMHO nice playlist, bad general idea. First of all why vampire?
                        Because she was a character someone played in my Masquerade game about ten years ago, and she sort of took on a life of her own. It just amuses me to have her as a late night DJ.

I'm also just going off the general idea that any sort of GTA/Saints Row/Cyberpunk 2077 type open world/city game is, more likely than not, going to be a Vampire one. At least in its first iteration. So the general station idea is based around the idea that it'd be in a Vampire: The Masquerade open city RPG. (I'd call it Vampire: Night City if Cyberpunk hadn't already used the name.)

The problem with fictional bands is that it's more trouble (and time and money) than most video game creators can realistically spend. It's one thing if you just have a small group doing your score and instrumental soundtrack (Dragon Age: Inquisition, for example), but trying to create multiple fictional bands, each with its own distinct sound and original songs is a lot harder. A single band - like the one from first edition Chicago by Night, whose name I'm sadly blanking on at the moment - is more feasible, especially if you can build a single story arc of the over all game narrative around the PC's interactions with them.

Comment

If I were being totally self-indulgent, I'd end up making stations that play nothing but a single artist or group, including ones devoted to WASP, Alice Cooper, Iggy Pop, David Bowie, Whitesnake, Johnny Cash, Leonard Cohen, and Queen.

Comment

Because she was a character someone played in my Masquerade game about ten years ago, and she sort of took on a life of her own. It just amuses me to have her as a late night DJ.
                            OK, That's understandable. Me too, I would like to see my favourite characters/NPCs in a game (that's why I'm interested in Princes of Darkness mod for CK series)

The problem with fictional bands is that it's more trouble (and time and money) than most video game creators can realistically spend. It's one thing if you just have a small group doing your score and instrumental soundtrack (Dragon Age: Inquisition, for example), but trying to create multiple fictional bands, each with its own distinct sound and original songs is a lot harder. A single band - like the one from first edition Chicago by Night, whose name I'm sadly blanking on at the moment - is more feasible, especially if you can build a single story arc of the over all game narrative around the PC's interactions with them.
                            It's not a very big problem. Take a young band dying to become famous (there are plenty of them), tell them what you need (or write some lyrics and let them do the music), provide the studio near their hometown and puff, you've got a fictional band (and the real band gets the promotion they crave so much). I know what I'm talkin about, I worked with some young bands. Hell, if someone would ask me I could provide the lyrics, band name, logo, members names and general image and get a band to do that. Look at GTA series, they have 4 Love Fist songs (but 2 of them can hardly be called songs), and OG Loc. It's easier if you don't use a "known" lore friendly band but invent one for the game.

And I think you've got Baby Chorus on your mind.

Warrior of the Rainbow
                            Saint among the sinners
                            Pure among the dirt
                            Loser among winners

Comment

Originally posted by Nail Eater View Post

I have to listen in 8 hrs a day at work
                              Dude just get spotify or their alternatives, pretty much the same thing but you can chose the songs, plus you can pay a monthly fee and get rid of the adds.

Comment

Working...
                              X