Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remember when they said there is gonna be a tv show.?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eh. I see it as a cynical corporate attempt to capitalize on market devisions. There's nothing wrong with progressive moves, but when it feels forced, when it's done badly enough that it encourages people to take the other side(see The Last Jedi) it's politically counterproductive and the show suffers. Someone waving flags before the show has even aired?

That's a red flag
    (but not the good kind)

Throw me/White wolf some money with Quietus: Drug Lord, Poison King
    There's more coming soon. Pay what ya want.

Comment

Originally posted by MyWifeIsScary View Post
      Eh. I see it as a cynical corporate attempt to capitalize on market devisions. There's nothing wrong with progressive moves, but when it feels forced, when it's done badly enough that it encourages people to take the other side(see The Last Jedi) it's politically counterproductive and the show suffers. Someone waving flags before the show has even aired?

That's a red flag
      (but not the good kind)
      Yeah, that's not the topic of this thread nor will it be. Please move on, guys. CELEBRATE THE TRIUMPH OF WORLD OF DARKNESS!

MILLIONS OF NEW FANS!

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Forum Terms of Use
      the Contact Us link.

Comment

I'm going to admit that I'm sad that this will probably be in a new city like Toronto, though I can hold out hope that it will be in a pre-existing one like LA or New York--I'm also sad if it is. The sheer power of the production and desire for freedom from the project means that almost certainly preexisting lore will be overwritten for whatever canon characters they choose to make. Crazy as it sounds I wish they would include something like Helena Panhard from New York City or signature characters.

I'd watch it about full-on Chicago with all the 5th Edition updates.

They can do a faithful adaptation of the Expanse, they can do World of Darkness the same way.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Forum Terms of Use
        the Contact Us link.

Comment

Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post
          I'm going to admit that I'm sad that this will probably be in a new city like Toronto, though I can hold out hope that it will be in a pre-existing one like LA or New York--I'm also sad if it is. The sheer power of the production and desire for freedom from the project means that almost certainly preexisting lore will be overwritten for whatever canon characters they choose to make. Crazy as it sounds I wish they would include something like Helena Panhard from New York City or signature characters.

They can do a faithful adaptation of the Expanse, they can do World of Darkness the same way.
          I’d bet on it being set in LA for two main reasons:

A) Hollywood is in LA, and that is where the writers, actors and studios are probably at.
          B) LA By Night, the webcast, may well have been suggested as a reason to why the show could work for a given audience.

Comment

I'm going to admit that I'm sad that this will probably be in a new city like Toronto...
            Maybe we'll get a Nick Knight/Nicolas De Brabant Easter egg.

Comment

I've seen too many fiasco in those years to be optimistic. After all, "Netflix adaptation" is a meme now.

Comment

Originally posted by Magister View Post
                I've seen too many fiasco in those years to be optimistic. After all, "Netflix adaptation" is a meme now.
                I see even a mediocore adaptation something that will help the brand.

Forum Terms of Use
                the Contact Us link.

Comment

It is cool that they mention they are working in a WoD universe (Darkverse?)

And intringuing they mention films and series.

Just speculation, but...how do you think this would turn out? Which do you think would be the best approach?
                  • A collection of series like the Marvel Netflix one? I.e. having a session of VtM, then if successful launching a second parallel series of Werewolf, Hunter or Mage, second session of VtM, building up to include different series on the different supernaturals after colliding in a common season such as Defenders?
                  • Focused on vampires or some other supernatural while progressively including the rest like True Blood did with werewolfs and fairies?
                  • Paralel shows with some joint episodes per season as in Arrowverse?
                  • Other?
                  Regarding inclusivity and wokeness I think it is a great goal to have it, already heavily linked with WoD since the beginning. As with all things, it can be executed good or poorly. I guess that the main problem people have is not for the sake of inclusivity per se, but on how it is sometimes translated into Gary Stu/Marie Sue characters. But there are plenty of examples of how can be done right (Jessica Jones was mentioned here), and while inherently flawed characters are not mandatory, character and story arcs are welcome. In my case, including the ones dealing with inclusivity as well.

Comment

I love all of the World of Darkness but I am hoping for a Anarch/Camarilla Vampire: The Masquerade series primarily. Everything else can spin off from that like the Vampire Diaries and its 50 sequels.

Forum Terms of Use
                    the Contact Us link.

Comment

I like how people thought the World of Darkness wasn't left-leaning politically like have you read the books?

How the defiler Wyrm is patriarchy? A vampire with the whole theme of the elders ignoring an obvious Apocalypse while the fledglings suffer has no real life subtext.

Comment

Obviously it's left leaning, sometimes questionably so (That time a villain threw their own severed dick in someone's face in the name of gender nonconformity) The issue is how it's done. Vampire fundamentally serves as social commentary. Even if you don't particularly appear to be trying so hard, it makes points. Vampire can be subtle, it can be purely alegorical, or it can literally throw dicks in faces. Like any work with so many writers, the quality can vary considerably.

Throw me/White wolf some money with Quietus: Drug Lord, Poison King
                        There's more coming soon. Pay what ya want.

Comment

Michael Burnham's problem isn't she's black or a woman. It's that she's badly written.
                          Exactly. The show was lauded and hyped as being progressive for having a black woman as the main character (played by the amazing Sonequa Martin-Green, even!) and the character ended up being the worst on the show in many peoples opinion. They also had a diverse bridge crew...whom most people still didn’t know by name at the end of the first season. They really dropped the ball as far as representation goes, I felt. They improved in later seasons, though

Not that it’s likely to happen with these show runners, but I was just validating CK’s concerns. Inclusivity can be handled badly, and deserves to be done right.

Also, Vykos tossing his tackle on the table was for shock value only, and (most likely) wasn’t intended as a representation of non-binary gender inclusion.

Comment

I quite like Discovery. Emperor Georgiou is my fave, obviously, but I like pretty much the whole cast. Michael Burnham isn't that much of a problem to me, she's just a bit, well, samey sometimes. But then that happens to many protagonists.

I think sometimes we expect more from certain shows, or certain writers, or certain actors. But we need to let everyone have the chance to phone it in once in a while, and not hold double standards.

There are some highly praised shows where I was screaming at the TV the whole time because the characters are as dumb or crappy in the final season as they were in the first season. It happens.

Writer, publisher, performer
                            Mostly he/his, sometimes she/her IRL https://adam-lowe.com

Comment

Yes just having minorities doesn't make a show “woke” see legend of Korra

Comment

I'd rather it stay out of LA. We already LA by Night and VTMB before that. A TV show could interfere with the plot of the former if it doesn't pretty much cancel it. Now New York sounds rather appealing based on what we've already seen of characters like Panhard and Sowinski*. And like other such cities, it's big, cosmopolitan and tolerant, under Panhard, enough to include whatever clans, wizards and so forth that the writers fancy. Maybe Chicago too for the same reasons, although that would take more work to write a starting chronicle. I don't know what Toronto is known for other footage for shows set in New York, but VTMB2 shows that a new city can be used to write a promising concept, even if the production goes through a series mysterious calamities.

*I'd be interested to see how Julia would be handled by another writer and actor, because she's isn't an entirely sympathetic protagonist.

Comment

Working...
                                X