Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remember when they said there is gonna be a tv show.?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CTPhipps
    replied
    I'm going to admit that I'm sad that this will probably be in a new city like Toronto, though I can hold out hope that it will be in a pre-existing one like LA or New York--I'm also sad if it is. The sheer power of the production and desire for freedom from the project means that almost certainly preexisting lore will be overwritten for whatever canon characters they choose to make. Crazy as it sounds I wish they would include something like Helena Panhard from New York City or signature characters.

I'd watch it about full-on Chicago with all the 5th Edition updates.

They can do a faithful adaptation of the Expanse, they can do World of Darkness the same way.

Leave a comment:

• CTPhipps
    replied
    Originally posted by MyWifeIsScary View Post
    Eh. I see it as a cynical corporate attempt to capitalize on market devisions. There's nothing wrong with progressive moves, but when it feels forced, when it's done badly enough that it encourages people to take the other side(see The Last Jedi) it's politically counterproductive and the show suffers. Someone waving flags before the show has even aired?

That's a red flag
    (but not the good kind)
    Yeah, that's not the topic of this thread nor will it be. Please move on, guys. CELEBRATE THE TRIUMPH OF WORLD OF DARKNESS!

MILLIONS OF NEW FANS!

Leave a comment:

• MyWifeIsScary
    replied
    Eh. I see it as a cynical corporate attempt to capitalize on market devisions. There's nothing wrong with progressive moves, but when it feels forced, when it's done badly enough that it encourages people to take the other side(see The Last Jedi) it's politically counterproductive and the show suffers. Someone waving flags before the show has even aired?

That's a red flag
    (but not the good kind)

Leave a comment:

• CTPhipps
    replied
    Originally posted by Thoth View Post

I would say that is no nastier than automatically assuming a negative intent, when an individual is expressing a preference for one thing over another.
    Yes, but one of the things being preferenced is more minorities, sexual diversity, and women while the other is that they don't exist. You can imagine where White Wolf stands on this issue.

It also flat out isn't true and saying so is considered spreading falsehoods meant to advance a particular agenda. Which isn't going to go very far here.
    Last edited by CTPhipps; 04-28-2021, 03:01 AM.

Leave a comment:

• adambeyoncelowe
    replied
    Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post

I feel like talking about the dangers of inclusivity diluting a product fundamentally misunderstands the appeal of Vampire: The Masquerade in the first place.

I also note that people thought Captain Marvel would bomb because of it and it made billions, which people on some forums I frequent denied because it utterly refuted their view that broad based multicutural and inclusive writing were not actually extremely lucractive.

"go woke go broke" is also a disguise usually for much nastier motivations.

Edit:

And the Expanse and WItcher are both fantastic programs that are critically acclaimed as well as genre darlings. I think Vampire: The Masquerade will be fine.
    This. 'Go woke go broke' is a dogwhistle if ever I saw one.

Leave a comment:

• Thoth
    replied
    Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post
    "go woke go broke" is also a disguise usually for much nastier motivations.
    I would say that is no nastier than automatically assuming a negative intent, when an individual is expressing a preference for one thing over another.

I prefer Hollywood over Bollywood if only because I think having music/dance numbers instead of sex scenes is a weird way of censorship bypassing in their society, it undermines the movie at times to western preferences. I can still enjoy the movie or have fun with it, but it isn't wrong to say I could have done without it.

A while back there was a bit of blow up over in the Warhammer 40k community about how if you aren't woke enough, then you are not welcome in the hobby or the GW stores. Personally I feel it would be far more inclusive to strive for having a Black Panther and a KKK member hating each other but learning they have shared values when after a game they both agree that GW minis are over priced and the rules haven't been tested enough. The IRL political views won't go away any time soon, but at least they are playing together.

To gain inclusivity, you can't silence people. You have to be willing to listen.

That way everyone can make an informed decision on whom to complain about.

Leave a comment:

• CTPhipps
    replied
    Originally posted by Frontline989 View Post
    I have my doubts they're willing to go far into the truly dark material that make the World of Darkness what it is but I'm happy to be proven wrong.
    I dunno, the Expanse gets pretty fricking dark.

Ditto the Witcher.

Originally posted by Garygeneric View Post

I was going to voice similar concerns but with Star Trek: Discovery as an example rather than Mulan. Inclusivity is great. Inclusivity for its own sake brings things down. Please don't be Michael Burnam with fangs.

However, I would love a V:tM show in the same vein as any show listed in the article. Writing, characters, production value, all pretty much amazing. So, while I do have reservations, I also hold out a lot of hope.
    Michael Burnham's problem isn't she's black or a woman. It's that she's badly written. Indeed, one of the biggest problems of the show is that they killed the Chinese female captain in the first episode.

Because Michelle Yeoh, they later realized, was awesome.

Leave a comment:

• Trippy
    replied
    Originally posted by Garygeneric View Post

I was going to voice similar concerns but with Star Trek: Discovery as an example rather than Mulan. Inclusivity is great. Inclusivity for its own sake brings things down. Please don't be Michael Burnam with fangs.
    You are criticizing the approach, not the ideal. Inclusivity is the ideal. It is always for its own sake - people do things for the sake of inclusivity, not the other way round.

Leave a comment:

• Ventrue Busboy
    replied
    Not interested per se as I would rather craft my own stories but will cop to having been dead wrong re: no producer wanting to touch "the setting of Blade without Blade." I accept my Fool's Cap and will be eating it with a side of fries.
    Last edited by Ventrue Busboy; 04-27-2021, 09:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• tasti man LH
    replied
    So for this project I’m in “Wait and see” mode. Just to see if this project even makes it to shooting and not die in pre-production.

Leave a comment:

• Garygeneric
    replied
    Originally posted by CajunKhan View Post
    Inclusivity is wonderful so long as characters are still allowed to have character-flaws and character-arcs. The problem I've seen in some inclusivity-focused products is that the main character isn't allowed to have any flaws, and consequently any character-arc other than casting off the patriarchy. To me, an excellent inclusivity show is Jessica Jones. She's flawed, she grows as a character. A bad inclusivity product is the new "Mulan". She's flawless and the closest thing to a character-arc she has is casting off the judgement of those who claim she isn't flawless. Her only imperfection is not knowing she was perfect all along, and her growth is realizing her utter perfection. And she is so boring.

However, I would love a V:tM show in the same vein as any show listed in the article. Writing, characters, production value, all pretty much amazing. So, while I do have reservations, I also hold out a lot of hope.

Leave a comment:

• CTPhipps
    replied
    Inclusivity is wonderful so long as characters are still allowed to have character-flaws and character-arcs. The problem I've seen in some inclusivity-focused products is that the main character isn't allowed to have any flaws, and consequently any character-arc other than casting off the patriarchy. To me, an excellent inclusivity show is Jessica Jones. She's flawed, she grows as a character. A bad inclusivity product is the new "Mulan". She's flawless and the closest thing to a character-arc she has is casting off the judgement of those who claim she isn't flawless. Her only imperfection is not knowing she was perfect all along, and her growth is realizing her utter perfection. And she is so boring.
    My issue with Mulan live action isn't the inclusivity. It's the fact it was filmed in lands seized from the local ethnic population currently stuffed into internment camps.

I'd argue that the portrayal of the Huns as said ethnic people was also wildly disgustingly racist.

Leave a comment:

• IanWatson
    replied
    Originally posted by Thoth View Post

Perhaps I am showing my age, but didn't White Wolf have an official event called "Graduate your Game" where you could turn in your 3rd edition D&D core book to receive a 2nd Edition Exalted core book for free, complete with PDF diploma for upgrading to the "superior game"? This was back around 2008.
    1) that was 15 years ago
    2) Onyx Path is a completely different company from White Wolf
    3) marketing decisions have no bearing on forum rules

Leave a comment:

• Trippy
    replied
    That isn’t inclusivity though, really and Mulan is not an 'inclusivity project’. Inclusivity simply means that positive attempts are made to not marginalize people who may otherwise feel excluded from a particular thing, be that a TV show or RPG or whatever. How scriptwriters choose to create or develop characters is up to them.

Leave a comment:

• Frontline989
    replied
    I have my doubts they're willing to go far into the truly dark material that make the World of Darkness what it is but I'm happy to be proven wrong.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X