Buying a town as a supernatural?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a town as a supernatural?

So this is mostly directed at Mage and Changeling games, but the Werewolf game is also something I would be interested in. What would be the hurdles for one of these splats buying an entire town? This question is inspired by this article https://www.bobvila.com/slideshow/11...s-really-51619

I am thinking about a game that takes place in Hell Michigan, pretending that it hasn’t been bought yet. I am currently writing its past and am going to write a Hell By Night game where Mages and Changelings are sharing the Freehold it contains and the community consists almost exclusively of supernaturals including a few Wraith NPCs. I am currently researching the history of the area, and am trying to think how I should design the setting and what challenges it might face. Any suggestions?

Originally posted by Mercurial View Post
    So this is mostly directed at Mage and Changeling games, but the Werewolf game is also something I would be interested in. What would be the hurdles for one of these splats buying an entire town? This question is inspired by this article https://www.bobvila.com/slideshow/11...s-really-51619
    Simply put, does the supernatural have a mundane ID or business front that could justifiably pull out this amount of money?
    If so, i see no major issue, but then i know nothing about how american federal or state laws might work on the subject.

Well, except maybe for some other individual or group - like Pentex, the Technocracy, some government agency, cult or whatever - trying to purchase the place too in service of their own mysterious agendas and trying to sabotage any rivals in a number of ways.

I am thinking about a game that takes place in Hell Michigan, pretending that it hasn’t been bought yet. I am currently writing its past and am going to write a Hell By Night game where Mages and Changelings are sharing the Freehold it contains and the community consists almost exclusively of supernaturals including a few Wraith NPCs. I am currently researching the history of the area, and am trying to think how I should design the setting and what challenges it might face. Any suggestions?
    Will the PC group be mages, changelings, fera, wraiths or a mix of these? What traditions, tribes, kiths & etc would they be from?
    How involved will be the PCs with managing the town in the first place?
    What sort of place of power, arcane resonance or kinds of spirits/critters lurk around it?
    What kind of story or plots do you have in mind actually?
    Answering each of these things should point out directions and/or complications for you to explore as ST in the future.
    Last edited by Baaldam; 06-27-2021, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Aside from the basic question of financial means, the question is "how big is Hell, Michigan"? The bigger the town, the more affluent parties you will need involved, or the more affluence that individual parties are going to need to possess. Depending on the answers to those questions (which members of which splat bought what?), the local balance of power will vary. If you want the Mages and the Changelings to have approximately equal influence, you need them to have an equal material investment in the town, or have the one not contributing finances be providing something other kind of indispensable service to your supernatural community.

"Dark Alliance: Vancouver" features an entire village taken over by a Tribe from WtA. I'm blanking on the name atm, but it's located in the Fraser Canyon, close to a location named "Hell's Gate" (bit of funny coincidence there). In their case, the entire population consists of Get of Fenris and their Kinfolk, which can be justified when you're talking about a community of a hundred or so people. But that might be an alternative solution: rather than have the town be bought up, have its entire history be supernatural, with the first settlers going in with the goal of setting up a haven for the paranormal, and keeping it that way by subtly driving out normal people through "bad luck," "hauntings," etc.

Comment

First of all how would you expell mortals from there? An entire supernatural community would hardly be useful for Changelings cause (if I remember correctly) they need humans dreams, emotions and creativity to survive. Second you will need groups that won't tear each other apart (as far as I know Verbena and Dreamspeakers go along well with Changelings; you also could add some Fianna but, on the other hand, most Garou don't like mages). And another thing: how and what for? How, cause each character (PCs and NPCs alike) should have a reason to move there. And what for: how long you would run adventures about fighting with supernaturals? Believe me, sometimes the hardest enemies are humans. I personally analysed many crossover ideas officially published and found only those:

Cainites and Garou:
        In Clash of Wills, Ventrue Chronicles amd Under A Blood Red Moon Cainites are attacked by Garou, if they win they could make them their slaves. In Giovanni Chronicles part III Cainites fight with a pair of Garou and (after a fight) could find their child, a newborn metis (I allowed my PCs to keep the child, just for fun, a little crinos wearing diapers was hilarious). In New Orlean by Night PCs meet Samuel Haight. In Dark Tower, an adventure from White Wolf magazine, PCs are attacked by a Fianna pack. In Dark Colony Cainites are attacked by Wendigo pack hunting for a Nexus Crawler.

Mage and Garou:
        In Book of Chantries mages (PCs) could be attacked by Garou hunting for Samuel Haight. In Rage Across Australia a mage merges in the Garou affairs during first adventure.

Garou and Changelings:
        In Rage Across Appallachia a song by Jack Diamond, fae country singer, could help them in later parts of the adventure. In Rite of Passage some of the PCs could be abducted by a pair of changelings. In Rage Across New York a pair of Changelings provoke two septs to fight each other and PCs have to stop them.

Garou and Cainites:
        In Under a Blood Red Moon PCs could ally with an Abomination

Garou and other Fera
        In Rite of Passage PCs could befriend a gurahl. In Rage Across Amazonia a balam could help PCs in their hunt for Samuel Haight

Garou, Cainites and Mages:
        They could become allies in their hunt for Samuel Haight in Chaos Factor

Garou, Changelings and Wraiths
        Sept of the Green description from Werewolf: the Apocalypse corebook mentions a pair of fae and a ghost of an scottish nobleman as its residents

All splats:
        In Midnight Circus all factions could be involved. It's up to them if they could cooperate.

So as you see contacts like that are rare and usually end as a bloodbath. Of course you could go like I once did (a purely intellectual exercise):

A pack of garou: one of them have a wraith and a changeling friends (they play D&D together, wraith of course during his mortal games) and a Cainite and Mage friends from hacker's community and the other one had Nosferatu mother (she was mortal once too), and Mage, Cainite x2 and Kuei Jin friends (other musicians).

Warrior of the Rainbow
        Saint among the sinners
        Pure among the dirt
        Loser among winners

Comment

The above-mentioned Dark Alliance also contained a Cainite-Garou truce. But WW decided to blow it up by Revised. Cooperation between supernaturals is a rather tense and rare occurrence in WoD. But the combo you're describing seems reasonable enough, though I don't know enough about Changeling to do more than speculate.

Another thing to consider is that the whole town doesn't need to consist of purely supernatural beings. Many of them probably have mundane family who could live there with them, possibly "in on it," possibly not.

Comment

Originally posted by Kharnov View Post
            The above-mentioned Dark Alliance also contained a Cainite-Garou truce. But WW decided to blow it up by Revised. Cooperation between supernaturals is a rather tense and rare occurrence in WoD. But the combo you're describing seems reasonable enough, though I don't know enough about Changeling to do more than speculate.
            Ok, in many places there are truces between different supernaturals (Vancouver by Night, which I forgot to mention, during an adventure a Cainite and a Garou try to break the truce, a non-aggression part between Sept of the Green and Camarilla, even in Chicago before and after Under a Blood Red Moon etc) . I only mentioned interactions from the adventures, to show how easily a truce like that can be destroyed.

Warrior of the Rainbow
            Saint among the sinners
            Pure among the dirt
            Loser among winners

Comment

For the people talking about why Changelings and Mages might settle in place together, the place of interest may equally be a Freehold or Node; i.e a "place of power" that certain Splats draw from to regain their energies (in this for the particular Splats being discussed, Quintessence for Mages and Glamour for Changelings).

Jade Kingdom Warrior

Comment

Working...
              X