Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hunter the Reckoning done with Development!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• https://www.worldofdarkness.com/news...-the-reckoning

This is the mentioned preview of Ht:R V

What doesn't kill you, makes you... stranger.

Comment

• I'm really interested in the Drive, Desperation and Creed mechanics, it really seems to use the whole hope and its antithesis as part of the game, like Hunger was made material in V5. It reminds me of the Stress mechanics of Alien RPG, which is awesome.

I'm a tad bit sad that Hunter will be practically cells and have no bigger organization, but I didn't like that whole shtick of Recoking with the Hunter's blog and "HunterNet" site either. But it doesn't seem like something too hard to employ by houserule or simple statement.
      Looks like it will be something between Hunters Hunted and the Reckoning, but it won't be as similar to Hunter the Vigil as I thought. But it might be that they are making a very basic setting to really permit it to be taken anywhere from there, and I agree with the approach. Better to have a solid base that covers the low-level side of things, then having a game that tries to go through all levels and scales. I'll be on the lookout for more on this game, but it looks promising.

And yeah, we were all taken by surprise by it. Almost out of the blue. XD

Strange... When coincidence seems too convenient, I prefer to call it fate.

-Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain d=

Comment

• For what it's worth, my personal play style with HtR was to ignore the Imbued and play up Bystanders from the Player's Guide; so this abandonment of the Imbued in the new edition, while quite surprising, is also not a problem for me.

I'm curious if the new edition's Drives and Creeds well align with the first edition's Virtues and Creeds? I hope so; I actually enjoyed that part of the original game. But I won't mind the Edges being reworked as something a bit more Endowment-like.

I've generally been underwhelmed by V5; but then, Vampire has never been a gameline that particularly interested me. H5, on the other hand, may well be something I end up picking up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ragged Robin View Post
          if they were so smart how come I bound one with prime and spirit?
          Cause your ST allowed that 🙂?

Warrior of the Rainbow
          Saint among the sinners
          Pure among the dirt
          Loser among winners

Comment

• Originally posted by Nail Eater View Post

Cause your ST allowed that 🙂?
            Allowed my ass, he made a stipulation you have to prime 3 spirit 5 prime min, learn the damned things true name and a big pile of succeses on arete If he said no at that stage I'd have bound him with a cricket bat and rope .
            Last edited by Ragged Robin; 11-01-2021, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Allowed my ass, he made a stipulation you have to prime 3 spirit 5 prime min, learn the damned things true name and a big pile of succeses on arete If he said no at that stage I'd have bound him with a cricket bat and rope .
              At this point what would stop you from binding anything with similar but adequate Spheres?

#NothingAboutUsWithoutUs
              #AutismPride
              She/her pronouns

Comment

See, I was right. He allowed you, he just didn't make it easy 😜.

Warrior of the Rainbow
                Saint among the sinners
                Pure among the dirt
                Loser among winners

Comment

• Semi-serious thought experienced today regarding axing of the Imbued: Does this mean that the Solar Exalted are going away too? (^VVVVVVV^)

Comment

• Golden Race in Dead Magic may refer to western ancestor imbued/Solar/Wan Xian, etc.

To be honest global wan gui maybe more reasonable if you consider HtR/DtF/Exalted.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rock113 View Post
                      Golden Race in Dead Magic may refer to western ancestor imbued/Solar/Wan Xian, etc.

To be honest global wan gui maybe more reasonable if you consider HtR/DtF/Exalted.
                      It doesn't seem like that's what we're getting, though, since the Hungry Dead were axed completely.

Comment

• Originally posted by Karthak View Post
                        First they do some weird shit with Vampire, then they shoot Gaia in the head, and now they've removed the Reckoning part from Hunters: The Reckoning (more like Hunters: The Gelded now)? What in the name of the Dark Father are the writers smoking!?
                        Good games weed

Comment

• Originally posted by monteparnas View Post
                          On the matter of getting rid of the Imbued, I don't think it'll be sending then wherever may be, but really ending the whole Imbuing, with any surviving Imbued either becoming NPCs or losing their powers and joining the other hunters, maybe forming new organizations.
                          And from what I've read about it, all of the necessary game systems to reintroduce the Imbued are already there: what 1e called Virtues appear to be called Drives now, and Edges appear to be more like HtV's Endowments, in that their organizing principle is not the Creeds (which are still a thing), but appear to be more of an extension of how the Numina are organized (we explicitly have Psychic Phenomena and True Faith among H5's Edges). But even with those changes, the basic skeleton is already there: Conviction, Drives, Edges, and Creeds.

What appears to be missing is the lore, where the hunters are the Chosen of the Messengers and Imbued with Edges that echo their Creeds, in a last-ditch effort to stave off the end of the world. That could easily be reintroduced as a type of Edges (call them Imbuements) which are granted by mysterious supernatural benefactors and are organized by Creed; and things like the Sight and Hunter's Code could be recast as effects of the first Imbuement that everyone with Imbuements gets. No other new game systems would be needed beyond what H5 is already providing.

The only thing lost is the “imminent end of the world” aspect; as monteparnas suggests here, it may be that there were Imbued for a time, around the end of the last millennium; but when the world failed to end, their benefactors essentially said “oops; we didn't need to do that after all” and stopped Imbuing hunters. Reintroducing the Imbued would then theoretically involve justifying the Messengers returning and taking up the practice again. In short, they'd need to be recast in a way that makes sense without the “latter days metaplot” that dominated the World of Darkness from 1999–2003.

But even if they were to be brought back, I'm fine with them no longer being central to the game. As I said in my first post to this thread, my personal play style for HtR was to go with Bystanders (and then only because of the game benefits of Bystander-style Conviction and access to a handful of Merits designed to help them maintain agency in the face of Delirium/the Fog/the Mists); the “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” vibe was never my thing. I liked the Conviction/Virtues/Creeds stuff, and regretted that Bystanders didn't tap into any of that. I'd be okay with the Imbued being reintroduced as one option among many, for those who like them; but I really like how it looks like this will make all of the things I liked about the original HtR available to me without forcing me to take on all of the things I didn't like.

BTW, is there any news on how this is progressing?
                          Last edited by Dataweaver; 01-30-2022, 12:52 AM.

Comment

• I don't remember we getting anything else other than those blogs on the official WoD website about Hunter, and things have been quiet for all the end of 2021 and all this January of 2022. I don't know when more will be revealed. The V5 Inquisition book is scheduled for March (at least the Renegade site tells us so, but the Sabbat book didn't arrive at the release date written at the site so...). It seems there is no rush, and even though that is good, I kind of miss getting the hype and antecipation with each new info they put out. Things have been quiet from Paradox's WoD studios for a while. Last thing I remember was that free surprise New Year's chronicle for V5.

Strange... When coincidence seems too convenient, I prefer to call it fate.

-Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain d=

Comment

• It wasn't really a surprise, Renegade had announced there was something coming for New Year's.
                              The Inquisition book was originally scheduled for December, being postponed alongside the Sabbat, due to shipping delays, initially to late January, and postponed again now to March, for the same reasons. The SI books are apparently stuck in shipping as far as we know.

As for Hunter News, It's odd that there has been little news regarding it, considering the writing was finished months ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by SetiteFriend View Post
                                As for Hunter News, It's odd that there has been little news regarding it, considering the writing was finished months ago.
                                Not really. WoD/Renegade news concerning books has pretty much followed the pattern of announcement of the book and then we don't hear about it again until they're ready to put it on sale. I wouldn't expect to hear any news until the book is ready for pre-sale.

Community Content
                                Hunters Hunted II Into the Darkness
                                V20 Sleepy Hollow

Comment

Working...
                                X