Demon: the Fallen - Mold Earth error?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demon: the Fallen - Mold Earth error?

All of the Lore of Earth evocations use the Survival ability except for the Mold Earth evocation which uses crafts. Given that you aren't really creating anything complex with this evocation and making crude structures should be covered under Survival am I right in thinking that this was probably a mistake?

Nope it's crafts, your crafting something.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight View Post
      Nope it's crafts, your crafting something.
      But it's a limited, crude crafting akin to building your own outdoor shelter, which is a Survival task.

Comment

Still crafting something. However you house rule it is up to you but the lore comes from the house of artificers and builders. Not preppers and survival experts
        Last edited by Dwight; 12-17-2015, 12:23 AM. Reason: reasons

Comment

My 2 cents.

Honestly, the characteristic + skill for Lores was a bad idea from beginning. Exactly for the same reason as seen here, and this is not the worst example. What has fire to do with survival? No, do not tell me you rub to sticks together to make fire or I will run of screaming. Or medicine with death? You are the angel of creation even in your limited form, Lore should not work along human logic, and they do not, obviously
          I dropped the whole shebang and use Permanent Faith/2 + Lore. Period.

Comment

This is the reason I house rule it to lore + permanent faith for the roll.

Comment

Actually, sometime ago I houseruled the Lores, creating corresponding Wisdoms (asymetric Knowledge). These Wisdoms are organized halfway between the Mage's Spheres and the Changeling's Realms (Life Wisdom, Matter Wisdom, Forces Wisdom, Demon Wisdom, Spirit Wisdom, etc. ), they are 10 and interact differently with each Lore (it's not "1 Wisdom for each Lore").
              So, for example the Lore of Earth used the Demon Wisdom for the 1st power, Matter Wisdom for the 2nd/3rd/5th power, Forces Wisdom for the 4th power.
              Unfortunately I don't remember all the chart (lost when my previous computer got fried), but it's along these lines...

====================================
              "Worst English-language User" 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 running for the 2017
              [Unofficial Clanbook] Nagaraja: the Masquerade

Comment

Originally posted by Dezeroth View Post
                This is the reason I house rule it to lore + permanent faith for the roll.
                Is permanent faith not rated from 1 to 10? That can become quite powerful....

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelSD View Post

True, but on the other hand: attribute+skill basically is 1 to 10 as well, so....

Comment

Originally posted by Hexer View Post

True, but on the other hand: attribute+skill basically is 1 to 10 as well, so....
                    It has the same range but as-written that range varies across different skills and attributes. Under this 'perma faith' method, if you buy up your faith you become amazing at literally every Lore (and also have a lot of permanent faith which is pretty great in and of itself). Doesn't sound very balanced to me.

Comment

hmm yea thats something to be kept in mind definitally

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelSD View Post

It is and yes it can, I wanted the power levels to scale up a little more than they did by the book and that was an easy way to go about it.

I also wanted my players to build the character they wanted to play and not focus on what abilities they needed to hang lores off of
                        Last edited by Dezeroth; 12-14-2016, 07:01 PM.

Comment

I mean Attributes and Abilities can raise beyond 5 too, once certain thresholds (in case of demon faith 6+, but I'm not sure wether that was just a homerule) are breached, leading to dicepools going up to 20 instead of going up to 15 as with faith+lore.

My Mage 2e Homebrew

Comment

Originally posted by Flinty View Post
                            I mean Attributes and Abilities can raise beyond 5 too, once certain thresholds (in case of demon faith 6+, but I'm not sure wether that was just a homerule) are breached, leading to dicepools going up to 20 instead of going up to 15 as with faith+lore.
                            Ah I see what you mean, maybe I will change what I use. Keep in mind I prefer higher powered games with this, perhaps ability + permanent faith + lore for the roll.

Comment

Originally posted by Dezeroth View Post

Ah I see what you mean, maybe I will change what I use. Keep in mind I prefer higher powered games with this, perhaps ability + permanent faith + lore for the roll.
                              That will easily lead to very high dicepools, instead you could make Faith pools more similar to blood pools in vampire, with Perm Faith replacing Generation for the ske of pool/spending per turn. Faith points can then be spent for increased dice pools on evocations.

My Mage 2e Homebrew

Comment

Working...
                              X