The Demographics of Changeling

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Demographics of Changeling

I'm wrapping up the cleaning of the Changeling part of my database. There's a couple of novels and short stories I need to add (plus C20 when it comes out) so these are provisional numbers.

There are approximately 2400 unique fae, with 300 odd unique territories and freeholds. I'll get more detailed analysis up in the coming days, but for now, have this.

As a side stat, ~350 of the entries are dead, so about 14% of all known unique changelings have died. For obvious reasons, the 12,000 known active Inanimae or the literal thousands of commoners who fought in the Battle of Denver have not been specially added yet. As a real quick rough figure, we know 95% of Concordia is meant to be commoners, so if we extrapolate that to globally, we should actually have 6500 commoner fae on here.
    Last edited by loomer; 11-23-2016, 11:04 AM.

These are provisional and will likely significantly change as I establish time divisions, but for the time being and using mid-2004 population figures. As it stands, our bare minimum global ratio is around 1:2,810,000, which is arrived at by checking the known unique fae against the world population, as are all these figures for relevant location populations.
    In America, there is a bare minimum of 1 Changeling to every 590,000 normal people.
    In the UK, it grows to 1:390,000.
    In Canada, it grows to 1:350,000.
    Great Britain as a whole moves lower, to 1:430,000 - and England alone is 1:420,000.
    Wales, however, is 1:89,000.
    Scotland is even higher, at 1:70,000.
    Ireland of course rises to a high of 1:52,000.

When we look at individual cities though, ratios hugely vary from bare minimum national averages.
    Philadelphia is at 1:252,000 people.
    Toronto is at 1:54,000.
    Hawaii rises higher to 1:38,500.
    San Francisco is higher still (noticing a pattern? If an Immortal Eyes novel or corebook was there, you get far better representation) at 1:16,500.
    But strangely, the highest ratio is not San Francisco, the glamour-vortex and attention hog. So far, it's Richmond California. Just outside of San Francisco itself, it outstrips that city in proportion by far. There is 1 changeling for every 3,350 normal people in that city.

Comment

Comment

I'll do up a chart looking at the proportion of legacies combined and which are most prevalent in which Court later. Yes, some Seelie legacies are listed as Unseelie and vice versa - blame the writers, not me.

Comment

Great work. I like the presentation.

It's also funny to see how skewed the books are towards the nobility.

Comment

Cheers Id. And yeah - it really highlights that the Virtuous Sidhe was a huge thing in Changeling, regardless of the setting's basic conceit that the Sidhe, almost universally, are interdimensional invaders who snatch human bodies and violently oppress other fae who had been living with self-rule and self-determination with centuries, breaking them down with a combination of brute force and literal magic mind control powers. Kith by kith charts to follow shortly, but of the Sidhe with explicit courts, 58% are Seelie and 42% unseelie, which further emphasizes the Virtuous Sidhe aspect.

Here's the Legacy combos by prevalence. Lot of ugly 1s so it makes a bad graph, so have it in a terribly formatted chart instead.

Comment

This further highlights the disparity. Sidhe got more character write-ups and more detail, as well as appearing more often. So we know more about their Court and Seeming makeup than we do other fae.

Comment

Where did you see there is 29% sidhe ? I remember having read somewhere (I thing it was in Noble: the Shining Host) that commoner outnumbered sidhe at a ratio of 9:10. But that I think about it, it may have been in the Accordance War so the ratio may have changed in the meantime.

That being said, really nice job.

Comment

Originally posted by Nitenshi View Post
                  Where did you see there is 29% sidhe ? I remember having read somewhere (I thing it was in Noble: the Shining Host) that commoner outnumbered sidhe at a ratio of 9:10. But that I think about it, it may have been in the Accordance War so the ratio may have changed in the meantime.
                  I believe this compilation is from all characters written up in books. the 9:10 ratio sounds correct, but for some reason the books choose to focus a lot more on the nobility and so there are a lot more Sidhe written up than represent their numbers.

Comment

Idpersona is correct. The numbers are derived by reading every book (well, a few short stories and novels still need to be finished, along with a couple of the newer supplements) and cataloguing every mention of a unique changeling whether named or not, then cross-referencing to remove duplicates.

As for the Sidhe, they should make up only 5% of the Concordian population, but the writers focused a lot on the Sidhe. There's two reasons for that one. One is that the power brokers in a region get more attention - which is fair enough - and those power brokers are largely Sidhe thanks to the Sidhe being brutal conquerors who butchered commoner rulers and power brokers. The other reason is that the writers seemed to be more comfortable writing about the Sidhe, which was both good and bad. I referred earlier to the Virtuous Sidhe stereotype, and it definitely plays a role. Some of the line authors were very much aware that if you stop and look at it, the Sidhe are actually horrifying on many levels (even their great and noble scion, David ap Ardry, is a creature of tremendous hubris and terrible decision making) but others seemed to genuinely buy into the Sidhe party line that their rulership was all but divine in origin and they were the fairest and best of all fae.

Comment

A good breakdown of named characters. I think that the average population ratio is supposed to be around 1:20,000 for Changelings, but we cannot expect everyone to be named in the books (that would have been 16,500 characters in the US and Canada alone). Of course, some areas will have higher ratios than others.

Comment

It is incorrect to assume the breakdown is of named characters. It is of all known mentions of changelings and fae, named or not, kith known or unknown, with duplicates pruned out.

Comment

Ah ok, I didn't realise it was statiscs of NPCs. It's even more impressive.

Comment

This whole thread gets a +1 and a gold star.

Comment

Very cool. Considering the prevalence of the sidhe, it always tickled me how popular royalism apparently is in a republic! This is despite the fact the sidhe are often shown to be bastards. Do you think people are really masochists? I often think we want the pomp and ceremony of democracy but really we just want to be led. (Not all of us individually, of course, but probably all of us as a whole.)

Comment

Working...
                              X