Why are Satyrs the sexual kith?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are Satyrs the sexual kith?

Hey guys,i've been rereading changeling 2ed and i can't for the life of me understand it. Why are the satyrs considered the most sexually active kith? y'know, the goatpeople . It really boggles my mind and kinda breakss my suspension of disbelief. How come a person with goat's legs can be sexy? how is that even a thing??? does any of the two first editions of the books explains it?

In myth, satyrs were incredibly lusty and often depicted with permanent, enormous erections. They were often followers of Dionysus, god of revelry, and acted just the way you'd expect.

Also, "who come a person with goat legs can be sexy?" falls apart when you consider that quite literally thousands of furries have been doing their thing for decades now.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

It's actually part of the mythology on Satyrs in generally. For reasons I'm not entirely sure goats have a strong connection with lust in a few mythologies. Satyrs by extension were not necessarily sexy (rule 36 though some people are into that) but just extremely lustful creatures. So you're not necessarily talking about people looking at Satyrs and thinking "Holy crap that is the hottest thing I've ever seen," more that Satyrs ended up being that guy who was more than willing to try and screw anything that looked female and the proper species.

Comment

The symbolism of associating satyrs with sex goes back to like Greek mythology and theater. Satyriasis is the word for a man experiencing uncontrollable sexual desire. They're often depicted in art as having a permanent erection. Do some googling, you'll find a lot of information about the connection between satyrs and sex.

Comment

I mean, i am aware that satyrs were always the sexy ones in greek myths. i'ts just hard for me to imagine them still being so sexy in a urban fantasy setting. i just can't imagine anyone actually wanting them in their bed y'know? i'm thinking i'm just small minded

Comment

Maybe I'm missing something, but it's not like a changeling is always going to appear in their changeling form. I mean it doesn't matter if in actuality a person is goat man, if the outward shell is human then that wouldn't throw off most people. Of course there's also the shotgun method wherein one might go after dozens upon dozens of partners and maybe only get 10% but hey that still means sex with 10 different people after you've tried 100 times.

Plus this is also what Satyrs are known for. Might be that a not small amount of people are willing to overlook the goat legs for a chance to try out the reputation.

Of course there's also a good hard party. Not exactly the most ethically clean, but its not exactly unheard of for one person to get wasted and make a pass at someone they wouldn't while sober and the other person to reciprocate due to lowered inhibitions. Plus if it doesn't happen you still threw a great party and had fun.

Comment

Hmmm, i guess can understand how it happens then. It still onds a bit senselesss but alsso possiblle

Comment

Well there's also other Satyrs if that helps. I mean if anyone is unlikely to be uncomfortable having sex with someone who's part goat its a person who is part goat.

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
                  Also, "who come a person with goat legs can be sexy?" falls apart when you consider that quite literally thousands of furries have been doing their thing for decades now.
                  Then again, not everyone is a Furry though...

Comment

We also need to consider the fact that none of the changelings looks like a "normal" human, either. Redcaps have vicious teeth. Trolls are blue. Pooka have random animal features. Sidhe might be gorgeous, but they can also prove untouchable for many commoners. Humans usually don't see the fae mien, and changelings are used to having everyone look a little strange. Satyrs may have hairy legs, but they're also usually passionate and adventurous, and they're generally ready and willing as well. They're the original party animals, and they lower inhibitions in others wherever they go. They pursue their current passion with single-minded determination, which may very well verge on borderline worship of a potential lover. The passion they feel can't be stressed enough. Sidhe lovers may be sought for their beauty and power, but satyrs are sought out for their fiery passions and rugged primal allure.

Currently working on: DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action
                    Projects I've contributed to: C20 Anthology of Dreams ("No Such Thing As Dragons")

Comment

Mythologically they were epic horndogs. And once you allowed female satyrs then yeah orgy city.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Now, the real question is why aren't most Changelings Satyrs? If you assume normal fertility, random unprotected sex results in pregnancy 2.5% of the time. 50% of the children born to Changeling-Changeling pairings and 20% of the children born to Changeling-Mortal pairings are Changeling (the rest are Kinain. Considering that the average Satyr is likely getting it on four times as much as the average Boggun, Satyrs should probably be four times as common as a Boggun. They are probably getting it on four times as much as anyone else as well, as they are a) not ugly and b) not picky. Even with protection, a male Satyr is probably plowing through enough mortal women in a year to have one Changeling child and four Kinain children every other year.

Comment

Changelings are fae souls born into human bodies, so there's no guarantee that a changeling child will necessarily be the same kith as the parent.

Currently working on: DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action
                          Projects I've contributed to: C20 Anthology of Dreams ("No Such Thing As Dragons")

Comment

Short answer? Magic.

Longer answer.

Despite how they look what's important in this how they can make you feel. And satyrs are very sensual, energetic, laidback and life-appreaciating creatures.

They should give you this "wise magical surfer dude" vibe. In the world created by 90s World of Darkness, as presented in Changling, world of constant worries, anxieties, duties and responsibilities, Satyrs in general, as an idea, represent and outlet, an escape from chains of societal norms and expectations.

That is just how they think. Add their party magic, that lowers your Banality under floor and make you feel as vibrant, as you were in your youth. Free and immortal and... You get the idea. It's like a magical dru^W Ghrm... I mean, a breath of fresh air from beyond this rotten, poisoned and hopeless world. Because WoD is a world, where Weaver gone mad, then drove Wyrm into insanity, and Wyld now (like big letters Chaos, Madness and Dynamism force) is sanest and most helpful of all Three. And Dreaming is pure Wyld.

That kind of charm might work for certain Sidhe, many commoners, mortals (who know shit) and even enchanted (if they're into that). And when it doesn't work, well, one can just be around Satyr and feel better and find herself suitable partner to have all fun they want. Don't think of Satyrs as succubi or vamps - they're more of enablers - they tend help to open up wild and carnal side of others and what others will do while at it - up to them. (Or they mess things up badly, b/c Rule of Tragedy applies.)

For those reasons, it doesn't really matter, whether they have goat legs or not. And there also are Satyrs who by themselves are magically seductive (it's a Merit in their kithbook). Not all Satyrs are masters of charm and seduction, heck not all of them even care that much about being flirtatious and sexual, but they certainly have some advantages.

P.S. But essentially, yeah, Sidhe are the real perverts.
                            Last edited by Firkraag; 11-29-2016, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Are Changeling souls limited in number? I do not think they have ever set a firm cap.

Comment

Working...
                              X