The Missing Kiths

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Missing Kiths

Basically this thread is about which Kiths, that fit the game, seem to have been ignored. Which common or just suitable types of Fairy have simply been ignored.

One major type that seems to have been missed, at least among the Kithian, is the water fay. Were are the Vodniks and Nixies? Yes I know about the Nixies in Inanimae: The Hidden Way they only vaguely fit what I'm taking about. Were are the Fresh Water Kiths that can represent European Water fay?

It seems to me that the Peri, Noble Persian Fay, are missing. These winged Fay would be a rival system of Fay Nobles that would challenge the Sidhe for predominance.

The Orchi, Orcho, and Orculi, are names of nasty, brutal, illusion casting, Italian Fay. Brutal, stupid, gifted with low cunning and powers of Illusion, these creature, from which we get the word Orcs. Seem like a good choice for inclusion.

What are some of the Fay you think they forgot to put in?

What about the Norse fey? The light elves, dark elves, and dwarves were different than any of the Kiths. Or the Greek fey? The nymphs were divided into a hundred species, only a few of which resemble the existent Kiths. Of course, there can only be so many Kiths, but the diversity of the faerie races are one of the reasons why I like the October Daye and Lost Girl series.

Comment

I am honestly not sure, mostly because Changeling has this issue of treating some Kiths as both a universal concept and a particular ethnic portrayal, the Sidhe for example, are they meant to be mostly a Celtic group or nobility in general? Lost houses Add the idea taht they are the Alfar in one house and even the Leshy in another but that seems kind of odd. Should there be another Noble Kith or do Sidhe cover that completely? Do Trolls cover all honorable warrior guys or should that be another thing? Do Pooka properly cover nontrickster shapeshifters?

Comment

Part of this schizophrenic portrayal of Kiths is a result of different developers at different times having different views on the subject (and in some cases either never having considered it or just not really caring). At the time it ceased hardcopy publication back in the day, Changeling had something approaching 80 Kiths. This meant it had matched or even exceeded Vampire developer Justin Achili's one time joke that the original Dark Ages Companion sourcebook would include 74 new Bloodlines. There is an argument to be made that such a thing dilutes the themes of the existing primary Kiths. Boggins, as an example of household/community fey/spirits, is a pretty strong idea you can build a lot of different concepts around. But if you have four or five variations on the "house fey" from several different cultures or countries, the Boggins as a group can be seen as lesser for it.

Personally, I wish the original Changeling Players Guide or Storytellers Handbook had included a system for designing new Kiths, so that one could mix and match existing Birthrights and Frailties as well as incorporate new ones to build a Kith if the existing nine didn't match what you wanted.

(I always tended to view the main nine Kiths as the universal concepts that had best survived into the modern world, with the names just being the most common used in North America. I once had an all Native American/First Nations circle that included an Algonquin wendigo/redcap, an Ojibwe deer woman/satyr, and an Iroquois ohdowas/sluagh. But that's mostly just because I always enjoyed doing weird things like that.)

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
        Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

13 Standard Kiths
          10 Hsien
          14 Nunnehi
          4 Menehuni
          5 Inanimea
          3 Mer
          7 Thallain
          7 Adhene

Which totals 63, and I may have missed a couple.

Comment

I think there were six Inanimea, IIRC. (Wood, fire, water, stone, air, and manikins?)

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
            Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

I think there were only two mer. But you also have wierd rancial variants like Oba and River Hags.

Comment

Add a few from german and french World of Darkness books.

Comment

I would have liked actual Japanese Fae in the Form of Yokai/(Ayakashi/Obake/Chimi-Moryo/Insert Regional name for the broad class of Spirit) as opposed to the Hsien which just felt like they were thrown in but had hardly anything to do with Fae despite some being based on Asian Spirits that Approximate Fae. I also would have like Fairies from the Philippines like the Duende, the Tikbalang, the Kapre, and so on.

Comment

Working...
                  X