Are Changelings Powerful?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Caitiff Primogen View Post
    Honestly far more than their Arts its the Realms a Changeling has that really determines the scope of their power. You can be stacked with high level Arts and still find yourself handcuffed by not being able to influence vast categories of Realms. Alternatively with a few simple Arts and a broad suite of Realms you can create a lot of versatile, headache-inducing, and difficult to counter effects.

Going to quote this since it came up with some friends when discussing just this. Lets say I am a Sidhe and I have high levels of Soothsay and Sovereign so that all the Nobles, Vampires, Mages and even the Garou are afraid of my magic but if I don't much in Actor a gang of Soccer hooligans will put me in the hospital and all I can do in lie there and bleed.

Comment

Originally posted by JBRocky View Post
      Going to quote this since it came up with some friends when discussing just this. Lets say I am a Sidhe and I have high levels of Soothsay and Sovereign so that all the Nobles, Vampires, Mages and even the Garou are afraid of my magic but if I don't much in Actor a gang of Soccer hooligans will put me in the hospital and all I can do in lie there and bleed.
      This isn't entirely true. You can still use you Sovereign on other things, Depending on your Realms. Command their weapons to do stuff if you have Prop (that sort of thing). You have to be creative though. And C20 should change all of this anyways.

Comment

You can always target yourself there. Grandure makes them unlikely to hit you, Soothsay allows you to buff your luck..9

Comment

It's no secret the Arts were reworked for C20 so that all Arts work with all Realms, but even so, I like Holden's advice: It's best to think of changeling powers from a Realms first perspective. Don't treat them as a limiter — they're the areas of reality you have control over. The Arts are the tricks you can make them do.

Think about the Realms your character has, get to know everything that falls under the purview of that realm. Someone with Prop might not be able to light the person attacking her on fire, but she could set their clothes on fire. She might not be able to command a person to not attack, but she could command their gun to misfire. She might not be able to scry the crime lord himself, but she could scry the wedding band he always wears and listen in to what's going on around it.

And there's more, but that'll have to wait until C20 finally drops.

Charlie Cantrell
          Onyx Path Freelancer
          Changeling: The Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition, Night Horrors: Conquering Heroes, Book of Freeholds

Comment

Originally posted by PookaKnight View Post
            And there's more, but that'll have to wait until C20 finally drops.
            Boooo!

...can't wait.

Comment

Let's not forget Unleashing. Even if a character can't come up with a creative way to use his or her Arts to cause trouble for her enemies, the Dreaming certainly can. Sure, things may backfire, but wouldn't it be worth it?

Currently working on: DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action
              Projects I've contributed to: C20 Anthology of Dreams ("No Such Thing As Dragons")

Comment

Home-rules area, but I had an idea of making Realms adding additional depth by allowing changeling with Gremayre making something akin to Rituals (bunch of oWoD lines) or Pledges from Lost. Which would move skills, like opening trods and raths, saining and fostering and other courtly/communal/religious ceremonies from arts here, as well, as making Oaths a bit more expanded.
                This way, you can have a bonded animals, treaties with 'special mortals', a keeper grove, a freehold management outside of Dreaming Art and Background points. All of that, depending on your Realms levels.

The more you invest into something and the more you get translates into bigger responsibility, though, and literally every pebble has their own interests.

All it needs is just getting written.
                Last edited by Firkraag; 02-06-2017, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by idpersona View Post
                  This isn't entirely true. You can still use you Sovereign on other things, Depending on your Realms. Command their weapons to do stuff if you have Prop (that sort of thing). You have to be creative though. And C20 should change all of this anyways.
                  Correct but my example was just a quick off the top of my head idea of what neglecting your Realms will cost you.

Comment

Correct but my example was just a quick off the top of my head idea of what neglecting your Realms will cost you.
                    Don't think of it as "neglecting". Every character invests in magic, as they see fit.

Self-buffing and focus on chimeric side of things are both valid strategies (considering insane Wyrd cantrip costs), depending on which Arts you're taking and what you deal with on daily basis.

And when you encounter angry vampires and werewolfs, nothing beats good old tactical retreat in cost/effect ratio. Nothing! (Except Wayfare)
                    Last edited by Firkraag; 02-06-2017, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Yeah, you can always come back later during the daytime (for Kindred) or with silver (for Garou) if you really need to fight things out.

Comment

Originally posted by Firkraag View Post
                        Don't think of it as "neglecting". Every character invests in magic, as they see fit.

Self-buffing and focus on chimeric side of things are both valid strategies (considering insane Wyrd cantrip costs), depending on which Arts you're taking and what you deal with on daily basis.

And when you encounter angry vampires and werewolfs, nothing beats good old tactical retreat in cost/effect ratio. Nothing! (Except Wayfare)
                        Oh very true and I have done just that before, and people usually rather surprised at what a angry Sidhe can do in combat. My idea of neglecting Realms is more for players who are new to Changeling, and only look at what Arts can do. With PookaKnights post about how to views Realms is going to be my way to introduce new players instead of going straight to Arts.

Comment

Originally posted by Aya Tari View Post
                          Yeah, you can always come back later during the daytime (for Kindred) or with silver (for Garou) if you really need to fight things out.
                          "If he comes back with silver, you come back with iron. That's the Chicago way!"

Comment

My idea of neglecting Realms is more for players who are new to Changeling, and only look at what Arts can do. With PookaKnights post about how to views Realms is going to be my way to introduce new players instead of going straight to Arts.
                            In my experience this is something that just about every new Changeling player does off the bat. I certainly did. Understanding the necessity and utility of Realms is an integral aspect of Changeling magic but also one that comes in kind of obliquely compared to the way the other game lines work their mojo. They're easy to miss frankly, being far less flashy than the descriptions of all the kewl powerz in the Arts section. I received a very rude awakening when a character I'd been playing for some time suddenly encountered and outside context problem in the form of an aggressive and deadly Chimera. He could lay down hurt for days and still put some in the fridge for later... but he only had Fae 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Caitiff Primogen View Post
                              In my experience this is something that just about every new Changeling player does off the bat. I certainly did. Understanding the necessity and utility of Realms is an integral aspect of Changeling magic but also one that comes in kind of obliquely compared to the way the other game lines work their mojo. They're easy to miss frankly, being far less flashy than the descriptions of all the kewl powerz in the Arts section. I received a very rude awakening when a character I'd been playing for some time suddenly encountered and outside context problem in the form of an aggressive and deadly Chimera. He could lay down hurt for days and still put some in the fridge for later... but he only had Fae 2.
                              It doesn't help that the Arts have page after page dedicated to them, and the Realms have a 2 page spread of charts.

Comment

Working...
                              X