Commoner and Kinain Rebellion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commoner and Kinain Rebellion

Since the return of the Sidhe, Commoners and Kinain have been forced to adopt a fantasy/medieval lifestyle by the Nobility. I was thinking that rebellious Commoners and Kinain would show their contempt for the Sidhe by embracing a science fiction/futuristic lifestyle (especially rebellious Boggans and Nockers). What other non-violent/non-lethal forms of rebellion do you think Commoners and Kinain would use against Nobles?

Originally posted by Aya Tari View Post
    Since the return of the Sidhe, Commoners and Kinain have been forced to adopt a fantasy/medieval lifestyle by the Nobility.
    I have no idea where this comes from.

Charlie Cantrell
    Onyx Path Freelancer
    Changeling: The Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition, Night Horrors: Conquering Heroes, Book of Freeholds

Comment

Well, that is what the Sidhe were used to, and they reshaped the freeholds to reflect their viewpoints.

Comment

The Kithain Dream has a massive amount of weight and inertia in the Dreaming. Their society isn't going to change overnight just because human values shift a bit or a lost kith returns. For things with that level of permanence in the Dreaming, change comes slowly.

The system of kings and queens, lords and ladies for the most part persisted throughout the Interregnum even while individuals incorporated the trappings of their present. I'm not sure why wielding a ray gun instead of a sword would be any kind of act of defiance when plenty of nobles command modern business empires and help foster maker movements — especially since faerie magic makes the two pretty much evenly effective as a weapon.

The big conflicts within changeling society come from controlling and allowing access to Glamour, not the sort of voile someone wears.

Charlie Cantrell
        Onyx Path Freelancer
        Changeling: The Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition, Night Horrors: Conquering Heroes, Book of Freeholds

Comment

Well, that is what the Sidhe were used to, and they reshaped the freeholds to reflect their viewpoints.
          No? Every Sidhe has a human half they might be some what out of date but they aren't "Vampire elder who's been in torpor for 1000 years out of date" second there were plenty of Nonsidhe Nobles before the SIdhe showed up. SIdhe do not get the title background for free, anyone can buy it and the Dream upholds it. There were plenty of petty Commoner nobles before the ressurgence and plenty of new freeholds or lost freeholds restored during the Ressurgence.

Comment

While the control and harvesting of Glamour is one of the big conflicts (Seelie versus Unseelie), there are other major conflicts in Changeling. Among them are, in no particular order, Commoner versus Noble, Kithain versus Dark-Kin, Kithain versus Nunnehi, Kithain versus Thallian, and Changeling versus Kinain. I am just suggesting that one of the forms of non-violent/non-lethal rebellion that Commoners may express to show their contempt for the Nobles is to rejecting the Dreams of Fantasy for the Dreams of Science Fiction and I was wondering if people could think of other forms of non-violent/non-lethal rebellion that Commoners could express to show their contempt for the Nobles.

Comment

A Duke whose freehold is a Silicone Valley startup isn't going to be very offended that a changeling is using a wearable computer. Even beyond that, I have a difficult time seeing many changelings (noble or commoner) caring much that someone is a fantasy fan or a science fiction fan.

To my point, I said the conflict within changeling society, not external to the Kithain. The present day noble/commoner divide is primarily a control and access to Glamour conflict — those with freeholds and dreamers wield the power while everyone else starves. That's why it's so messy and not a straight up sidhe versus every other kith in existence fight.
              Last edited by PookaKnight; 01-31-2017, 04:04 PM.

Charlie Cantrell
              Onyx Path Freelancer

Comment

While the control and harvesting of Glamour is one of the big conflicts (Seelie versus Unseelie), there are other major conflicts in Changeling. Among them are, in no particular order, Commoner versus Noble, Kithain versus Dark-Kin, Kithain versus Nunnehi, Kithain versus Thallian, and Changeling versus Kinain. I am just suggesting that one of the forms of non-violent/non-lethal rebellion that Commoners may express to show their contempt for the Nobles is to rejecting the Dreams of Fantasy for the Dreams of Science Fiction and I was wondering if people could think of other forms of non-violent/non-lethal rebellion that Commoners could express to show their contempt for the Nobles.

I think you are playing up the idea that Scifi and Fantasy are really all that different and that the modern Sidhe give a crap about Tolkien vs Lucas. You want to piss of a Gwydion Duke you were subltle marks of the Unseelie court, he's not going to care if the sword you carry is a magical glowing bit of light vs something more "traditional"

This doesn't mean you couldn't have a variety of symbols for Commoner/Kinain solidarity vs Nobility but that these would be things that Changelings build for themselves rather than try and incorporate from the outside. That doesn't mean it can't be inspired by others, like wearing a hoodie with bullet holes in it.

Comment

A Lucas Cage reference?

Comment

Originally posted by PookaKnight View Post
                    A Duke whose freehold is a Silicone Valley startup
                    Startup isn't a place.

Comment

Originally posted by Firkraag View Post
                      Startup isn't a place.
                      Businesses operate out of locations, usually buildings. I suppose a cave could do in a pinch, but I don't know what the cave system is like in Silicone Valley. I'd imagine the wifi wouldn't be favorable for a tech startup.

Charlie Cantrell
                      Onyx Path Freelancer

Comment

A Lucas Cage reference?

Yes, I don't imagine "Scifi vs Fantasy' has much traction for "Rebel" but signs of actual rebellion in stories might be used by changelings(like say the Sign of the Rebel Alliance)

Comment

If a bunch of Commoners start waving around lightsabers the local Sidhe are less likely to pop their monocles in scandal than they are to start looking for some of their own.

Comment

No violent protest? Make the commoners organize local elections to choose their leadership with secret votes.

The elected will have no power (aside from his personal influence among those commoners that hold him in high regard), but it will send a strong message about what they think of "nobility".

And, if I were the local Sidhe, I would kickly try to bribe the one they elected... Unless if he is an idealist. In that case, the option of assassination should be weighted with the possibility of a revolt

Comment

Originally posted by PookaKnight View Post

Businesses operate out of locations, usually buildings. I suppose a cave could do in a pinch, but I don't know what the cave system is like in Silicone Valley. I'd imagine the wifi wouldn't be favorable for a tech startup.
                              So, you meant startup headquarters or something?

Though it might be interesting idea... Freehold, that isn't exactly a place, but a "setting". Like a website, or a startup, or yearly celebration march. When the right circumstances "click into place" it just starts to exist and participants can interact with it and each other. But when you have some piece missing, Freehold can't be accessed.

Or maybe it's too weird, I guess.

Comment

Working...
                              X