No announcement yet.

Changeling in a High school - Cliched?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changeling in a High school - Cliched?

How cliched is it to run a Changeling game set in a High school?

I ask this with very little knowledge on Changeling, but when I read through the Kiths, I just can't help but see the paralels between them and the social hierarchy of a stereotypical high school setting.
    Jock Trolls, Goth Sluagh, Popular kid Sidhe, Nerd Nockers. And I'm sure we've all had that one friend who was a bit Pervy (Satyr), one that was a bit of a caregiver (Boggan), and a bit of a prankster (Pooka).

Because it fits so well, I can't believe I'm the only one to have picked up on this. How overdone is this comparison?
    Is it fairly common for a Changeling game to be set in a school of some kind, and have the plot start out being about these kids becoming aware of how different they are. Perhaps they even slip into the Dreaming part way through class and start acting out against the teachers who are now metaphores.

Again, I haven't read much Changeling, so I don't know how viable this is. But I can't have been the first person to think this up.
    Last edited by Saikou; 02-01-2017, 10:20 AM.

Keepers of the Wyck: A Chronicle I'm running UPDATE Chapter 22: The Morning After

It's called archetypes. You can find them anywhere in our cultures. Specifically, archetypes belong to them group of memes, collectively known, as tropes.

For example, trolls are less jocks (or other jocks), and more, like gentle giants.

Some schools/groupls tend to crystallize these archetypes, others don't. Some archetypes are perpetuated as stereotypes in media and conversations, but might not actually reflect the reality.

School setting might fit changelings very well. But so do many others. I oncу considered setting a changeling game in wild west miner's town. You may have your troll Sheriff, boggan mayor, sluagh gravedigger, eshu mysterious stranger and gang of redcaps (with bloodied dirty hats and all).

But you can counsciously subvert it, as well.

Comment

High school seems horribly banal. However, I could imagine a Freehold disguised as a progressive private boarding school for Seelie Childlings or Wildlings. The Grumps would be teachers while the Kinain would be staff. Each bed would be a Dreaming Bed (similar to a level five Glamour Battery), allowing Changelings and Kinain to recover five points of Glamour per night.
      Last edited by Aya Tari; 02-01-2017, 01:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aya Tari View Post
        High school seems horribly banal. However, I could imagine a Freehold disguised as a progressive private boarding school for Seelie Childlings or Wildlings. The Grumps would be teachers while the Kinain would be staff. Each bed would be a Dreaming Bed (similar to a level five Glamour Battery), allowing Changelings and Kinain to recover five points of Glamour per night.
        While that is an interesting concept, a sort of X-men style school for changeling, that wasn't really the idea I was going for.

This would be a normal school, perhaps in a small town, perhaps in a more rural suburb. The idea is that banality is all around them, and the kids feel more human than fae. Every now and again they drift into the dreaming and become more aware of their abilities, but for the most part the stresses of school life keeps them in a near cycle of chimeric death.

The theme would then concern this breakfast club style group of students who try to take back control of themselves and decide which side of themselves takes priority.

Keepers of the Wyck: A Chronicle I'm running UPDATE Chapter 22: The Morning After

Comment

Is it a cliche or is it a trope?

But yeah, given the ages of the Seemings in 1st and 2nd edition, high school based games were fairly common. I even ran a pretty successful chronicle several years back set in a rural, small town high school. Glamour was incredibly scarce, so neither Court had any kind of stake in the town. Instead, they designated a knight to remain there and help guide any changeling through their chrysalis and keep them out of trouble until they got old enough to move away and join changeling society properly.

A school club was set up to give the changeling kids an area where they can be themselves. The unseelie kids thought it was lame and left to form their own unseelie clique. The day to day conflict was the PCs (the seelie kids) stopping whatever hair-brained scheme the unseelie kids came up this week while engaging in all sorts of anime-inspired high school hijinks. The over arching plot involved the characters dealing with a relic from their previous lives — an immortal Nazi sidhe trying to free his Fomorian mother from her eternal prison.

If you're interested in mining it for ideas, the chronicle's page is at http://sgaa.obsidianportal.com/

Charlie Cantrell
          Onyx Path Freelancer
          Changeling: The Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition, Night Horrors: Conquering Heroes, Book of Freeholds

Comment

Overused tropes are considered to be cliches.

But tropes are tools and therefore, there can be various ways how cliche can be used for creating awesome story.

Comment

Originally posted by Firkraag View Post
              Overused tropes are considered to be cliches.

But tropes are tools and therefore, there can be various ways how cliche can be used for creating awesome story.
              That could actually be a interesting part of the theme. Their Fae halves are their stereotypes exaggerated to their logical extreme, while their human sides crave to be more than just their niche.
              Perhaps the more they indulge in Glamour, the more Fae they become, changing their identity into more of a caricature of their clique rather than the complex yet mundane person they were while being human.

So in addition to managing the balance of Dreaming and Mundane responsibilities, and accepting the creature they are and choosing which life is worth saving, they also have to deal with how these shifts will alter their identity. Do they prefer the simple, yet shallow interpretations that the Dreaming is built upon, or the more nuanced but often complex and existentially nebulous identity of a normal teenager.

Being an archetype is a lot easier than being a person, especially when there's a clear enemy to fight and a set of values to uphold. But being a person can be substantially more fulfilling. Perhaps banality is not as bad as it first seems.

Comment

How did your characters avoid being overwhelmed by the Banality of their classmates? I imagine that there would have been a couple of people in each classroom with a Banality of 8 or 9.

Comment

How did your characters avoid being overwhelmed by the Banality of their classmates? I imagine that there would have been a couple of people in each classroom with a Banality of 8 or 9.
                  Probably by going into Chimeric Death pretty often.

Comment

Originally posted by Saikou View Post

That could actually be a interesting part of the theme. Their Fae halves are their stereotypes exaggerated to their logical extreme, while their human sides crave to be more than just their niche.
                    Perhaps the more they indulge in Glamour, the more Fae they become, changing their identity into more of a caricature of their clique rather than the complex yet mundane person they were while being human.

So in addition to managing the balance of Dreaming and Mundane responsibilities, and accepting the creature they are and choosing which life is worth saving, they also have to deal with how these shifts will alter their identity. Do they prefer the simple, yet shallow interpretations that the Dreaming is built upon, or the more nuanced but often complex and existentially nebulous identity of a normal teenager.

Being an archetype is a lot easier than being a person, especially when there's a clear enemy to fight and a set of values to uphold. But being a person can be substantially more fulfilling. Perhaps banality is not as bad as it first seems.
                    That may in fact be one of the central ideas in a Changeling scenario I'm currently writing for the WoD Berlin contest.

Comment

That's a level of Banality usually reserved for vampires and technocrats. Unless we want to make this High School of Darkness Crossover Senpai that really shouldn't be an issue.

Comment

Like Caitiff Primogen says, that's some seriously high banality and doesn't come up that often — mainly in a session where a parents group wants to cancel the dance because it gives the students impure thoughts or a session where an administrator thinks the school is becoming too unruly and needs extra discipline. It's the sort of thing a whole story would be based around, not something that kills characters "off screen."

Charlie Cantrell
                        Onyx Path Freelancer
                        Changeling: The Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition, Night Horrors: Conquering Heroes, Book of Freeholds

Comment

Of course, my high school population had an average Banality of 6 because of the hundreds of conspiracy theorists and the hundreds of actors, artists, and musicians, and it was just a Southern rural high school, so I can understand the idea of a low banality high school before NCLB and similar education policies. Yes, I had a really weird high school experience, where the average student believed in Big Foot, Elvis sightings, Satanists controlling the county government, and UFO conspiracies.

Comment

I thought Teenagers were more on the 4-6 scales, seeing that adults are suppose to be around 6-7 if I remember correctly

And I think most of the Highschool banality comes from teenage angst & overeaction (waiti till your wilders changeling tel about their aaaawwwwweeeeefffffullllll day to the Grump wage slave )

Comment

Most teenagers are not certifiably insane .

Comment

Working...
                              X