Sorcerers in Changeling

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorcerers in Changeling

So, I was wondering how you would treat Sorcerer in Changeling? I was thinking that base Banality would depend on the Numina Affinity. Sorcerers with the Mythic Affinity would have Banality 4, the Psychic Affinity would have Banality 6, and the Technological Affinity would have Banality 8. Instead of Seemings, Sorcerers with the Fae Blood Merit (Hedge Wizard Handbook, pp. 67-68) would have a Banality 2/Glamour 4 if they have the Mythic Affinity, Banality 3/Glamour 3 if they have the Psychic Affinity, and Banality 4/Glamour 2 if they have the Technological Affinity (they would all start with Willpower 5, just like any other Sorcerer).

Banality... is a mess...

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Agreed, though it can be useful as an innate countermagick (gain a point of Banality and roll Glamour [difficulty highest Sphere plus 4] to remove one success from the effect per success on the Glamour roll). When you do not have the tools of your paradigm for counterspell rituals or lack counterspell rituals, it is better than nothing against Mages.

Comment

Better use "Fae Blood" Background from "The Enchanted" or newer, from C20, if there will be one. Also, kinain characters have basic Banality score (2 for children/teenagers, 4 for adults, six for elderly), based on their physical age, though, I dunno, how it corresponds to reworked Seemings.

"Okay, damn, ow. I just gotta… why the heck do all games about faeries read like they are written by them, too?" © open_sketchbook

Comment

I never did like the idea that dreaming about being the first human on Mars somehow isn't as good as dreaming about pink unicorns.

Comment

Why would it not be as good? I think that science fiction is as rich a source of dreams as fantasy or horror. I just think Technocratic Sorcerers are more banal than other Sorcerers.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilTyger View Post
              I never did like the idea that dreaming about being the first human on Mars somehow isn't as good as dreaming about pink unicorns.
              Raw Glamour doesn't care one way or the other. That being said, certain things in the Dreaming are more solid and persistent than others because they have been around much longer and have gained a certain amount of weight and inertia. Mars as a god is a powerful figure in the Dreaming. Mars as a place is still fragile and fleeting, and probably hasn't coalesced into a single dream yet. If current trends continue (and the Endless Winter doesn't destroy the Dreaming first), the two's status in the Dreaming will eventually reverse, but Mars as a place still has a lot of growing to do before it displaces Mars as a god.

As for the OP's question, I'd treat a sorcerer like any other mortal if it's an NPC — base Banality of 7. I might drop it down to 6 six since they break with mundane reality, and then adjust from there based on the character's personality and what sort of role I wanted to the character to play in the story. If it's a PC in a Changeling: The Dreaming game, I'd using the rules for Kinain or Enchanted from C20, and let the player buy numina with bonus points. If it's a PC for a non-changeling primary game, I'd have the player make a sorcerer as following the Sorcerer book, and let them take the Fae Blooded merit from which ever game-line is primary.

Charlie Cantrell
              Onyx Path Freelancer
              Changeling: The Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition, Night Horrors: Conquering Heroes, Book of Freeholds

Comment

Originally posted by PookaKnight View Post

Raw Glamour doesn't care one way or the other. That being said, certain things in the Dreaming are more solid and persistent than others because they have been around much longer and have gained a certain amount of weight and inertia. Mars as a god is a powerful figure in the Dreaming. Mars as a place is still fragile and fleeting, and probably hasn't coalesced into a single dream yet. If current trends continue (and the Endless Winter doesn't destroy the Dreaming first), the two's status in the Dreaming will eventually reverse, but Mars as a place still has a lot of growing to do before it displaces Mars as a god.

As for the OP's question, I'd treat a sorcerer like any other mortal if it's an NPC — base Banality of 7. I might drop it down to 6 six since they break with mundane reality, and then adjust from there based on the character's personality and what sort of role I wanted to the character to play in the story. If it's a PC in a Changeling: The Dreaming game, I'd using the rules for Kinain or Enchanted from C20, and let the player buy numina with bonus points. If it's a PC for a non-changeling primary game, I'd have the player make a sorcerer as following the Sorcerer book, and let them take the Fae Blooded merit from which ever game-line is primary.
                Is the Endless Winter something a changeling can see and touch, something concrete. Or is it more like the feeling of fun and joy slowly persihing? Can an evil changeling use it to attack others?

Comment

Endless Winter is a cosmic state of the universe. It happens, it cannot be touched. But mad changeling probably can help to kickstart it to destroy all fae, changelings included.

"Okay, damn, ow. I just gotta… why the heck do all games about faeries read like they are written by them, too?" © open_sketchbook

Comment

I'd rather say, it's suppose to happen, prophecies had been wrong before, it could be that Winter is already here & that it is not necessarily endless.

Comment

"Winter isn't here yet. The Long Summer has caused a drought in the Dreaming but Autumn may have finally begun. The days are colder and the nights are longer and fear is finally displacing the apathy that was once hope. You silly* little ones have forgotten that the wheel turns for a reason. Seasons change so that life goes on and begins anew. The Winter will be long and hard, even appearing to be endless; it must be to balance the Long Summer, so that hope, courage and the like are new again.
                      It is your doings that caused the hardships of the retreat and the absence. We simply trying to balance the scales and restore what was once lost." - Dame Helena, House Balor

* that is how it is pronounced with her accent; the word is spelt Seelie

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

Working...
                      X