Changelings and Mages

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kendaan View Post
    Ohhhh I'm interested to see how it goes, though if the Changeling are unaware of th attack it's going to be swift & painful...
    I'm planning to make a thread for this Chronicle in the Mage forum. I'm trying to slowroll them discovering that what they're investigating is fae for as long as possible. It's going to be less of an "attack" than a "Roll Perception+Awareness. There's some powerful Mind magic demanding that you don't think about what's down at the end of this road. Hey look, there's a Node at this swimmin' hole."
    Last edited by GogariGlenRoss; 02-04-2017, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aya Tari View Post
      I would actually say the opposite because Rank is a measure of spiritual enlightenment.
      No, it's how much the spirits and other changers trust you, and how much better disciplined you've become. Gnosis is a measure of enlightenment, as well as a connection to the spiritual half of existence itself.

Comment

I'd start at 7 for Werewolves, and then adjust by Tribe/Auspice/Individuals, I don't think your Rank would have a direct impact.
        So something like:

Shadow Lords (Rigid & Pragamatic) +1
        Black Furies, Bone Gnawers, Children of Gaia, Get of Fenris, Glass Walkers, Silver Fangs, Wendigo +0
        Red Talons, Silent Striders, Stargazers, Uktena, -1
        Fianna, -2

Philodox, Arhoun +0
        Ragabash, Theurge, Gaillard -1

And then -1 to +1 for personality, though I wouldn't go under 4

Comment

It is appropriate for Mages from Mystical Traditions (Cult of Ecstasy, Dreamspeakers, Order of Hermes, and Verbena). They already have a Banality of 2-4 (as do Garou and Malkavians [who are also one of the only things immune to the Mists in cWoD])

Which is stupid because guy who's hunted Dinosaurs on the Hollow Earth is apparently super banal.

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post

Which is stupid because guy who's hunted Dinosaurs on the Hollow Earth is apparently super banal.
            Maybe that's why those entryways have closed. Banality ate away at them.
            Last edited by idpersona; 02-04-2017, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Well, there also Hollow Earths in the Dreaming, as Hollow Earths have been in the dreams of many, many humans throughout the years (as well as some science fiction series). The Umbra is not the Dreaming though, so someone could have a Banality of 10 and not have any particular problems with the Hollow Earths of the Umbra while the Dreaming would literally destroy them and everyone around them within a nanosecond if they tried to enter the Dreaming.

Comment

Well, there also Hollow Earths in the Dreaming, as Hollow Earths have been in the dreams of many, many humans throughout the years (as well as some science fiction series). The Umbra is not the Dreaming though, so someone could have a Banality of 10 and not have any particular problems with the Hollow Earths of the Umbra while the Dreaming would literally destroy them and everyone around them within a nanosecond if they tried to enter the Dreaming.
                I don't think someone with banality 10 has the sort of personality to go explore the Hollow Earth. They stick to safe places. "real" places. The Technocracy being HIgher Banality explains why they have issues with Dim Sci in general. Its a Rare sphere. I would even argue the regular access to the possibilties of the Umbra make it harder to hold onto banality.

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post
                  The Banality system was always a bit broken. I've always been of the opinion that if one must use it, then no supernatural should ever have a rating above 5 or so, similar to the way that no supernatural is really supposed to count as a Witness when doing awakened magic. In the same vein, Twilight Folk (ghouls, psychics, sorcerers, mediums, etc,) shouldn't get above 7 or 8 at the most. At least that's always been my preference.

(And along similar lines, I've always believed that a Technocrat, when confronted with a Changeling - or a demon or whatever - isn't going to go "that doesn't exist"; she's going to go "that is a bloody alien space invader, kill it!")

Comment

I have played in two Chronicles that were Mage/Changeling crossovers. We just started all the Mages out at Banality of 7 and adjusted it depending on how the character was played. For instance in one I played a CoX that tended to see stuff, so we gave him a Banality of 6 along with a SoE who was very Doc Brown type of character who got along with Nockers.

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post

The Banality system was always a bit broken. I've always been of the opinion that if one must use it, then no supernatural should ever have a rating above 5 or so, similar to the way that no supernatural is really supposed to count as a Witness when doing awakened magic. In the same vein, Twilight Folk (ghouls, psychics, sorcerers, mediums, etc,) shouldn't get above 7 or 8 at the most. At least that's always been my preference.

(And along similar lines, I've always believed that a Technocrat, when confronted with a Changeling - or a demon or whatever - isn't going to go "that doesn't exist"; she's going to go "that is a bloody alien space invader, kill it!")

I more imagine Technocrats should be able to play the system. They might acknowledge that aliens exist and that there are fairy aliens but that they functionally have much higher banalities thanks to conditioning. Like for purposes of remembering they might have 5 but for purposes of defense they might have 10.

Comment

Mage and Changeling are very compatible thematically. I'm mostly a Mage ST, and when I'm thinking of crossover NPC's, Changelings are usually the first that come to mind.

Comment

Working...
                        X