X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arcadia CCG Kiths

Because it was requested to be spun off as its own topic:

Originally posted by PookaKnight View Post
    I talked to blackhatmatt, and he encouraged me to post the kith write-up. There are a few things I need to emphasize though. First off, this is purely done as a fan work. It's not an official write-up by any means. If the dragonkin do appear in a later C20 book, there's a good chance they'd look pretty different, even if they were written by me.They'd have to fit the needs of the book and vision of the developer. Second, this is a quick and dirty write up. I haven't done an editing pass. There may be grammar, style, or spelling errors. Also, some parts of it may not work as expected. I'd especially want to see the Child of Ouroboros birthright in play before considering it ready. If you're still interested after C20 is out, remind me, and I'll be happy to walk through how I used the build-a-kith rules as a guide for the dragonkin.
    Dragonkin

Before the rise of humanity, the Tuatha de Danaan, or the Fomorians — before even the Mythic Ages — another civilization covered the world. They crafted legends in their own image. Now, sixty-five million years later, nothing remains of their existence, except their dreams. Without these Dreamers, the dragonkin were dwindling by the time the first human set foot upon Earth.

The surviving dragonkin saw the Tuatha de Danaan amassing an army for war. They realized the Tuatha’s plan to leverage humanity to overthrow the Fomorians held the key to their survival. The dragonkin offered themselves to the service of the Tuatha de Danaan in exchange for a place in humanity’s collective psyche. As one of the Kithain, legends of dragons once again spread across the globe — from those of Europe to the Chinese dragons of southeast Asia to the feathered serpents of the Americas.

Few in number to begin with, most dragonkin fled to Arcadia at the start of the Sundering. Only handfuls remained trapped on Earth during the Shattering. Their numbers in the Autumn Realms increased recently with the Resurgence. Dragonkin are reptilian humanoids, their skin glistening with scales. Their body types range from large and stocky to slim and lithe. Some even sport manes of brightly colored feathers.

Affinity: Fae

Revelry: A dragonkin finds Glamour in her prized possessions. They serve as a reminder and conduit to all that she once lost. By spending a day in meditation or a night sleeping surrounded by her treasures, she regains Glamour.

Unleashing: Fire burns within a dragonkin’s Glamour. Her Unleashings explode out from her, providing warm comfort to her allies and incinerating her enemies. They might take the form of steam, radiation, or a blazing inferno.

Birthrights:

Wisdom of Ages — A dragonkin has lived an impossibly long life, even by Kithain standards. She possesses knowledge unheard of by any other fae. All dragonkin have their Remembrance rating increased by one, even if it raises above five. Additionally, they cannot botch Enigmas or Gremayre rolls.

Child of Ouroboros — In addition to her humanoid form, a dragonkin has a much older, true form inside her. Since the death of her original Dreamers and becoming tied to the dreams of humanity, it takes effort to bring forth. At character creation, the dragonkin’s player receives 10 chimera points to spend on Attributes, Abilities, Health Levels, and Redes to become the character’s dragon form. When the character assumes her dragon form, it adds to her normal stats. The character may spend a point of Glamour and roll Willpower (difficulty 6) to assume her dragon form for a scene. She may take her dragon form automatically when successfully Calling upon the Wyrd.

Frailty:

Treasure Hoard — The dragonkin lost everything once, never again. With nothing left of her original legend, a dragonkin’s current treasures mean as much to her as her own life. If anyone attempts to steal or tamper with her possessions, she becomes consumed by rage. She immediately lashes out to attack those that would violate proof of her new dream. To restrain herself, she must make a Willpower roll (difficulty 7). If the item is a Treasure, the difficulty increases by one for each dot of the Treasure’s rating, up to a maximum of 9.

“We were once powerless to avert the end of the world. Our fire will prevent the Endless Winter from consuming the new one.”

This is slightly different from the original post, I reduced the number of chimera points to spend on a dragon form from 25 to 10. I'm still not sure if it's an appropriate number though.

Charlie Cantrell
    Onyx Path Freelancer
    Changeling: The Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition, Night Horrors: Conquering Heroes, Book of Freeholds

Excellent! This really deserved its own topic. Since you made it plural, am I to assume that you've got some of the others written up, too? Or is that to encourage us to make our own? Either way, should be very interesting.

Currently working on: DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action
    Projects I've contributed to: C20 Anthology of Dreams ("No Such Thing As Dragons")

Comment

I'd love to see what folks come up with! It might be best to wait until after C20 is out so that Revelry and Unleashing get explained properly and the kith creation rules are in the wild.

I don't have any others written up, but after I get my final draft of Freeholds turned in, I might take a stab at another one — djinn or naga might be fun for some non-European focused kiths
      Last edited by PookaKnight; 02-14-2017, 03:29 PM.

Charlie Cantrell
      Onyx Path Freelancer
      Changeling: The Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition, Night Horrors: Conquering Heroes, Book of Freeholds

Comment

Originally posted by PookaKnight View Post
        I'd love to see what folks come up with! It might be best to wait until after C20 is out so that Revelry and Unleashing get explained properly and the kith creation rules are in the wild.
        I'm not sure those imp ideas I'm getting will wait that long! I'll have to see what I come up with once I finish those other ones I've been working on.

Projects I've contributed to: C20 Anthology of Dreams ("No Such Thing As Dragons")

Comment

Maybe give the dragonkin a fixed bonus? Maybe equivalent to a crinos werewolf, with an elemental breath attack thrown in (and immunity to said element)?

Comment

The customization is a bit of a nod to the card game. There are two dragonkin character cards - one with flight, the other with fire breath.

Charlie Cantrell
            Onyx Path Freelancer

Comment

Originally posted by adambeyoncelowe View Post
              Maybe give the dragonkin a fixed bonus? Maybe equivalent to a crinos werewolf, with an elemental breath attack thrown in (and immunity to said element)?

Even werewolf gives Mokole heavy customization and this version of Dragonkin would have distinct connections between the two.

Comment

One possibility I could see would be to make it a set boost to physical attributes with a set number of chimera points to spend specifically on Redes. That would allow you to have customizability without worrying about a player saying "Hell, I'm just going to give my character +30 Strength."

Comment

That actually might be interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post

Even werewolf gives Mokole heavy customization and this version of Dragonkin would have distinct connections between the two.
                    Sure, but the kithain traded in their flexibility for survival a long time ago. White Oak Dragon's suggestion is a good one, though. That way, you curb the worst min-maxing that could otherwise take place.

Comment

Considering that kithain and gallain usually have 2 birthrights and 1 frailty, I suggest that Dragonkin should have birthrights based on it's character cards (Flight and Breath - "Draconic Heritage" - based on Chimera's Redes Flight and Breath - and the other one - "Child of Ouroboros" - that gives them more knowledge and the extra Remembrance). Is there any card that mentions Dragonkin have an alternate form? I spent all these years thinking that they are just like the Dragonborn from D&D 4th Ed! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Neon.Sidhe View Post
                        Considering that kithain and gallain usually have 2 birthrights and 1 frailty, I suggest that Dragonkin should have birthrights based on it's character cards (Flight and Breath - "Draconic Heritage" - based on Chimera's Redes Flight and Breath - and the other one - "Child of Ouroboros" - that gives them more knowledge and the extra Remembrance). Is there any card that mentions Dragonkin have an alternate form? I spent all these years thinking that they are just like the Dragonborn from D&D 4th Ed! LOL
                        I would imagine that many people playing a dragonkin would probably pick up one or both of those when creating their draconic form anyway. Since dragons vary so much between cultures, the ability to select different Redes could be important to some players who wished to portray a dragonkin that wasn't a winged fire-breathing death lizard.

Interestingly enough, "Draconic Heritage" is the name of one of the birthrights of the kith I've been working on.

Comment

Originally posted by White Oak Dragon View Post

I would imagine that many people playing a dragonkin would probably pick up one or both of those when creating their draconic form anyway. Since dragons vary so much between cultures, the ability to select different Redes could be important to some players who wished to portray a dragonkin that wasn't a winged fire-breathing death lizard.

Interestingly enough, "Draconic Heritage" is the name of one of the birthrights of the kith I've been working on.
                          Maybe 8 points in Redes (3 Flight and 5 Breath) - the player distribute them to express their character's draconic features.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon.Sidhe View Post

Maybe 8 points in Redes (3 Flight and 5 Breath) - the player distribute them to express their character's draconic features.
                            And six dots to distribute between Physical Attributes. That adds up to the 10 chimera points while minimizing the opportunity for min-maxing.

Comment

I think the Dragonkin are more like Dragonborn from D&D than a Mokolé from WtA.
                              I don't see why give them physical att points, since they have the same 3/2/1 att points on their cards.
                              But that's just my opinion... and I don't have all the Arcadia CCG cards to know exactly if they're presented as shapeshifters somewhere...

Comment

Working...
                              X