A bit confused by Banality and memory

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A bit confused by Banality and memory

I'm confused by the intent for how the mists work on Changelings, starting on page 270 on the C20 PDF. So, every time a PC gains or removes any points of temporary Banality how well they remember things will shift? I'm having trouble seeing how that's playable.

I didn't write that section, so please don't take this as anything other than a fan commenting on it.

It only starts happening when their Banalitiy points (temporary) exceeds their Glamour rating (permanent). There are only 7 levels of memory loss listed, so the only way a character could ever get up to the Amnesia level is if she has a Glamour rating of 3. That character could accrue three points of Banality before feeling any effects from the Mists.

It's possible I'm missing/forgetting something, but reading it, it doesn't sound the like a changeling's Banality rating has any bearing on how much the Mists affect her. I might house rule it to be that the dots of Banality greater than dots of Glamour also puts the character on the scale. So a changeling with a Glamour 3 rating and a Banality 4 rating would permanently at the Lapses level (unless she either raises her Glamour and manages to lower her Banality). 1-4 Banality points wouldn't have any additional effect, but she gains that 5th Banality point, she moves up to Tuned Out.

Charlie Cantrell
    Onyx Path Freelancer
    Changeling: The Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition, Conquering Heroes, Book of Freeholds, Guide to the Night, C20 Players Guide

Comment

Ah, OK. I got confused and thought the Mists chart applied somehow to this effect. Thanks!

Comment

Yeah, I can see that. The paragraph describing them calls them both Mists Charts, but the one that's in chart form labeled The Mists is for changelings who've been chimerically killed. The scale under Effects on Changelings is for day to day use.

Charlie Cantrell
        Onyx Path Freelancer
        Changeling: The Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition, Conquering Heroes, Book of Freeholds, Guide to the Night, C20 Players Guide

Comment

Working...
        X