Raven and Coyote Pooka clones in Nunnehi

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raven and Coyote Pooka clones in Nunnehi

So I like the pooka and I think they would be great fits for the Nunnehi. So I was thinking as small number of Nunnehi are Coyotes, Ravens and Whiskey Jacks and essentially are pooka by another name but have always been with the Nunnehi. What are thoughts on this. Pooka would probably recognize them as related, limited to the Animals of their legend.

It's blatant copy and pasting of another kith, but I love it it provides a cool connection to explore.

Maybe after I read the book I can tweak it but as is it seems like a good start.

What are thoughts on stealing Kiths as Gallain?

It is a time for great deeds!

I do this all the time in my chronicles, using kith templates and then just swapping names as culturally appropos. One of my bigger wishes is that, since these kiths are supposedly universal dreams (sidhe are dreams of beauty/grandeur, pooka dreams of mischief, trolls dreams of honor, etc), that they'd be a little more universal in the books and be able to embody different folklore as brought to life through a specific character. All it takes is a little hand-waving, though, and a bit of adjustment. Pooka specifically are one I've used a lot for Native Alaskan fae. Selkies are another one, including changing them to be otters instead of seals to parallel the Kushtaka myth.

Comment

Sure, why not? No need to reinvent the wheel, if all you need to do is change a few cosmetic details.
      Last edited by Demigod Beast; 05-17-2017, 10:44 PM.

Comment

Someone was talking about making an Oni kith for the Hsien, but after looking at Ogre/Troll kiths carefully I have to say, that they can be freely copypasted with merely cosmetical changes, if needed.

So, yeah. Go for it.

Also, what do you think of Pooka Frailty in case of Nunnehi counterparts? Would they still have it or..?
        Last edited by Firkraag; 05-17-2017, 03:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Firkraag View Post
          Someone was talking about making an Oni kith for the Hsien, but after looking at Ogre/Troll kiths carefully I have to say, that they can be freely copypasted with merely cosmetical changes, if needed.
          I'd say Rock Giants work better for Oni, or maybe Red Caps...

Comment

Giant with an iron club? Strong. Dumb. It's quintessential Ogre.

Trolls work better for later versions of Oni as protectors.

I'll have to refresh my memory of Rock Giants, but I don't see, how Red Caps applicable here. In fact, I'm almost sure, that there's another yokai, that fits a "hunger spirit" bill.
            Last edited by Firkraag; 05-17-2017, 06:11 AM.

Comment

Giant with an iron club? Strong. Dumb. It's quintessential Ogre.
              Except when they aren't dumb and are magical tricksters. Though Ogre isn't bad if you don't want them as Kithain. Personally I feel the Rock Giant Frailty covers Oni foolishness better than being low intelligence

Trolls work better for later versions of Oni as protectors.
              There aren't really alot of Oni as a protector a protector stories. And even then they aren't bound in the ways trolls are. They aren't empowered by Oaths. They are just scary monsters who've taken up protecting people.

I'll have to refresh my memory of Rock Giants,
              Strong, get upset if you ever say they aren't super awesome.

but I don't see, how Red Caps applicable here. In fact, I'm almost sure, that there's another yokai, that fits a "hunger spirit" bill.
              There are alot of Hunger yokai, just Oni have some questionable eating habits.

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post
                They are just scary monsters who've taken up protecting people.
                There has to be quite a story here, I wager.

You're right, Rock Giant's frailty is a win.

I get your point, but there's another Japanese archetype, that's good with taking Oath and I'm not awfully concerned about splicing them together (to be fair, before Changeling I haven't heard any stories about protective, loyal trolls, either) in that particular case.

Also, I like the idea of complex relationships between yokai and kami. Oni, that leaves their egoistic and warlike ways in order to serve a higher purpose plays well into that idea, as one example of such relationships. Though, I'll admit that this interpretation is not for everybody, especially not for people well-versed in this topic.
                Last edited by Firkraag; 05-17-2017, 09:17 PM.

Comment

There has to be quite a story here, I wager.
                  The idea of the Demon/monster taking up Buddhism and becoming a protector is a pretty common trope through out Asia. You even have a similar setup with Jinn and Islam.

I get your point, but there's another Japanese archetype, that's good with taking Oath and I'm not awfully concerned about splicing them together (to be fair, before Changeling I haven't heard any stories about protective, loyal trolls, either) in that particular case.
                  I think its pretty easy to swap around frailities to get what you want out of the race.

Also, I like the idea of complex relationships between yokai and kami. Oni, that leaves their egoistic and warlike ways in order to serve a higher purpose plays well into that idea, as one example of such relationships. Though, I'll admit that this interpretation is not for everybody, especially not for people well-versed in this topic.
                  Right but to me Oni have a lot more conceptually similar to Red Caps they are this scary force of nature that will hurt you but they can be tamed by a Higher power/love etc. Rather than being bound to their Oaths and take power from them they should be constant butting up against them.

Comment

It is indicated that there may have been Commoners who stayed in the Americas and intermingled with the Nunnehi after the Shattering and Sundering. Remember that the Sidhe had connections over there, and so some Commoners were likely in the Americas as well. I have that possibility opened up in my games, of playing Commoners that took the same path the Nunnehi did after their lines mingled.

Comment

Working...
                    X