Lost Dreams and where to find them... [Looking for lost SnE material]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost Dreams and where to find them... [Looking for lost SnE material]

Once upon a time, there was a vibrant online community.
    Thwas the realm of Shadownessence, where the community crowded around those games that we all cherished. The Kindred, the Garou and the Willworkers.
    But. Times change, and so did we, and Shadownessence disappeared to mists of time.
    However, the most enduring assembly of storytellers were those who spoke of Kithain. And their dreams were vibrant and colorful.

One storyteller made tales about the eastern lands, of the Perfumed Empire of India.
    His name was Spikey, and has since unfortunately passed away, but now, as my glamoured soul has awoken, I've begun to seek out those old scrolls.
    Yet, the only thing I have been able to dig up, was this:
    The Perfumed Empire

In the current age as the Wheel grinds towards the age of Winter, the Fae of India are governed mostly by those who have merged their fae souls with the human bloodlines to become hybrids. The Asura and Daeva who underwent the Mithuna ritual to become what the Kithain call Changeling's have been labelled with the appellation Asurakumara. The word has many possible meanings, but to the western world "Demon princes" is perhaps the best fit. This translating of the Sanskrit word Kumara as “Youth” or “Boy” reflects the concept of the Fae as those who were eternally Young or who came from the land of youth. The Daeva seem content with the title, at least in public, and there is no record of them using Daevakumara or any other rendition.

Much of Asurakumara society follows an established and well-tested pattern. The Daityas occupy the highest rung of the ladder as Nobles, with the Astomi constantly testing their grasp on power or attempting to manipulate them. Beneath these two Kith the Vanara, Angiris, Yazatas and the Ishtadevatas appear in the most part to happy to support the Daityas and to fill the roles of courtiers and vassals. The typical Daityas Raja will have his fellow nobles in positions of leadership and governance, with a handful of Astomi concubines and ministers. His advisors and Viziers are drawn from either the Ishtadevatas or the Angiris, with perhaps single members of other Asura groups, even lone Adhene or small groups of Inanimae. The Ishtadevatas who do not seek a place beside the throne are often found in his armouries and his Libraries, overseeing his harem or tutoring his children. His control over and aegis of the Dreamers and the Mortal realm will be in the hands of the Angiris, leaving him more time to plan his eventual usurpation of his neighbours or of the local Dreaming. His armies, often governed again by Lesser Noble Daityas or perhaps an Astomi are made up of loyal Vanara soldiers and Yazatas warriors, in later times the ranks were buoyed up by those Pey he might feel he could trust. In Asura society, more than a few powerful Daityas employ mercenary bands of Inanimae and even an elite force of Adhene.

These Asurakumara dominate Mrityu Lok (the Autumn Realm) and fare much better even in the growing threat of Kirttimukha (Banality) than many other Half Mortal Dreams. However, until very recently they were less well represented in Pataal Lok, the Dreaming itself, because the true home of the Fae was ruled by the cruel princes of the Naraka from their capitol realm of Mahâraurava. The Naraka were always the true rulers of the Asura, and those few Daeva who still dwelt within the known realms. For the most part these spiteful fae declined the wonders of the Autumn world and very few of them ever embraced the way of the Mithuna ritual. Instead they ruled unchallenged in Pataal Lok, with the Daityas allowed to govern Mrityu Lok as a Vassal state.

The Naraka lived in a civilized, if cruel, splendour, residing in vast palaces carved into the gleaming mountains, lolling in their fruited gardens, perfecting the arts of music, love-making and pain. Their wizards had such an understanding of the Dreaming and its mysteries that the Naraka could open new Trods at will and with great rituals, shatter the bonds that held other Adhene in the tenebrous realms for short times. The Asurakumara might have known that they outnumbered the Adhene greatly, but when the leaders of the opposition could snap their fingers and return all the Horrors of the Chayaka to fight in their name, none dared challenge them.

Mahâraurava was the capitol of a vast swathe of the Dreaming controlled by the True fae of the Asura. It citizens were myriad Chimera and now extinct Adhene who made up the bulk of the Naraka kingdoms. Dreams who had grown accustomed to the predation and torture of their masters or who could offer a service the Naraka desired made their homes in the Dreaming surrounding the perfumed realm and maintained its holdings. Representatives of all the Asura tribes made their home here, or were enslaved by the masters of the Dreaming to work in their industry. Asurakumara lost to Bedlam shared their chains with c Fae races now entirely destroyed, while Chimera of sharp beauty and exquisite horror roamed the plains in large numbers.

Named for the Hindu vision of Hell, it was the job of the Naraka, so the legends say, to punish wicked human souls, boiling them in the regions rivers of molten copper. Cultured and sophisticated, they maintain power through their undeniable mastery of Glamour and the Crystal paths, as well as the will of the Dreaming itself. Rather than challenge these True Fae, the Daityas served to keep them in power through fear of loosing their own dominance of Mrityu Lok. The three castes of the Dark ones were as busy fighting each other and the jealous desires of the Astomi as they were fermenting never implemented schemes to topple the Naraka from their majestic thrones.

While the Naraka and their armies of Adhene made travel to Pataal Lok difficult, the Asurakumara were restricted in their travel. Even when they could barter for safe passage or the right to visit their birthplace, the Naraka demanded a heavy price for extended use of the Crystal paths and it was simply too dangerous and too expensive to explore the Deeper Dreaming for many Earth bound Fae.

The cold war that existed between the Asurakumara and the Adhene worked both ways however and the Adhene’s forays into Mrityu Lok were equally rare. Only the Khandroma were able to develop any real power in the Autumn world, the other True fae of the Asura were content with the endless possibilities in the Dreaming and beyond or were insufficiently prepared to breach the Asurakumara strongholds. Over the centuries since the shattering first separated the three realms, the Naraka have ruled in terrible splendour on one side of the divide while the Daityas built up their kingdoms on the other.

That all changed in 1999.

In the summer Months of that year many of the Naraka’s subjects began to report gatherings of Khrodha on the borders. Whether they were retreating from some unknown threat in the Autumn world or passing through Mahâraurava on their way to some war in the Dreaming the Naraka neither knew nor cared. They simply did not want the Change this Adhene brought to spoil their paradise. Small bands of Naraka were sent to dissuade the Khrodha from tarrying in their lands, offering them treasures if they left quickly, and torture if they did not. Almost none of these lesser sons and low born messengers returned and talk in the palaces began to wonder if they had been eaten or whether they had learned something from the Lords of Wrath that convinced them to follow the Khrodha on their pilgrimage.

Even as they debated investigating this strange event, the Naraka learned the awful truth. Their world was set afire by events in the Autumn world with such rapidity that those who remained in Mahâraurava where unable to escape its fury.

When the Technocracy destroyed the Arch Pisaka Ravanna with its magical devices, the Dreaming in Northeastern India was forever altered. Mahâraurava, the Naraka paradise was poisoned and the Naraka themselves stripped of their power and their memories. Their abilities to summon the hordes of Chayaka were lost to them. Their magnificent and closely guarded Arts were wiped from the flesh pages of their pillow books.

The Storm that echoed across Mahâraurava served as a doorway, and the first to come through were the Storm riders themselves. Long having been in the employ of the Naraka, the Pey were suddenly set free on the earth and left to do as they pleased. Their former masters all but destroyed by amnesia and madness. As they swarmed across the palatial holding of the Naraka, the Pey gathered what they could of the deposed Nobles and savoured the delights of their civilization. They stole what luxuries they could and made off with what booty was not yet forever burnt or shredded by the cataclysm. The Pey tasted the pleasures of nobility and they liked it.

Even as the Pey rode out, the Nats who had been hiding in the shadows of Mahâraurava emerged. Some of their number who had been trapped in the tenebrous realms were once again freed to join them and together they set about destroying what remained of the Naraka paradise with glee. What the Destruction of Ravanna had weakened and the cloud had scorched, the Nats pulled down and smashed to rubble. In no time at all very little of the Crystal halls or alien architecture remained. A few days later many of these same nats were seen rushing back in the other direction after they saw what humans had done to the world.

Following close on the heels of the Pey, picking through the ruins left by the Nats, were the eldest and greatest of the Pacu Pati, erupting from their graveyard realm with all manner of terrible Chimera and long imprisoned wraiths. The corpses of the Naraka, the Mourning of their wives, the sorrow the very land itself poured out, all this was an elixir to the Pacu Pati and they feasted on the fall of Mahâraurava for days. They picked over the ruins and bathed in the poisoned waters, delighting in the slum that this once great Realm had become. By the time they moved off, fleeing the great storm cloud, the Lords of the Pacu Pati had been granted a vision of what fate awaited all great civilizations and had learned lessons of how to survive in the most wasted corners of the cities.

In the wake of the week of Nightmares the Naraka have been cast across the Dreaming and many have fled into the cold world of Mrityu Lok in their pain-fuelled madness. Those who once ruled the perfumed Realms and the Dreaming of India are gone and only a blackened shadow of their Dream remains. Rumours that some of the Cruel ones survived unscathed surface from time to time, supposedly those powerful enough to retain their minds or perhaps remnants of the ones who fled with the Khrodha. But so far legends are all that are known and the Asurakumara have begun to test the validity of their newfound freedom.

Without the Naraka and their armies to thwart them, the Daityas have turned their attention to the Dreaming and the now unbarred Trods to other worlds. Intrepid Heroes and Visionary commanders have already established footholds in the less ravaged Realms around Mahâraurava, although none have yet ventured fully into that blighted land. The Crystal paths have been claimed and are as jealously guarded by Daityas raja as they were by the Naraka. Other Kiths too have begun to claim territories, hoping to guard them from the Daityas and perhaps carve a holding for themselves in the scrabble for power. The time the Dark Nobles have waited for all these eons is finally at hand, if only they have the strength to keep it.

Whispered rumours insist that it was not just the servants of the Chayaka who came through the ruptured breaches in the tenebrous Realms, and that the True Fathers of Terror have been seen abroad as well. The Clouds of Mahâraurava appear festooned with the silvery webs of half remembered Evil.

Have anyone, any idea of where to find

Wait Spikey Died?!

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
      Wait Spikey Died?!
      Yes unfortunately. About four years ago.

Comment

Oh my god! He was such a clever scholarly gentleman. May I ask what happened? or is there some sort of memorial message somewhere?

Comment

He had diabetes and needed a transplant. He didn't get one in time. I saved the entire Shadownessence website -- except the Void -- on the Wayback machine. But I don't have the right url.

Comment

I fear the only thing I might have was what little was done for the Lords of Nightmare project. I joined up toward the end and my then own life took various turns so I was unable to do much. Once Spikey passed I lost much of my desire to be involved on the site. Pretty well left to concern myself with personal things and my own games. I likely have the data on a hard drive somewhere but sadly that data is all I have.

Comment

Originally posted by Saint Michael View Post
              He had diabetes and needed a transplant. He didn't get one in time. I saved the entire Shadownessence website -- except the Void -- on the Wayback machine. But I don't have the right url.
              The right URL?
              What I'm looking for is http://www.shadownessence.com/forum/...233-the-asura/

But... I suppose that those saved parts don't go that deep

Comment

What a coincidence, I, too, was recently trying to recover these old Shadownessence materials. I was able to find the page on Perfumed Empire Growls reference, and some fragments on Lords of Nightmare on the Spanish forum here: http://webvampiro.mforos.com/542820/...ngeling/?pag=8
                I also found a portion of Lost Soul's sigils (Including all from Perfumed Empire, but only part from Lords of Nightmare) from some Polish wiki (http://pl.mrokopedia.wikia.com/wiki/...:Obrazy?page=3, http://pl.mrokopedia.wikia.com/wiki/...Obrazy?page=13)
                Last edited by mindszenty; 05-19-2017, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Has anyone tried to reach out to Jimi to see if he has a backup of the site?

Comment

I remember Spikey from when I was 14-16. We chatted a lot on the old Vampire mailing list.

Comment

Yeah I remember Spikey on the forums when I was a teenager. He was nicer then a lot folks, and I loved his insight on myths and history, I was young and still learning a lot back then.

Comment

....stolen, for use in my games. This stuff is awesome.

Comment

Spikey was one of the greatest scholars of myth and legend I ever had the fortune of gaming with.
                          He's is terribly missed.

Good to hear his vision will live on with other gamers.

Comment

Please tell me more will be posted...!

Comment

I'll try to reach out to the former Admin, to check if he got a backup laying around.

Because... a new edition? I think we could do a bit for Spikey's memory to make it available for new players.

__________________________________________________
                              Preaching the enlightened gospels of Gaming Anarchy

Comment

Working...
                              X