Rhapsody and non-physical art

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhapsody and non-physical art

Does Rhapsody (or at least gaining Glamour from it) only work with physical art that has one unique product? If not, how do you gain Glamour from "destroying" a song, or a dance, or something equally ephemeral?

By the dancer taking amphetamines and dancing themselves to death?

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Knight View Post
      By the dancer taking amphetamines and dancing themselves to death?
      That doesn't fit the pattern at all. Getting the Glamour requires destroying the work in front of the Dreamer.

Comment

I agree Zenten.

Comment

Originally posted by zenten View Post

That doesn't fit the pattern at all. Getting the Glamour requires destroying the work in front of the Dreamer.
          Say what again? No it doesnt. The Dreamer is burnt out as s/he finisher the work and the Glamour is released when the work is destroyed but it doesnt matter when or where the destruction takes place. The people present at the destruction site matter only in that only those present may gather the Glamour released.

As for Rhapsodizing less tangible art...
          It is a unique masterpiece that is required and needs to be destroyed to rhapsodize it so if it where a dance you would need to destroy the dance itself which may be problematic since to do so you would need to destroy all knowledge of it's choreography, but it can be done. Especially since it's creator has already burned out and is not able to repeat it.

I once wrote a small fiction piece where a Leanhaun Sidhe had inspired a scientist in his research and burned him out to complete his groundbreaking work then rhapsodized it by destroying his physical notes and papers of his work by firebombing his lab and finished her work by deleting all digital records of it, the Glamour rushing to her, and restoring her beauty and youth, the moment her finger hit the final enter on he laptop, while she was sitting outside the burning lab building.

Destroying a song likewise means to destroy all copies of it both on record and on paper. The more it has had time to spread the more difficult it will be and if spread far enough it will become impossible.

Or atleast that is my take on the matter. YMMV.
          Last edited by Possessed; 05-27-2017, 08:08 PM. Reason: Typos... damn autocorrect.

Comment

To destroy a song for rhapsody, you'd probably only have to destroy the original scoring or note sheet created by the dreamer, I'd think. The thing he or she actually created. Everything else is just repitition, after all.

Comment

Copies of an artwork don't hold Glamour, usually. It's only the original. So destroying the written handwritten manuscript, the original canvas, the original site or recording of a dance, or the Dreamer herself, would seem appropriate.

I think there's another option too, although not one that appears in the rules explicitly. You could allow a sort of halfway house between musing and Rhapsody that allows a faerie to inspire terrible creativity at the expense of burnout, but without the requirement to destroy the output at the end. It would make sense, after all, for such outputs, infused as they are with Dark Glamour, to continue to slowly spoil others. Then the creative work would be allowed to remain as some terrible, stained artefact or, in the case of something performed only, as a kind of grim ritual (think the Necronomicon, The King in Yellow, The Crying Boy, The Hands Resist Him Painting, the Basano Vase, maybe even the Terracotta Army...). The suffering inherent in the thing would continue to generate Dark Glamour over time, but it would also cause Echoes and Nightmares, as appropriate. That way, anyone who enacts a cursed dance might drop dead or be consumed with dark passions.

This feels like it would be a kind of Revelry suited to Thallain, perhaps, but I'd allow Kithain to do it if they took Nightmare as a consequence.

Comment

Working...
              X