Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dreams Beyond the Stars: Changelings in Spaaaaaaaaace!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dreams Beyond the Stars: Changelings in Spaaaaaaaaace!

Damn was going to post this earlier but accidently friggin erased it instead of posting it.

But basically I was filling my early workshift tossing around setting ideas in my head, as you do at work when you are not speaking to your co-workers. I really was digging the idea of including Alien Kith/Gallain (Hey what’s the Gallain equivalent for Kith, if Gallain is essentially equivalent to Kithain…Gal doesn’t seem right). I also noticed at the same time the forum was abuzz with Alieny stuff, Modern Dream and Aethernauts. So why not make a thread about Changeling Alien Kiths, Chimera and Dreamstuff. A have fun, what kind of homebrew/houserules would you use for the Space Dreaming? Are the Fomorian Tuatha conflict only an Earth thing reflecting humanity, and different conflicts could happen in the Deep Dreaming. Perhaps parts of Arcadia/the Deep Dreaming lay beyond the Tuatha Territory. Or would everything not part of humanities spectrum lay within the Purview of the Fomorian Dream, as the primordial nonhuman side of dreams?

So not sure how I even want to divvy up the Extraterrestrial Dream so I am interested in ideas. Please toss in ideas, and give your personal houserules and headcanon, and what you take and leave from other projects.

Maybe the Fae beings that would become changelings were awakened during the Moonlanding Resurgence, with possibly Vanguards in the Roswell era or Pulp era. And it took until 2001 the new Millenium, after the Red Star appeared, for them to start popping up.

Kiths

Greys, basic extra terrestrial version of wee folk with uncanny crafts, so many of the fae legends are tiny people. So maybe their fraility involves curiosity, an urge to probe if you will. They will reflect souces of abduction. They can be Travelers, explorers, doctors, scientists, kidnappers.

Star Children/Millennials, the ideas of crazy Chariot of the Gods/Celestials stuff, with a good helping of pointy eared Vulcans. Basically a kith that is very suspiciously similar to Sidhe, representing an alien civilization that could have patronized humanity. Appearance boosters, and maybe patronage or unity birthright, or just a commandy Sidhe/Oba one, or even a technology or evolution birthright. Super pretty pointy eared people, that may be a shade of green or blueish. Basically the dreams of foreign gods and rulers. Crazy Cult Conspiracies Madame Blavotsky Dreams. Maybe everyone of them are born after 2001, while other alien kiths maybe could be older but just had their chrysalis after the new millennium.

Little Green Men, representing the idea of conquerors from beyond the stars. Warlike, short and green, like stereotypical martians. Maybe birthrights involving weapons and aggression, maybe a fraility to disease, or even losing challenges. A very Unseelie heavy Kith

Thallain:

Reptillians, David Icke style conspiracy theory Reptillians with sideways blinking and nictitating membranes. Basically really tapping into the ideas linking medieval ideas of alien beings switching your children with members of their own species and you are none the wiser. Lots of Skrull style replicant stuff with these guys, perhaps the most heavy Alien group screwing with the world. Maybe they hijacked bodies like the Sidhe did.

Intruders, strange either Cthulhu esque, or Star Trek/Beyonder esque beings, the utterly alien fomorian dream reflected even in strange physics. They would refer to their version of the Fomorians as the Many Angled Ones.

Inanimae:

Meteorite Inanimae most definitely exist! Imagine the stories you could make with this, groups that don’t just come from alien corners of the Dreaming but actually from alien stars in the Autumn World.

Aurora/Solar Flare/Gammaburst Inanimae Flicker Empire style. Beings of pure cosmic radiations and electromagnetism.

Adhene/Chimera and Random Ideas? Psychic beings, Possessing Viruses, Technorganics? Would it be better to have podpeople as their own thing or would it be worth it to smash it into the Reptillians?

Alien Kinain would also be hella fun to play with concerning things like merits and flaws.

What about Alien Arts from behind the Stars? Alien Treasures would be amazing to toy around with! UFOs, healing/experimentation/Science tubes! Friggin Disintigrator Guns! A Star Art? A Beyond Art? Super Computers?!

Are these beings reflecting things never scene with Earth Dreams? Are they eerily similar? What would Changeling culture think? Imagine if they are just Earth Dreams of things Beyond Earth? Now Imagine they are Dreams of the Stars themselves as well as other civilizations or Godlike minds.

I get a jist that the Deep Dreaming and Deep Umbra are essentially the same place when you reach that layer of reality. It is just so platonic and archetypical, much like Mage the Awakening it could be just colored by how you reach the place. So Piercing the Membrane lands you in a place of Alien Spirits, Planetary Celestines and Universal aspects, while traveling by trods in the Dreaming lands you at the gates of Arcadia and ancient gods.

What about Changelings making Spacestations? What if you combine Fae Magic with Billion dollar budgets of Nasa? Nasa must be one of the most paradoxical organizations changelings could encounter. Both filled with fantastic dreamers, as well as Autumn people and Technocrats. Changelings could potentially reach space’s dreaming using trods or magic travel. They could drive convoys of trucks into skytrods, build a spacestation and maybe push it into the Real World Space. How far could Fae Magic get you? Dark Age magics seemed to imply the Lunar sphere was the farthest Earthly magics could send someone. The moon must be like a Giant Glade/Glen/Freehold! A big holy rock to changelings and Fera alike. If you had a spacestation and have travelled there would you be able to use Treasures or Cantrips to take you back easier? Or is it too far? I like the Idea of things like Mar’s Dreaming, Astral Mars, and Aetherial Nergal Realm Mars ties all together, and heavenly bodies mix these three realms together.

Ideas? Tweaking actual canon? Would you in your homegame include more kith variety or keep it few and simple? I think when I get around to doing a game on this I would keep them relatively low in numbers at first to emphasize they are maybe just arriving, are few in numbers, or maybe aren’t part of the changeling way and thus only a handful are born in the generation and they stay dead when dying. Or maybe a big swell of them could represent they made a vast stellar journey and are declaring Asylum on Earth. Maybe you could even do a chronicle based on Alien Dreaming Versus Terrestrial Dreaming. What if the Void of Space is what happens when you fall to Final Winter, you become cold predictable sterile science?

It is a time for great deeds!

This is something my home group kicked around quite a bit.

SHIPS
    To properly travel the starry skies, a crew needs a ship. Thankfully the dreams of mankind have supplied many designs for the fae to draw from. To make such travel easier for Storytellers, I use the following rules taken from “The Book of Worlds”, and very handy forthis purpose.

Ship Combat
    Aethership combat is best left to narrative storytelling; nothing gets in the way of a good space fight like alot of chart-checking. The "rules" below aren’t meant to be tactical simulations, but quick-and-dirty resolutions for tense situations.
    Basic Rolls: When rolls are necessary, like during a dogfight or pursuit, the Storyteller should have the helmsman of both craft make resisted Wits + Piloting rolls (see Combat Maneuvers Chart for difficulties). Whoever scores the most successes wins that turn. If both sides were trying to do damage, and both succeed, both ships are hit. Dont split dice pools.
    Multiple Gunners: If an additional person controls the ships guns, that character can make an additional Dexterity + Heavy Weapond or Wits + Pilot roll on the chart. Figure damage normally. For ships with multiple guns, simply maks one roll and add two more damage dice for each additional gunner firing at the target.
    Hull Strength: Ships can take a number of "Health Levels" in damage before ripping open, and automatically soak a certain amount of the attacker's successes before damage is applied.
    Hull Damage: A ruptured hull leads to all kinds of problems - explosive decompression often sucks debris and crewmen out the hole, and drain air from the damaged chamber. Attacks like tentacles, gunfire or magic can bypass the ships armor ans tear up the inside of the ship if they target the hole (+2 difficulty).

Ship Combat Maneuvers
    Attempt Difficulty Notes
    Distant evasion 6 Leaves fight
    Close evasion 8 Escapes pursuit
    Pull "up" 9 Change course suddenly
    Closing in 7 Gets you in tight
    Ram 5 Crash!
    Rend 6 Rip hull open
    Unlock 8 Pull away from boarding
    Strafe 8 Rake target with fire while passing
    Blast 6 Shoot target
    Dodge fire 8 Avoid being hit
    Target breach (+2 difficulty)
    Long-range target (+2 difficulty)
    AETHER CRUISER

Roughly 50-feet long, aether cruisers are fish-shaped armed and armored aircraft typically painted bright primary colors. Despite their steel plate and rivet construction, they weigh only a few hundred pounds because of the anti-gravity material with which they are packed. Their performance more closely resembles that of a dirigible than of an airplane. A cruiser’s guns are mounted in two rear-facing turrets as well as two forward facing torpedo bays.
    Size: 50ft, tip to tail fin; 30-foot wingspan
    Crew: Six (pilot, co-pilot, comm/sensors/nav officer, engineer, two rear gunners); plus, a 10-man boarding party (or 10 passengers).
    Armament: Two rear-mounted .50 cal machine guns; two forward torpedo bays.
    Hull: Takes 10 Health Levels before rupture; subtracts five successes from most attacks, and three from magical ones.

SKYRIGGER

Skyriggers are “space-blimps” resemble a sailing ship of grand design. Outfitted with balloons, fins and sails jutting out at odd angles. The balloons pull the vessel into the heavens, where the starwinds bear the ship into the deep aether. Three decks, luxuriously appointed, house the crew. These vessels have seen a great deal of service over the centuries, but were largely outclassed by the more versatile and modern ships of Boggan and Nocker design. Still, a number of these vessels are still in use, and are often used by privateers (and pirates).
    Size: 430 feet long and 50 feet in diameter (1/2 size of the Hindenburg)
    Crew: The average skyrigger sails with a crew of 40.
    Armament: Four cannons (10 dice damage).
    Hull: Skyriggers can sustain 15 Health levels before rupture. Subtracts 8 successes from most attacks.

Last edited by MythAdvocate; 06-12-2017, 07:24 AM.

“Humpty had always sat on walls, it was his way.”
    Jasper Fforde, The Big Over Easy

Comment

House Pleiades

“It was a star," Mrs. Whatsit said sadly. "A star giving up its life in battle with the Thing. It won, oh, yes, my children, it won. But it lost its life in the winning.”
      -Madeleine L'Engle, A Wrinkle in Time
      Symbol: Seven Pointed Star (Faerie Star or Heptagram)
      Legends connecting the Fae with the stars are widespread across many cultures. House Pleiades is a house that since the early days of the Sundering allied themselves with the Stellar Incarnae of the Pleiades star cluster, gaining great allies with these strange beings. Mater Pleione, the founder of the house, left the Mortal Realm in the early days of the Sundering to found the Realm of Seven Stars in the Dreaming Aether. There, she and her daughters created a mighty realm away from the politics of Arcadia.
      And so in the grim days of the Shattering and the long Interregnum House Pleiades kept to its own Realms and the Stellar Trods across the Aether. The True Fae amongst them either retreated into the stellar abodes of the stars they served or took to the Changeling Way. There along with their kinain followers this house developed mighty magics and Aether Ships to maintain their Realm. And there they waged many battles with Nightmare Chimera and Dark Fae, dark shadows between the stars.
      Before the Sundering, Mater Pleione was the consort of the Titan Atlas (a Fomorian of great power), and so members of this house are not trusted by most other houses. Thought the Autumn World was cut off from the "Fleet of Stars" these Fae and their kinain consors established bases nearby on the Dreaming aspect of Venus, Europa, Jupiter and the Otherworlds of Vulcan and the Hollow Earth.
      The Stellar Incarnae that they serve are beings of light, and so anything that catches and enhances light is favored by members of this house. So bright colors, prisms and other crystal patterns are common in their designs and personal adornment. Older members of this house prefer flowing robes or cloaks, flowing hair and garments that allow movement. It is said that the persistent Crystal Spires and Togas theme found in so much of science fiction can be linked to this house.
      Since the Return, House Pleiads has sought to reconnect with its Earthbound Fae relations (including Autumn Sidhe), but has little use for squabbles between Sidhe and Commoner. This house prefers to be allied with forward thinking fae such as House Dougal, Nocker Aethernauts, Krofted Inanime (Solimond and Undine in particular) and similarly adaptable fae. In their mortal lives, House Pleiades Sidhe are stargazers, Astronomers, Astrologers and anything else that deals with the nightime sky and the stars. Since the Resurgence Autumn Sidhe, Boggans, Pooka,Trolls and even Kachina, Nanahi tribes of the Nunnehi are all found in this house.
      Boon: Nobles of House Pleiads may see clearly in pitch darkness. A chimerical crown of pale silver light shines from her brow while this power is in use. The character must state when this Boon is in effect, but it requires no roll or expenditure. The character suffers no difficulty or dice-pool penalties from darkness. House Pleiads fae gain Remembrance 3 and cannot botch Kenning or Gamarye rolls.
      Ban: Members of of House Pleiads are all servants of the Seven Sisters, and as such are subject to the desires of these powerful beings. At any point one of these patron spirits may ask a favor of the character, which comes via a spirit servant of the Incarna, usually in a dream. Members of this house are bound to obey this summons unless forcibly restrained. Furthermore, members of this house attract the attention of Nightmare Chimera and related Spirits such as Banes (Chimera and Spirits are the same thing in my campaigns), and will always be the favored target of such creatures.

HOUSE PLEIADES COLONIES
      In the days leading up to the Shattering, House Pleiads brought kinain and enchanted mortal followers into the Dreaming, creating homesteads in the Aether (Dream Space). These colonies were placed on distant planets (asteroids, moons, etc) that are reached through the Dreaming using Star
      Trods. As with all Dream Realms these are worlds in their own right, and have both a physical and Dreaming portion, just as Earth does. The Stellar Colonies placed on these worlds were composed of enchanted mortals, a kinain ruling caste and a few Changelings to start out. All initially in allegiance to the True Fae Firstborn who planted them there.
      During the days after the Shattering, these colonies were cut off from Earth, and had to fend for themselves against Nightmare Chimera and wicked Fae. Many times, these colonies have developed their own cultures, partly based on their origins and part on the strange environment. These colonies are also home to imported Earth animals, Inanimae and all manner of strange chimers, from aliens of every description to chimerical robots. A small number of True Fae can be found in the colonies, but they are very rare away from the Pleiades Star Cluster.
      Nowadays, Most of these colonies resemble Greek or Roman cultures with some Central and South American elements mixed in. The overall effect is reminiscent of the images of Atlantis found in art and folklore. Despite the presence of Romanesque architecture and toga-wearing locals, technology is advanced, making use of weird elements and magic for its construction and power sources.
      Last edited by MythAdvocate; 06-12-2017, 07:23 AM.

Comment

I like the nice simple rules you have for vessels.

Curious how this is the first homebrew house I seen on the forum yet so many homebrew kiths pop up. I feel houses are just as ripe for homebrewing. Definitely using House Pleiades in my games. Probably going to even pop them into my Wild West game.

Comment

Cool ideas! I've seen a couple of things over the years about sci-fi changelings, but even though interesting they never seemed to fully embrace the idea of kithain being part fae. I like the concept but wonder how it would play out in execution.

Visit my freehold for Changeling links, settings, art, and other goodies.
          The Shepherd's Freehold

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherd View Post
            Cool ideas! I've seen a couple of things over the years about sci-fi changelings, but even though interesting they never seemed to fully embrace the idea of kithain being part fae. I like the concept but wonder how it would play out in execution.
            For my home group, I found that it needs a home base in the Autumn world for balance. The Aethernauts in general are funded by wealthy fae on Earth, and so there was a need to go home. Also, Bedlam / Space Madness is a major issue.

In the campaign, a Nocker Inventor (uncle to a PC) had disappeared after his exploration into a revolutionary power source drew unwanted attention. This power source, the Telluric Resonance Drive (TRD) combine a captured Bane, Pattern Spider and a Wildling into specialized chambers linked to a Balefire. As there three beings essences are mingled, it creates a powerful "reality bubble" that powers the ship. Needless to say, some awful critters were after this invention.

As the PC's discovered more and more, they became embroiled in the mad scheme of sending vessels into the skies of the Dreaming, and eventually into Umbral space.

Last edited by MythAdvocate; 07-13-2017, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MythAdvocate View Post

For my home group, I found that it needs a home base in the Autumn world for balance. The Aethernauts in general are funded by wealthy fae on Earth, and so there was a need to go home. Also, Bedlam / Space Madness is a major issue.

In the campaign, a Nocker Inventor (uncle to a PC) had disappeared after his exploration into a revolutionary power source drew unwanted attention. This power source, the Telluric Resonance Drive (TRD) combine a captured Bane, Pattern Spider and a Wildling into specialized chambers linked to a Balefire. As there three beings essences are mingled, it creates a powerful "reality bubble" that powers the ship. Needless to say, some awful critters were after this invention.

As the PC's discovered more and more, they became embroiled in the mad scheme of sending vessels into the skies of the Dreaming, and eventually into Umbral space.

Good grief! That is some reality-bending shinnanigans on par with a Mage game!

Comment

Hmm I'm going to start a game with only one or two players, my future neighbor/s, and I want to set it at Anchorage Alaska but also with spacey theme. I finally read C20 and the Freeholds book and I understand this newly revised setting a bit more. He always jokes he a reptilian from the Pleiades so I may revise the options to have him be a Reptilian from House Pleiades whose fae memory is from the stars and helps get settled into Fae society. Maybe I'll let him be a one Off Reptilian that isn't a Thallain or I'll revise how I handle them.

But now reading things Inanimae that we are given are just samples so I feel a Meteor Gladeling wouldn't be a Glome it would be there own type, something like Asteriae, or maybe call them Asterids. Hmm need to think their specific Phyla traits.

And upon reading the Adhene I feel the Dark-kin would be a particularly great way to represent secret alien invaders and bodysnatchers, as they can possess folks and are foreign to the pacts of the Tuatha so they would be banned from the Silver Trods. Maybe the Great Star Roads are a new type of trod or maybe its one of the Paths of Balor like the Black Paths.

Hmm I can consider how the Kithain will react to finding out Alien kiths are a thing.

Comment

Working...
                X