Where's the Nymphs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where's the Nymphs?

So we have Nymphs as part of the Kuberas (Though really they should be a subgroup of Ondines) in C20. But back in the older changeling books, like many 2nd ed ones they have Nymphs as part their section talking about Gallain, separate from Inanimae. So were they originally planning another group of Changelings that they never got around to for Nymphs? Were they changed to Merfolk last minute, though that is a Saltwater change? Should I treat mentions of them separate from the Inanimae sections of opinion as just part of the Inanimae?

Or do you think, Wish Upon a Star, that we will someday get a Nymph Gallain?

How do you think they would be different? I'm guessing they will be similar to Merfolk in that they consider themselves all Nobles, and they are usually separated from humanity. Perhaps they were planning on separating Nymphs into kiths, like Nymphs, Dryads, Nereids, ect, and maybe even adding in things like Apsaras.

Did any of the Writers ever comment on this back in the old forum days?

It is a time for great deeds!

Just make them female sidhe, with some Merits and Flaws tying them to trees?

Comment

They probably would've shown up as a new minor kith in one book or another, the way the Selkies, Piskeys, Clurichauns and Green Men did, had the line not effectively ended before being kept briefly on life support by the Arthaus project.

Curiously, in Greek myth, satyrs were all male, while nymphs were all female, supposedly being counterparts of each other, IIRC. Which would've been odd if WW had decided to go with that for the Kith(s).

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
      Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

I've always assumed that the Inanimae were retroactively what the mentions of nymphs were referring to.

Charlie Cantrell
        Onyx Path Freelancer
        Changeling: The Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition, Conquering Heroes, Book of Freeholds, Guide to the Night, C20 Players Guide

Comment

Which makes sense, honestly. I can see them as Kubaras.

Onyx Path Moderator
          Forum Rules
          This is my mod voice. This is my goth voice.
          [Geist: Balance of Shadows ][ Vampire: The Conspiracy of Hrad Černá Hora ][ Scion: Bohemian Front][Changeling: Malibu Dream House] [Demon: Night Train Detective Agency] [WoD: The Golden Eagle]

Comment

Originally posted by PookaKnight View Post
            I've always assumed that the Inanimae were retroactively what the mentions of nymphs were referring to.
            Which makes sense but in like book of houses 2 for instance they list both Nymphs and Inanimae in the opinions section.

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
              They probably would've shown up as a new minor kith in one book or another, the way the Selkies, Piskeys, Clurichauns and Green Men did, had the line not effectively ended before being kept briefly on life support by the Arthaus project.

Curiously, in Greek myth, satyrs were all male, while nymphs were all female, supposedly being counterparts of each other, IIRC. Which would've been odd if WW had decided to go with that for the Kith(s).
              But there were roman era statues depicting female satyrs and their kids I'll find the pic after work. And it seemed to me more Satyrs were Randy and usually depicted as male, and Nymphs were always females and chased around by satyrs cause they were hot. Satyrs were creatures, perhaps somewhat divine if all of them descended from Pan, while Nymphs were the very children of the Gods and Titans, first gen children.

Comment

I don't know about last editions, but I can picture a Nymph as a really powerful Kubera with the following merits: Calming Presence, Poetic Heart and Seasonal Magic (Spring/Summer).

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post

But there were roman era statues depicting female satyrs and their kids I'll find the pic after work.
                  Curious. Is it Roman or Renaissance?

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                  Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Originally posted by PookaKnight View Post
                    Both the Inanimae book and some other sources I only half remember say that you are right, at least about some Nymphs. Others seem to be power spirits allied to but independent of the Dreaming. You decide for a given Nymph.

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post

Curious. Is it Roman or Renaissance?
                      They were Renaissance. Female Satyrs are always post Classical.

Comment

After reading the Inanimae section I more and more feel like maybe they intended the Nymphs to be the Inanimae, and hell look at the list of the types of Nymphs in mythology. I think they only didn't do this because Nymphs are limited to normally female, but if you ignore this they have a natural organization of Elemental spirits that essentially would fit well as Inanimae Phyla. I feel it would be beneficial to tap this somehow. Maybe I'll homebrew the various Nymph Phyla.

Comment

Which makes sense but in like book of houses 2 for instance they list both Nymphs and Inanimae in the opinions section.

In the Glasswalker Tribebook they say Mages don't exist. Opinions can be wrong!

I'm more confused about the Varich setup with Inanimae.

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post

In the Glasswalker Tribebook they say Mages don't exist. Opinions can be wrong!

I'm more confused about the Varich setup with Inanimae.
                            What? Really what page that sounds nuts?

Also what’s the Varich setup?

Comment

What? Really what page that sounds nuts?

Also what’s the Varich setup?
                              Page 66-67 under their opinion on mages. They don't believe in anything but sleeper technology.

Ok the Varich by the houses book supposedly have oaths that bind certain Inanimae to their service. This is completely at odds with any statement in the Inanimae book.

Comment

Working...
                              X