X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mattboggan
    started a topic Unleashing

Unleashing

Okay, I have to say that I am no fan of Unleashing. I didn't like it back then in DA: Fae, and I dislike it even more now (as all things that come from DA: Fae into Changeling).

So, I am deeply reluctant to use it in my game. Yet, I find the idea of a fae being able to summon the power of the Dreaming into the Waking Lands quite appropriate, and I have myself toyed with this idea and experienced with it in my previous chronicles. I didn't go further than "a knowledge of an Art gives you an affinity, a kind of supernatural understanding of the aspects associated with that Art. For instance, knowledge of Primal grants you an affinity with the natural world, with forests, with rivers, and you like to be in these places. When you garden, it's a rare thing if your tomatoes will become sick and you most often than not have beautiful fruits, etc."

Now, Unleashing goes way, way beyond that.

"Metaphysically" speaking, Unleashing is a changeling channeling the Dreaming through her fae being and loosing it upon the Waking World. In fact, I would argue that Unleashing is very much like Calling Upon the Wyrd, but in a more ambitious manner. I consider that Unleashing is something that maybe was once the hallmark of the True Fae, and that changelings trying to do it are in a way violating the Changeling Way, or at least acting as True Fae and thereby denying their human side.

This is why I think that to be able to do that, the changeling ought to first overcome her own Banality. I would call for a Glamour roll dif. Banality + 4 (as in the old editions to cast a cantrip -- by the way, I don't like either the generic Banality of 8 to cast a cantrip). There is no possibility of performing Bunks to lower the difficulty here. So yes, it means that a changeling with Banality 6 would have a difficulty of 10 to Unleash. I am considering the possibility to allow PCs to spend Glamour points in order to lower that difficulty on a one-to-one basis (limited to their level in the Art being Unleashed).

Then, the player spends the 2 Glamour and I would add 1 Willpower (it seems proper, as I am still considering that Unleashing is somehow Call Upon the Wyrd).

Likewise, a botch would earn the changeling a number of Banality points equal to the number of 1s, and the nasty effects described in the rule. It would also send the changeling into the first threshold of Bedlam.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by mattboggan; 06-30-2017, 03:50 AM.

• Eldagusto
    replied
    Originally posted by adambeyoncelowe View Post
    You could make Realms mandatory still, and just allow Unleashings for 'creative' uses of Arts that go outside the box? Using your performance analogy, it's going all-out method and ad-libbing in a scene. It may go horribly wrong, but it might also win you that award!
    This is a pretty groovy idea!

Leave a comment:

• Daniel Knight
    replied
    I always felt that unleashings should have more of a mind of their own. That's the point, they're un-leashed. You turned part of the dreaming loose upon the mundane world and you hope it will work out the way you want it.

The last time I unleashed in a game was a rescue mission to the antarctic. Once our targets had become warm enough to survive the trip I unleashed wayfare saying "Take us home" - the ST then chose to roll to find out whose home it took us to. I still regret that the brazilian didn't win.

Leave a comment:

• adambeyoncelowe
    replied
    You could make Realms mandatory still, and just allow Unleashings for 'creative' uses of Arts that go outside the box? Using your performance analogy, it's going all-out method and ad-libbing in a scene. It may go horribly wrong, but it might also win you that award!

Leave a comment:

• mattboggan
    replied
    Originally posted by Possessed View Post
    So you would like to make Unleashings cost more, be more difficult to perform and to have greater consequences for failing.... My only question is that if you are so opposed to the concept why not just remove it completely and play the game just using the Cantrip system as was the case in previous editions? Wouldn't that be easier?

But then again Unleashings are the one thing I loved the most in DA: Fae which just goes to show us how much YMMV.
    Yeah, I guess that would probably make more sense.

But as I said, I also like the idea, if the idea means that to bring forth the power of the Dreaming in the Autumn-turning-into-Winter world is really a costly and difficult feat, and also quite contrary to the idea of the Changeling Way.

My take on this is that I would really, really hate that Unleashing becomes a "last desperate measure" that is, in fact, used every session in a story as players would prefer to Unleash rather than to bother with casting cantrips.

Also, there is the idea that fae magic is metaphysically possible because the world is a dream or a stage in which the Story (or Pageant) is unfolding, which explains the Realms (and also the Legacies, and Dan, etc.). So, bypassing the Realms bothers me.

Hence these rules.
    Last edited by mattboggan; 06-30-2017, 07:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Possessed
    replied
    So you would like to make Unleashings cost more, be more difficult to perform and to have greater consequences for failing.... My only question is that if you are so opposed to the concept why not just remove it completely and play the game just using the Cantrip system as was the case in previous editions? Wouldn't that be easier?

But then again Unleashings are the one thing I loved the most in DA: Fae which just goes to show us how much YMMV.

Leave a comment:

• Firkraag
    replied
    I had toyed with idea of Arts giving you Cantrips: spells, charms, tricks and words of power.

Realms give you affinity with the elements of the universe, both of nature and collective subconsious. (I had a discussion, how memetics relates both to dreaming and Astral Umbra)

So, if Unleashing relies on Realms, there would be no possible way to shape the results. This isn't a freeform Arts. The Realm either turns in your favor or not. Storyteller narrates the result (but you can chime in). Obviously, the element has to be notably present and relevant to the situation to be able to help or harm you
    Last edited by Firkraag; 06-30-2017, 06:10 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X