Accessing the Dreaming

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accessing the Dreaming

The new edition seems to depart from established wisdom about the ways to access the Dreaming and the history of the fae.

In previous editions and sourcebooks, it was widely held that after the Shattering the Dreaming was mostly inaccessible as all trods were shut down. This is why the knowledge of many Arts (such as Dream-Craft) was lost up until the Resurgence which, with its influx of Glamour, revivified and reopened trods.

At first glance, C20 seems to follow this trend, since we can read, p. 300:

"For the better part of 600 years, the Dreaming and its ancient lands were truly out of changelings’ reach, but the Resurgence changed this."

Yet, in other places, it seems that the Dreaming is largely accessible, game-wise.

Indeed, the description (p. 230) of the cantrip Portal Passage (Wayfare 3) indicates that it can be used to open portals directly to the Dreaming while in previous editions only raths and trods could grant access to the Dreaming.

So my questions are twofold:

1) Did you understand like me that Wayfare 3 can be used to open a doorway in the Dreaming, one that lead to a random trod in the Dreaming unless you score 5 successes and may choose the type of trods?

2) If I understood correctly, how can it be maintained that the Dreaming was mostly inaccessible during the Interregnum if any commoner Kithain could use Portal Passage to get access to the Dreaming?

You still had to have Portal Passage, and be able to survive your trip to the Dreaming. The latter is the big limitation there, actually coming back from that trip seems unlikely (although how things play out for PCs is a bit different if the table contract doesn't include arbitrary TPKs).

It's kind of like saying before Columbus the Americas were largely inaccessible to Europeans. Technically a European could just jump on a boat and sail to the Americas at any time, but the reality is that would have been almost certainly suicide.

Comment

In 1st edition, attempts at using Wayfare to enter the Dreaming resulted in a "never seen again" scenario. So I imagine it works, but was a trip into wyld territory.

As for the Dreaming and the Interregnum, I always took it that the Near Dreaming was accessible via Freeholds and Glades. But even that was very dangerous, as it was wilderness lacking trods in most places.

Still, enough trods and stable Realms existed to found The Fields Behind and similar places.
      Last edited by MythAdvocate; 07-09-2017, 08:04 PM.

Comment

I have much reading to do, but wasn't yeah the Near Dreaming pretty accessible locally, and Far and Deep are another matter? I forgot so much. But Menehune and Nunnehi are interesting to bring up here if there was any difference for them.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

I think this is one of the editing issues and inconsistencies that have been brought up before. I would still run it as in 2nd edition, where during the Interregnum most trods were mostly inaccessible, Portal Passage is needed to open a portal into the Dreaming through a trod (but not by itself). I hope they clarify this when they do the final release of C20.

Visit my freehold for Changeling links, settings, art, and other goodies.
          The Shepherd's Freehold

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherd View Post
            I think this is one of the editing issues and inconsistencies that have been brought up before. I would still run it as in 2nd edition, where during the Interregnum most trods were mostly inaccessible, Portal Passage is needed to open a portal into the Dreaming through a trod (but not by itself). I hope they clarify this when they do the final release of C20.
            Ditto for me.

I maintain that during the Interregnum the Dreaming was not accessible (it has been stressed enough in previous sourcebooks, especially all those concerning the sidhe).

The analogy with Columbus is not working here: the Europeans didn't know that there was a land out there (or a way to reach Asia) while the changelings knew the Dreaming existed. So they had access to the "technology" AND the impetus to use it.

Comment

Portal Passage can open a trod with Fae 5, sure. But it's easy enough to rule that pre-Resurgence, you could only use it to open an existing rath or a trod that leads solely to a glade or freehold. After all, these places are essentially in pockets of the Near Dreaming--but those pockets that spill into/overlap the Autumn World. It's easy enough to say the trods can't take you anywhere deeper.

Comment

Getting into the Dreaming never seemed that terribly difficult for a Changeling suitably motivated, even in the worst period. But finding the Silver Path would be very hard, and without it most Changelings would basically be committing suicide by going.

Comment

Working...
                X