No announcement yet.

DA: Fae + Changeling in modern setting?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DA: Fae + Changeling in modern setting?

I know that DA:Fae is somewhat canon as a part of the pre-Shattering history of C:tD, even if the mechanics don't completely support it as such. C20 seems to have made a stronger case for this being the background in the game world. I've recently been going back through DA:Fae as part of a time-travel story involving kithain, and have become once again intrigued by the flexibility of character creation and variety. I've never actually played or ran in that setting, but I like the character rules and IMHO it's probably the best of the Dark Ages line.

I'm now toying with the idea of trying it in a modern setting in place of C:tD, or somehow blend it with the official game setting. Has anyone done this? How well has it worked out? Any suggestions or hints?

Visit my freehold for Changeling links, settings, art, and other goodies.
    The Shepherd's Freehold

Try running DA Fae for a few sessions first. I found the game totally fell apart because of the magic system, at least for myself and my group.

Comment

What was bad about the magic system? True, I haven't run it yet, but on reading it doesn't seem too bad.

The Shepherd's Freehold

Comment

Only tangentially related; out penultimate chronicle ended with out characters rediscovering Arcadia. Once there, our ST used DA rules for all the NPCs while we were stuck with the regular rules.

Made for some interesting interactions.

Cheers!

If you don't use an Oxford comma, I feel bad for you, son,
        'Cuz I got ninety-nine problems, but clarity ain't one.

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherd View Post
          What was bad about the magic system? True, I haven't run it yet, but on reading it doesn't seem too bad.
          Anything solvable with a system can be solved with a successful roll, at least once you get to level three. For instance, you can turn anyone you don't like into a shrub very easily if you win initiative.

Comment

Coming from a long time DA Fae fan, Mantle being overpowered is the only thing people will ever talk about for the game.

Yes we get it, the power needs revision, Rule Zero that bastard, add a duration, increase difficulty or resistance rolls. There is so much good stuff in DAFae to get so hung up one one broken power.

I've played in a Modern Fae game before, about the only thing that needs to be adjusted is Echoes, they probably need a bit more bite.

Comment

Originally posted by zenten View Post

Anything solvable with a system can be solved with a successful roll, at least once you get to level three. For instance, you can turn anyone you don't like into a shrub very easily if you win initiative.
              But part of the fun of BEING one of the fae folk in a dark ages setting is this idea of being pernicious, childish demi-gods who f*** stuff up. Think about the infamous "Turning a Vampire into a Lawn Chair" rote. What you have to remember is that there are consequences to turning someone into a statue, or chair, or campfire, or shrub. It seems easy, but it's the ST's job to make sure that in the long run there are consequences to this behaviour.

With that said, I would limit Mantle to ordinary mortals at level 3, make level 5 Dominions NPC-only, and include applying Mantle to supernaturals at level 5.

So an average Fae might turn the blacksmith into a deer, then get the townsfolk to hunt the deer and eat it at a feast, in revenge for the smith breaking an oath... while the ruler of a Court might do the same to a Lupine who tried to kill them.

Comment

Originally posted by 11twiggins View Post

But part of the fun of BEING one of the fae folk in a dark ages setting is this idea of being pernicious, childish demi-gods who f*** stuff up. Think about the infamous "Turning a Vampire into a Lawn Chair" rote. What you have to remember is that there are consequences to turning someone into a statue, or chair, or campfire, or shrub. It seems easy, but it's the ST's job to make sure that in the long run there are consequences to this behaviour.

With that said, I would limit Mantle to ordinary mortals at level 3, make level 5 Dominions NPC-only, and include applying Mantle to supernaturals at level 5.

So an average Fae might turn the blacksmith into a deer, then get the townsfolk to hunt the deer and eat it at a feast, in revenge for the smith breaking an oath... while the ruler of a Court might do the same to a Lupine who tried to kill them.

But that is the problem, isn't it? Why bother coming to play if you are basically Q from Star Trek and can screw over everything and everyone you like. It would get so old quickly and turn into boring power-fantasy nothingness (and not even the fun kind of power fantasy, since you don't have to overcome things).

Comment

The problem (and it's not just Mantle) is the magic system doesn't mean "do whatever you want". It's "whoever wins initiative does whatever they want".

Comment

It strikes me that DA:F characters in the modern world would feel much like Marauders. Though powerful, terrible opposition would move against them. Tass hungry mages, technocrats, fera, Pentex etc.

Careful thought about modern true fae is needed. What echoes would haunt them? Themes related to modern versions of fae would be fun.

“Humpty had always sat on walls, it was his way.”
                    Jasper Fforde, The Big Over Easy

Comment

Originally posted by MythAdvocate View Post
                      It strikes me that DA:F characters in the modern world would feel much like Marauders. Though powerful, terrible opposition would move against them. Tass hungry mages, technocrats, fera, Pentex etc.

Careful thought about modern true fae is needed. What echoes would haunt them? Themes related to modern versions of fae would be fun.

Very good points!

As far as being powerful, even kithain can be that way with the existing Arts. In one game I ran the PCs spent a lot of time gathering dross, enacting an extremely elaborate ritual, and lots of other things in order to use Flicker Flash (Wayfare 5) on an elder vampire to teleport him into the middle of an open field at the height of noon on a cloudless day. They spent a lot of time and glamour to lower the difficulty down to a reasonable level, despite the Banality of the vampire. And there is NOTHING in that cantrip's description limiting this!

The Shepherd's Freehold

Comment

Off topic, anybody tried playing Exiled True Fae in Changeling the Lost?

Because they're basically capricious demigods exiled into the desert of helplessness.

Comment

I have run DAFae and I play a DAFae in a VtM game (with sunlight as one of my echoes and Day prohibited as a flaw so I am not too overpowered) .
                          Dealing with shaping (mantle is self only) is easy. Works as written on mortals (plenty of instant kill powers at that level), vampires turn back to normal when they spend blood to rise the next day, you can still use any shape-shifting discipline or just change if you are a werewolf and cancel it out.

As a game DAFae is awesome, it really needed a storytellers companion though, I had a hard time coming up with stories in the setting. The ones I did were all about other supernaturals causing problems.

In modern settings you have to be super careful because there's always bigger numbers of people and you sure as hell don't want camera flashes as an echo, or specific pop songs.
                          Last edited by Coridan; 04-17-2018, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X