Dross and Richies - Money in the Dreaming

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dross and Richies - Money in the Dreaming

Hello everybody. I'm going to host a game of Changeling on next month and I have a doubt, how do you guys deal with money?

I know the game uses dross as the coin of the realm in Changeling, but how much is it worth? If a changeling, in a freehold in the form of a bar, goes buy a beer, how much does it cost and how does he pay it? A beer for dross seems a little too expensive, but using regular money seems a little banal.

I though that maybe having a currency in the dreaming might be a solution (with a background to back it up), but I think it would be problematic considering the relations with titles, resources and other backgrounds.

How do you guys solve it? And how much costs stuff (food and drink in freehold, a sword, an armour, regular services, chimerical material, etc.) in game?

I always used a barter system with no set prices and lots of haggling.

Comment

Human Money is useful it lets you get things and places. Favors are useful they let you get things and places. Particular items are useful. PResumably if there's a semimundane service like a bar you can probably pay for your beer with Money, or a song or favors rendered.

Comment

Wondered A LOT on this issue!

Their has to be SOME motivation to seek a dragons hoard, or long lost treasure!

Comment

Dross can also be purely chimerical iirc.

Comment

I'm mostly thinking on it cause I pretend to have a Goblin Market in town, so there would be a lot of cool stuff to buy and sell.

I think barter system would be good for questing, or in a deals with local community, but hardly in a Market, with travelling merchants and stores.
            Also mostly of freeholds and changeling frequented places wouldnt have much to sell, or would be a matter of pride to have basic free comodities (like a drink and some food in a Castle Freehold of a noblemen or some tea and snacks in a Slugah 1920's style basement).
            Using regular money seem like banal, so I was wondering if using a conversion system, exchanging regular money for golden coins of the Kingdom, wouldnt be better. (And also cooler).
            Using Dross to pay seems weird, cause dross can be anything. Would you pay for a beer with a bunch of chemerical fur? Or for a Sword with a bunch of bones and sticks?
            Also, how much dross cost stuff? Two glamour points for a sword? 4?

Anyway, thanks guys-

Comment

I think having set prices itself is pretty banal. So representing anything with set prices with the local autumn currency makes sense to me.

Comment

I assumed it was sort of an abstract chimerical representation of wealth, like basically it would have a resources value equal to it's chimeric item value. So a gem with a rating of two could be traded for anything of an equivalent resources value of 2, or perhaps an equivelent item or other background with a value of 2. so a dragons hoard would be represented as a chimerical resource of 5 but couldn't be divided as evenly as doing so would mean it's no longer a dragons hoard (basically it can only be divided 5 times before it loses it's significance).

I assumed anything too involved in terms of monetary wealth beyond the symbolic would be too banal (imagine chimerical tax forms)

Comment

Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post
                  Wondered A LOT on this issue!

Their has to be SOME motivation to seek a dragons hoard, or long lost treasure!

People do this for Human money all the time. There's probably a lot of stuff just done for human money. Enough money can say buy you ancient relics, drugs, the newest tech etc. Human money is probably the least valuable, followed by Dross and mystic favors but don't underestimate "does it for money" a Nocker might build all sorts of glamourous items for mundane money because well being homeless sucks.

Comment

Dross should always have a fanciful twist in keeping with the kith and services involved. Maidens tears, dragon scales, alien implants, hens teeth, hodag horn etc.

Comment

Originally posted by MythAdvocate View Post
                      Dross should always have a fanciful twist in keeping with the kith and services involved. Maidens tears, dragon scales, alien implants, hens teeth, hodag horn etc.
                      Why would the PCs accept that as payment?

Comment

That is my problem with the "dross in the money", cause in the end it is barter, as not all dross is equal.

As changelings can't absorb glamour from dross, and besides they can use the dross to charge any power that uses glamour, dross need to be destroyed in order to do so, so big bunk forms wouldnt be as useful to most changelings. A cookie that has a Glamour point is much more useful than an big horn with five to a regular changeling, as it can be much easier used and transformed.

For forger changelings the material is more important, of course, and iron, bones, wood, steel and etc are very useful to make stuff, but other changelings that want dross just for their value in glamour points it is too cumbersome. And even then the forger changeling would need to want that material, as a nocker that dont work with steampunk would have not as much use of chimerical charcoal.

In a Freehold Market would be much more useful to have a way to exchange them into more practical forms, like coins. And coins and prices are a part of the dreaming, as bargain is a important practice in many cultures and coins are an ancestral way to denote nobility and power (Sidhes would love to have their faces in coins). Being greedy and counting every penny is a dreaming aspect usually of villains, or at least Unseelie people, but of the dreaming nonetheless. Dragons sleep over piles of coins, ducks in top hats swim through pools of coins, Ali Baba's brother was killed because a lot of coins.

Not saying that taxforms aren't banal, if anything they are as banal as anything can be, but you dont need it to have money in the Dreaming. Nobles control lands and nobody cares about the land ownership papers or the tax for use, many changelings have weapons without going to extensive training, psichological tests nor having permits, and I don't even want to think the big pile of paper work that would be necessary to have the permit for a gryphon. And even contracts exist in the Dreaming, otherwise wouldn't be the Contract Art.

But I think, and I agree with Darkfoxdev that the best way to deal with it, meta-game and in game, is use amounts like "a coin", "a sack of coins", not being too specific to avoid banality. How much is a beer? A coin. How much is a sword? A sack of coins. How much is a an armor plate? A small chest of coins. (And correlate those values to resources/chimerical item values).

A regular worker would be paid a sack of coins a week, and that would be enough to him to survive and buy his need, but nothing much else

Comment

You can expand and narrow down the role and use of dross in your games, as you want.

"Okay, damn, ow. I just gotta… why the heck do all games about faeries read like they are written by them, too?" © open_sketchbook

Comment

Banality is much more subjective in c20, for some people doing math is fun. For some people Taxes let them shine. Having a Noble who "cruelly Taxes the Peasantry" sits pretty solid within both tradition and modern issues. So having natural dross stores for them to "Farm/mine/etc" makes sense thematically.

Comment

Originally posted by zenten View Post

Why would the PCs accept that as payment?
                              Because it represents dross. Rather than coins or bills, having a bag full of giggles or a purple toad is far from banal. And makes a hoard REALLY weird.

Of course, you could just have a "Fairy Gold" currency, meaning assorted mundane items and rubbish that to enchanted eyes really IS coins. Monopoly money, baby teeth, shiny rocks, chocolate coins, acorns or leaves (ash, oak, etc) as currency.
                              Last edited by MythAdvocate; 09-11-2017, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X