No announcement yet.

Dross and Richies - Money in the Dreaming

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am aware of what it said in certain areas of previous editions. For C20, it got changed to be simpler and more mechanically useful for players. What I wrote is now what dross is: solidified Glamour worth one point. All of those other things still exist, as Treasures and chimera and Glamour-infused objects.

Maggie Carroll
    Onyx Path Freelancer & Developer
    Working On: Book of Freeholds
    Worked On: V20 TMR, Demon STG, C20, Conquering Heroes, Building A Legend

Comment

Null.
      Null.
      Null.
      Last edited by Firkraag; 09-16-2017, 03:16 PM.

"Okay, damn, ow. I just gotta… why the heck do all games about faeries read like they are written by them, too?" © open_sketchbook

Comment

That may, in fact, be the very first time I've seen the act of using the raw stuff of creation to work one's will on the world be described as "banal".

Maggie Carroll

Comment

I didnt knew that Dross are all small and worth one point of Glamour each. If so, they are as good as a coin of trade as any other.

Just to be sure then, the section in the book that talks about harvesting dross from a dead chimera is only talking about taking dross (small 1-point of Glamour each) and not talking about taking horns, or scales or anything like that? I always thought that harvesting was taking the different parts of the Chimera.

Also, those parts have a special name or are just Chimerical Materials?

Anyway, thanks for helping and explaining. Always better to have an official answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Manbat View Post
            I didnt knew that Dross are all small and worth one point of Glamour each. If so, they are as good as a coin of trade as any other.

Just to be sure then, the section in the book that talks about harvesting dross from a dead chimera is only talking about taking dross (small 1-point of Glamour each) and not talking about taking horns, or scales or anything like that? I always thought that harvesting was taking the different parts of the Chimera.

Also, those parts have a special name or are just Chimerical Materials?

Anyway, thanks for helping and explaining. Always better to have an official answer.
            Glad to be of service.

In this regard, "harvesting" a dead chimera for dross is the equivalent of harvesting a balefire for Glamour. A changeling doing so is basically taking the personal Glamour pool that chimera had (the points they spend for things like Redes and such) and making it solid in a form that is thematically appropriate to the source. Harvesting chimerical materials can also be done, usually at the same time. So you could have a hunting party questing for a dragon, both to get materials like horns and bones and teeth and scales for crafting purposes, and they can also harvest the dragon's Glamour pool once they've killed it. The dross that forms in the process might look like scales or teeth or tiny gemstones or cooled embers or the like, and will each contain a point of the dragon's Glamour. Recycling parts of the Dreaming, in a way. Using all the parts of the carcass.

Maggie Carroll

Comment

I wasn't aware of the change either, so thanks for clearing it up, Maggie. I've done a full read-through of C20 once and several sections multiple times, but I've read all of 1e and 2e multiple times so I'm still remembering the older version. I think the C20 clarification makes a lot more sense, because I was also not happy with destroying something emotionally or historically important in order to free the Glamour in it. I'm going to go back and read C20 more carefully.

Visit my freehold for Changeling links, settings, art, and other goodies.
              The Shepherd's Freehold

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherd View Post
                I wasn't aware of the change either, so thanks for clearing it up, Maggie. I've done a full read-through of C20 once and several sections multiple times, but I've read all of 1e and 2e multiple times so I'm still remembering the older version. I think the C20 clarification makes a lot more sense, because I was also not happy with destroying something emotionally or historically important in order to free the Glamour in it. I'm going to go back and read C20 more carefully.
                You can definitely still do that, destroying objects to free the Glamour, but it carries social and mechanical penalties. Sometimes, someone will do it to birth a freehold (sacrificing Treasures and chimera can lower the permanent Glamour cost of taking ownership, but not without consequence), but it's definitely not as common as "break a dross to use the Glamour point instead of your last remaining personal point" option.

Maggie Carroll

Comment

Working...
                X