Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Happens when a Dauntain is captured?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post
    wondered a bit, ever since reading the immortal eye trilogy... what happens when a dauntain is brought in chains before the nobility.

Ideas think they'll be dispatched as a mercy, or given a trial to determine if they can be rehabilitated or not?

According to C20, the term 'Dauntain' is a blanket term for any of the fae who's ways are different or strange to the Kithain. The Thallain, the Hsein, the Nunnehi, the Menehuni, the Dark-Kin, all of them are listed as being Dauntain, even though they behave completely different from one another. So really, it's not a question of if a Dauntain is captured, but rather what kind of Dauntain was captured.

With the exception of the Thallain, I think the nobles would react in a manner befitting the culture and dreams they've come to personify.

The Arcadian Sidhe would probably react to them with cultural bias and racism, whether they intended to or not. Central Europe typically viewed tribal and eastern cultures as being ignorant savages. By contrast, the Autumn Sidhe have been living among human society for hundreds of years, and have adapted their way of thinking to suit the changing times. So they might view the Dauntain with a different light than their ancestors would have.

Just to give a quick run down:

Thallain = These guys predate the fae. They were created in a time when the Dreaming was pure chaos and revolved around brutal savagery and impulses. They were created by the Fomorians, while the Kithain who came later were made by the Tuatha de Danaan. Most Kithain seem to hate their guts, but the Shadow Court has been known to work with them at times.

Dark-Kin = Fae spirits who had an adverse effect to the shattering. Instead of being cut off from the Dreaming and trapped in the Autumn World, they were cut off from the Autumn World and trapped within the Dreaming

Nunnehi = The 'faerie' folk of Native American folk lore. They're organized into tribal societies instead of aristocratic houses, and they draw their power from something called Medicine, as opposed to Glamour.

Mennehuni = The 'faerie' folk of Hawaii. They survived being cut off from the dreaming by bonding themselves to the spirit world, and now draw their power from nature itself, instead of human dreams.

Hsein = The 'faerie' folk of eastern Asia. Their origins and purpose are completely different from their western counterparts. In fact, they're about as different from western fae as the Kuei-Jin are from Kindred.

Inanimae = These faerie folk were born from the dreams of nature itself, instead of the minds of humans. So their motives are likely beyond our ability to comprehend.
    Last edited by Nyrufa; 01-07-2018, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post

According to C20, the term 'Dauntain' is a blanket term for any of the fae who's ways are different or strange to the Kithain.
      You are mixing terms, Gallain is the blanket name for other Fae types and Dauntain is rather specifically different thing. Dauntain in C20 are Kithain, or even Gallain, so horrible cursed and branded by the Dreaming to be actually toxic to Glamour.

Before C20 some of the Dauntain were cursed others damaged and some were just aligned with the forces of Banality.

Comment

Originally posted by Possessed View Post

You are mixing terms, Gallain is the blanket name for other Fae types and Dauntain is rather specifically different thing. Dauntain in C20 are Kithain, or even Gallain, so horrible cursed and branded by the Dreaming to be actually toxic to Glamour.

Before C20 some of the Dauntain were cursed others damaged and some were just aligned with the forces of Banality.

Ah, my mistake then.

Comment

Originally posted by Davesknd View Post

To be honest: That sounds extremely boring for an ST to work with. Basically, we have creatures with the moral agency of D&D skeletons that our players can just kill on sight and never worry about again. I mean, it does have more dramatic impact if there was a way to redeem them and the Dauthain refuses, rejecting all hope and actually deciding to be evil, instead of being punished for something that might have been "done to them". Just feels weird that the only way to help victims is to put them out of our misery. Especially in a pretty whimsy game like CtD

Going by their description, I like to imagine the Dauntain are changelings who have succumb to nihilism. They no longer believe in anything, because to them, existence is meaningless. It might also explain how they're able to reincarnate themselves. Who cares if you waste this life, or the next, or the next, or the next? As long as you've got your own personal Konami Code, then nothing matters anymore, you've got infinite retries!

Who cares if your mortal loved ones are killed? They were going to die at some point, anyways, while you would still be walking around centuries after they've rotted to dust!

Who cares about trying to contribute anything to society if a couple decades later, it's just going to be considered obsolete and replaced with something else?

For immortal creatures like the fae, the world is on a constant loop. They live, they die, they live again, they die again, and the cycle keeps repeating. What's the point of even trying anymore?

A creature who is so utterly devoid of hope and ambition would be anathema to the Dreaming and thus rejected by it.

Their very presence in society invites death to the Dreaming and all those connected to it.
          Last edited by Nyrufa; 01-07-2018, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Going by their description, I like to imagine the Dauntain are changelings who have succumb to nihilism. They no longer believe in anything, because to them, existence is meaningless. It might also explain how they're able to reincarnate themselves. Who cares if you waste this life, or the next, or the next, or the next? As long as you've got your own personal Konami Code, then nothing matters anymore, you've got infinite retries!

Who cares if your mortal loved ones are killed? They were going to die at some point, anyways, while you would still be walking around centuries after they've rotted to dust!

Who cares about trying to contribute anything to society if a couple decades later, it's just going to be considered obsolete and replaced with something else?

For immortal creatures like the fae, the world is on a constant loop. They live, they die, they live again, they die again, and the cycle keeps repeating. What's the point of even trying anymore?

A creature who is so utterly devoid of hope and ambition would be anathema to the Dreaming and thus rejected by it.

Their very presence in society invites death to the Dreaming and all those connected to it.
            Explaining them doesn't make them any more interesting or appealing. So their're nihilistic and empty. Great. That would also imply that they sit around all day, do nothing and won't resist when someone comes to kill them. Basically, now Changelings are supposed to kill the clinically depressed among them.
            That doesn't sound right or fun or interesting.
            Really a waste...

Comment

Originally posted by Davesknd View Post

Explaining them doesn't make them any more interesting or appealing. So their're nihilistic and empty. Great. That would also imply that they sit around all day, do nothing and won't resist when someone comes to kill them. Basically, now Changelings are supposed to kill the clinically depressed among them.
              That doesn't sound right or fun or interesting.
              Really a waste...

Sure, clinically depressed is one direction they could go in. But another direction for those who simply don't care anymore is to cast aside their inhibitions and act upon whatever selfish impulse they feel at the moment. As I said, they basically have infinite retries, which means if a Dauntain chose to become a serial killer, for example, then the state issued death penalty wouldn't be enough to stop them. It might kill their mortal body, sure, but after they reincarnate, you eventually hear stories about "copycat" killers popping up in the news headlines.

Are all Dauntain psychopathic hell raisers? Probably not, it seems rather silly to think otherwise.

But the ones who actually are require a more serious course of action than simply locking them away or killing their current host.

EDIT: Also want to point out that Changeling, the Dreaming is NOT a whimsical game, as I have come to understand by looking at it from a deeper point of view. It is a game about the death of whimsy, as your character is gradually exposed to the cold harshness of reality and all that it entails. The inevitable loss of innocence, that's the horror that surrounds the game. And anybody who thinks that it's D&D in the modern age is missing the point completely.
              Last edited by Nyrufa; 01-10-2018, 01:33 PM.

Comment

In C20 I see the Dauntain as thinking the Dreaming is corrupt and wanting to destroy it.

Comment

Sure, clinically depressed is one direction they could go in. But another direction for those who simply don't care anymore is to cast aside their inhibitions and act upon whatever selfish impulse they feel at the moment. As I said, they basically have infinite retries, which means if a Dauntain chose to become a serial killer, for example, then the state issued death penalty wouldn't be enough to stop them. It might kill their mortal body, sure, but after they reincarnate, you eventually hear stories about "copycat" killers popping up in the news headlines.

Are all Dauntain psychopathic hell raisers? Probably not, it seems rather silly to think otherwise.

But the ones who actually are require a more serious course of action than simply locking them away or killing their current host.

EDIT: Also want to point out that Changeling, the Dreaming is NOT a whimsical game, as I have come to understand by looking at it from a deeper point of view. It is a game about the death of whimsy, as your character is gradually exposed to the cold harshness of reality and all that it entails. The inevitable loss of innocence, that's the horror that surrounds the game. And anybody who thinks that it's D&D in the modern age is missing the point completely.
                  Reincarnation as a changeling means an almost complete loss of memory until the dreamdance begins and they might be reborn on the other end of the planet, probably surrounded by other changelings. OH GOD, the humanity! That serial killer might... get someone completely different at some point after he has learned how to potty again! AHHHHH! /s

But at this point, after reading all of C20, I agree. Changeling the Dreaming is indeed a game about the death of whimsy. The CtD I have was holding onto it and loving every moment until it had to go. C20 is about beating it to death while whining that it's no fun anymore. Like with V20, they fucked it up for me.

Comment

1st ed was a Childling, 2nd ed was a Wilder, C20 is a Grump.

Comment

Originally posted by zenten View Post
                      1st ed was a Childling, 2nd ed was a Wilder, C20 is a Grump.
                      A very apt analysis.
                      Anyways, I'm off, to celebrate the dreamdance and walk into the autumn until winter freezes my smile. (That means that I'll be playing 1st Ed and stop commenting here. No use wasting you guys time)

Comment

Working...
                      X