Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idea for a Kith?

ORCS!

But not just any Orcs, I mean Tolkien-esque Orcs!

Distant cousins to the fair and beautiful Sidhe, Orcs were corrupted by dreams of ruthless domination. While the Sidhe ruled through elegant sophistication, the Orcs seized power through forceful brutality. While the Sidhe ruled from their fancy courtrooms and lavish castles, the Orcs ruled from within their migratory tents and strongholds. They were the highest of the lowest, with members holding positions as tribal warlords, cult leaders, crime bosses, and anyone else who's authority is punctuated by tyrannical enforcement.

As society became more sophisticated over the ages, the Orcs witnessed a hefty drop in numbers, even more so than their beautiful cousins who reflected the dreams of higher education. But as with the Autumn Sidhe, who stayed behind after the shattering, the Orcs learned to adapt; eventually finding new methods with which they could dominate others. Today, Orcs find themselves working best when they are surrounded by a group, preferably a clique who all share similar likes and dislikes. Like the war parties of ancient times, Orcs know how to rally these groups against a common threat. Or, at the very least, they know how to convince them they have a common threat, which inspires the rest of the group to follow the Orc to "war" against whoever or whatever they feel like getting rid of.

Popular Concepts: Gang Officer, Clique Leader, Self-righteous Zealot, Cutthroat Politician , Mob Boss, Dirty Cop, Obsessively Driven Sports Coach, Violent Protest Instigator.

----------------------------

And that's about all I have so far. This is just a rough preview of what I was thinking of doing with them. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Nyrufa; 01-10-2018, 09:32 PM.

Amusingly, I had always considered the redcaps to be the orc-stand-ins...at the very least, it doesn't require a ton of leaps to portray or play them very orc-ish.

Comment

Yeah, I was wondering myself what will distinguish them from Redcaps.

Comment

Originally posted by zenten View Post
        Yeah, I was wondering myself what will distinguish them from Redcaps.

From what I could gather, Redcaps are just the violent miscreants who lash out at authority for the hell of it. They're described as being dreams of hunger and violence.

Orcs would be violent, but they would direct that violence towards something more productive. They would be dreams of dominance and conquest.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post

From what I could gather, Redcaps are just the violent miscreants who lash out at authority for the hell of it. They're described as being dreams of hunger and violence.

Orcs would be violent, but they would direct that violence towards something more productive. They would be dreams of dominance and conquest.
          Well, dominance and conquest are also pretty firmly in the sidhe camp as well. Also, have you read up on the sevartal? They're basically sidhe warped into becoming Thallain.

Comment

Originally posted by zenten View Post

Well, dominance and conquest are also pretty firmly in the sidhe camp as well. Also, have you read up on the sevartal? They're basically sidhe warped into becoming Thallain.

I gave them a glance over, and from what I picked up, they sound like they're more of a manipulative kith. Over time, they gradually make people dependent on them so that they're practically begging the Sevartal to make their choices for them. (My) Orcs would be just straight up 'alpha male' take control types. They swoop in, start giving orders and anybody who refuses to comply is going to have a bad day.

Speaking of the Thallain, I actually considered making this a Thallain kith, given how they operate.

Comment

What makes them not.. House Balor?

Comment

Problem here is that the Sidhe truly do embody Dreams of ruthless domination along with many other Dreams of leadership. House Balor is very much about that.

The Sidhe may look pretty, or in the deep Dreaming painfully glorious, but they can be brutal dominators and warriors. They did not win the Accordance War through smiles alone. Gwydion, Fiona and Balor are all well know for their warriors, so are Scathach but they are less known for being domineering warlords.

Sevartal are pretty much all about ruthless domination, enough so that they can even twist other Fae into their own likeness. Sure majority of them achieve this through manipulation instead of brute force but there is nothing stopping them from that either.

Redcaps on the other hand fit your proposed concepts like a glove. KB: Redcaps is full of examples of gang leaders, mobsters and even has a zealot like paladin concept as one of the example characters, a Seelie Redcap knight. Their Bully Browbeat birthright is literally all about brutal domination. Sure all Redcaps are eternally hungry, but hunger alone does not define them. They are know as great monster hunters/slayers, ruthless gang bosses (which is pretty much how they organize themselves when left on their own) and they are very much all about being the straight up alpha male control types.

Then there are the Adhene Fir-Bholg who are also about domination and tribal warchieftain concepts fit them very well.

All in all the question is where do your Orcs fit in all this and what would make them different from the rest of the domineering leaders? How to make them different enough in their concept to not make them the ugly Balor or the Green Redcaps?
                Last edited by Possessed; 01-11-2018, 04:25 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Ah, well if the idea's already been covered so many times, then I guess there's no point. And yeah, I know the sidhe aren't a bunch of diplomats, but the idea was that they have a similar difference between Fighters and Barbarians from D&D. One has superior training and finesse, while the other draws upon savagery and rage.

I just kept imagining the lore of Orcs being created from corrupted elves and thought that they sounded like a cool idea for a more barbaric version of the Sidhe.

Comment

If it helps Balor sidhe can fit the themes of Tolkiens orcs quite well. They're brutal, about ruling through might, were corrupted by the enemy of the creators of the sidhe, and are all horribly disfigured in a way where any individual one can certainly look like an orc.

They can even rule over and fight with goblins and ogres.

Comment

And there is a fine thread on this Forum on possible Balor deformities...

Comment

There's two whole Houses I'd argue are "Barbaric" Sidhe. Balor and Aesin. One is litterally about Might Makes Right, twisted by their connection to the Darkness. The Other is "WE ARE VIKINGS!"

Comment

The two don't need to be mutually exclusive. One of the recurring themes in my games is the discovery that the sidhe were originally just the dreams of beauty, and that every kith once had its noble reflection (like the eshu do). You could always make your orcs the noble equivalent to the redcaps.

Projects I've contributed to: DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action; C20 Anthology of Dreams ("No Such Thing As Dragons")

Comment

Not quite.

In the C20 Ready Made Characters, the redcap Steve Market doesn't express the redcap tendency for hunger in the literal way. Here he's a corporate raider: he loves the thrill of acquiring companies, breaking them apart, and selling them off for maximum profit. Acquiring wealth by taking it from others in this way, and using the money he gets from it on the usual material luxuries of fine clothing, food, cars, and drugs.

Sounds like something that could be done as an orc. "Hunger for dominance and conquest" doesn't sound like too implausible of a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post

Not quite.

In the C20 Ready Made Characters, the redcap Steve Market doesn't express the redcap tendency for hunger in the literal way. Here he's a corporate raider: he loves the thrill of acquiring companies, breaking them apart, and selling them off for maximum profit. Acquiring wealth by taking it from others in this way, and using the money he gets from it on the usual material luxuries of fine clothing, food, cars, and drugs.

Sounds like something that could be done as an orc. "Hunger for dominance and conquest" doesn't sound like too implausible of a thing.

Ah, I was not aware of that. But yeah, it seems there were a bunch of similar ideas already floating around that I hadn't gotten the chance to look deeper into, yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X