Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question: How does the Kith age corelates with his human age?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PookaKnight View Post

What can I say? The '90s were formative years for me. I unironically enjoy a good, new miserable experience

Seriously though, the dichotomy between the crushing hopelessness and the unadulterated whimsy is one of the things I've always loved about Changeling: The Dreaming. I definitely try to leave the door open for wonder in my Changeling work while still establishing that yes, it is a World of Darkness gameline and yes, it is a horror setting. It's a balancing act, and how well I pull it off (or don't) is certainly up to the reader's interpretation.

Hopefully you'll enjoy Book of Freeholds more when it drops, but reading your posts, I'm not sure you will. I tried to call back to all eras of Changeling: The Dreaming's publication in my sections, but it is tonally in line with C20 and the supplements released so far.

Yeah, I noted the 90s influence. I'm so glad I spent that decade inside of my SNES. But I think I owe you an explanation of where I come from and after that, I'll leave you alone:
    I think that the unadulterated whimsy IS the horror. Few things are scarier and more unsettling than constant, unbroken smiles. What is more frightening than having a broken leg and finding out that your doctor is Barney the Dinosaur? I find Bedlam way more worrying then the undoing. I mean, imagine you visit a friend's house and they have a small child and suddenly the (glamour-ladden) toy soldiers start talking and shouting while you try to have a conversation with you friend. I find this constant feeling of being gaslighted and in danger of seeing dragons where there aren't even chimerical ones way more unsettling than dreariness. Hopelessness isn't the opposite of whimsy, it's just better hidden inside the latter. Neverland seems nice until you realize that you'll be a pre-pubescent boy for all times, there are mermaids, who want to drown you, pirates who want to kill you and fairies who might put a bomb in your home because the boss has been flirting with some new girl. (Yeah, Tinkerbell tried to kill people twice in the movie and way more often in the books... kinda fitting that she is such a big Disney mascot)
    I mean, whimsy is scary. Fairy tales are scary. They are constantly about people being killed, maimed, eaten or raped (original Sleeping Beauty had her have a child with the prince before the curse was broken). To provide an example from the fairy tales that I grew up with:

Herr Korbes
    THERE were once a cock and a hen who wanted to take a journey together. So the cock built a beautiful carriage, which had four red wheels, and harnessed four mice to it. The hen seated herself in it with the cock, and they drove away together. Not long afterwards they met a cat who said, "Where are you going?" The cock replied, "We are going to the house of Herr Korbes." "Take me with you," said the cat. The cock answered, "Most willingly, get up behind, lest you fall off in front. Take great care not to dirty my little red wheels. And you little wheels, roll on, and you little mice pipe out, as we go forth on our way to the house of Herr Korbes."
    After this came a millstone, then an egg, then a duck, then a pin, and at last a needle, who all seated themselves in the carriage, and drove with them. When, however, they reached the house of Herr Korbes, Herr Korbes was not there. The mice drew the carriage into the barn, the hen flew with the cock upon a perch. The cat sat down by the hearth, the duck on the well-pole. The egg rolled itself into a towel, the pin stuck itself into the chair-cushion, the needle jumped on to the bed in the middle of the pillow, and the millstone laid itself over the door. Then Herr Korbes came home, went to the hearth, and was about to light the fire, when the cat threw a quantity of ashes in his face. He ran into the kitchen in a great hurry to wash it off, and the duck splashed some water in his face. He wanted to dry it with the towel, but the egg rolled up against him, broke, and glued up his eyes. He wanted to rest, and sat down in the chair, and then the pin pricked him. He fell in a passion, and threw himself on his bed, but as soon as he laid his head on the pillow, the needle pricked him, so that he screamed aloud, and was just going to run out into the wide world in his rage, but when he came to the house-door, the millstone leapt down and struck him dead. Herr Korbes must have been a very wicked man!
    See all that whimsy? Everyone is so happy and eager all the time. And then people die and the whimsy won't end! Makes you long for banality, doesn't it?
    Morose melancholy can you completely numb at worst. Whimsy disarms you and if you shove realization of how messed up it is into the player, you get way more of an reaction. I mean, The Little Matchstick Girl punches you in the gut because it is genuinely hopeful and beautiful. And then you notice that you're reading the dying fantasies of an abused child.
    TL;DR: Whimsy is more horrifying than Banality could ever hope to be because you get numb to the latter while whimsy keeps you vulnerable.
    But maybe that's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by Davesknd View Post
      TL;DR: Whimsy is more horrifying than Banality could ever hope to be because you get numb to the latter while whimsy keeps you vulnerable.
      But maybe that's just me.
      You know what? We're moving this to a different thread. This one has already been derailed enough.

To make a long story short, I heartily disagree with you. m

Comment

Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post

You know what? We're moving this to a different thread. This one has already been derailed enough.

To make a long story short, I heartily disagree with you. m
        That's fine.
        I don't really feel like going on anyways. I don't see what you see and that can happen. Maybe it's bias, more likely, it's me being an idiot.

Comment

Working...
        X