Two Questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Questions

Hi everybody! I had two questions that I was hoping people could answer. I don't have access to my book at the moment so I can't check myself to see if there's a clear answer.

Firstly, how does Chimerical items interact with the mundane world? I do remember reading that a Chimerical weapon will make a normal human feel pain but the Mists will soon block that memory. But what about fully Chimerical creatures if they walk into a normal human? Do they just go through each other like the other doesn't exist? What if you have a car that is really a Chimerical chariot pulled by horses? Obviously the profile is longer than a normal car, so how does that work on the road? Do the horses try to avoid the cars? What is someone quickly merged into the lane? Would the horses be effected? Or could a Chimerical dragon tear the roof of a house?

Secondly, and this is more of a mechanical question that I'm already assuming I know the answer to: When using the Scene Realm, you still have control over who's effected, right? If you cast a spell that has Fae Realm 2, and you use Scene Realm 2 but want it to only affect enemies and not allies you can do that right? It's a dumb question and I'm assuming you have control over who gets affected in the Scene area?

Vulcan7200
    ​CtD knowledge, C20 may vary:

To mundane people, Chimerical things don't exist. When two changelings go at it in full gear, fighting with glowing weapons of pure glamour, a mundane bystander sees two weirdos pretend-fighting. If it wants to affect a human, the chimerical thingie (object or sentient) has to overcome their banality rating or risk undoing. Yes, the mists might hide the memory of being cut by a fairy sword, but the weapon might never reach it's target. If the sword looks like a sword replica or a knife, it doesn't have to overcome much.
    But that's why sentient chimera avoid banal humans like the plague unless they are in a good spot to overcome their banality (when the human is alone in a low-banality neighborhood for example).
    The overall important part is possibility. If the chimera does something that is impossible to explain in the human's head, the human's disbelief will destroy them. For example: If you have a flying carpet and a human sees you flying around in the air, the human will disbelief and the carpet will go bye bye if it doesn't overcome the human's banality. BUT if you fly so low that it looks like you are doing a Jackass and there may be wheel beneath, the facade will hold and the carpet will stay. (That's why children for example are less likely to destroy chimera: They don't know many things yet and believe a lot more)
    Now for that chariot: Humans would perceive it as a car that was as big as the chariot is, just as a mundane thing. Like a pick-up truck or whatever. As long as they think that and the horses behave like a car would, it's fine (if the horses for example, run away in all directions and humans are around,t he horses have to overcome the local banality or risk undoing. If they overcome, the humans will suddenly notice "Woah! Those were HORSES ALL ALONG! WOW!"). As for that dragon: If he overcomes the local banality, it can do whatever it wants.

Secondly: That's up to the ST and they can do as they please. Glamour and Cantrips are supposed to be slightly random and realms are suggestions to reign in that randomness.
    Last edited by Davesknd; 02-08-2018, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vulcan7200 View Post
      Firstly, how does Chimerical items interact with the mundane world? I do remember reading that a Chimerical weapon will make a normal human feel pain but the Mists will soon block that memory. But what about fully Chimerical creatures if they walk into a normal human? Do they just go through each other like the other doesn't exist? What if you have a car that is really a Chimerical chariot pulled by horses? Obviously the profile is longer than a normal car, so how does that work on the road? Do the horses try to avoid the cars? What is someone quickly merged into the lane? Would the horses be effected? Or could a Chimerical dragon tear the roof of a house?
      C20 avoids calling the Earth/Autumn Realm "real." The reason for that is that if one is real, then it implies the the stuff of dreams isn't. Chimera and the Dreaming are real. They're as real as any mortal. They're just obscured by the Mists to keep mundane Banality from destroying them. They cause people to walk around the chimera hanging out on the side walk, even though no one except changelings or other enchanted beings notices the sidestep. When a person touches a rabbit pooka's ear, she touches his bunny ear even if from her point of view she's just touching a normal human ear. The Mists do more than cloud people's mind about the true nature of the world though, they also act as a barrier. Should the mundane and chimerical come into contact in a way that would disturb the banal, the Mists don't let them interact. To enchanted eyes, it looks as though the two pass through each other.

Edit to add: In my games, a chimerical dragon can definitely tear the roof off a house! Mortals would probably interpret it as a something like a freak tornado though.

Secondly, and this is more of a mechanical question that I'm already assuming I know the answer to: When using the Scene Realm, you still have control over who's effected, right? If you cast a spell that has Fae Realm 2, and you use Scene Realm 2 but want it to only affect enemies and not allies you can do that right? It's a dumb question and I'm assuming you have control over who gets affected in the Scene area?
      As long as the caster has or can obtain the proper Realms to target what she wishes within the Scene, I always run it as yes, the caster can specify the target of her cantrips. If she Unleashes her Art, she has significantly less control.
      Last edited by PookaKnight; 02-08-2018, 05:06 PM.

Charlie Cantrell
      Onyx Path Freelancer
      Changeling: The Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition, Conquering Heroes, Book of Freeholds, Guide to the Night, C20 Players Guide

Comment

Working...
      X