No announcement yet.

What are Changeling's themes to you?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changeling: The Dreaming is only as depressing and dreary as you force it to be. All things end. That doesn't mean you can't have fun while it lasts. But, that's part of the themes of CtD to me. But then I've always played most WoD games "wrong" that way. I'm not into the "personal horror" narratives that are pushed in the game line, which is likely why I prefer classic WoD games over the more recent ones. The personal horror is turned up to 11 and is made inescapable.

The themes of CtD come from its conflicts. The main conflicts in Changeling are:
    • Mortal vs Fae.
    • Unseelie vs Seelie.
    • Nightmares vs Dreams.
    • Grumps vs Wilder vs Childlings.
    • Nobles vs Commoners.
    • Mists vs Bedlam.
    • Banality vs Glamour.
    • House vs House.

Any one set of those could easily make for an interesting session, or the theme for a campaign. Throw in multiple sets, and you're onto something epic.
    Last edited by Rabbit Pooka; 02-11-2018, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Also one thing I like about CtD is how it's probably the most meta out of all the WoD gamelines.

In that playing the game is sort of like replicating the experience of playing a tabletop RPG. The whole concept of going on "quests" into the Dreaming, the medieval fantasy trappings of the Kithain setting, and how the many fantasy TRPG character tropes not being hard to map on the kithain (trolls as fighters/paladins, sidhe as clerics/paladins, redcaps as barbarians, sluagh as arcane spellcasters, pooka as druids, etc). But when bumped up against the Autumn World, just like with actual TRPG gaming, can interrupt or bring to a screeching halt. That epic siege on the chimerical dragon takes a bit of a downturn if the troll fighter gets a call that her grandma just had an episode and was rushed off to the emergency room. Or the piskey rogue couldn't make it because he got called in to do overtime at work.

It's that sort of clash between Glamour and Banality that I really dig.

...granted I hear a lot about how some groups play Changeling and it's medieval fantasy angle...a little bit too straight and unironic. To the point where they ignore the other side of the Autumn World. And where I start saying "...you know if you just wanted to play D&D...just play D&D!"

(even then I don't exactly hear a lot about people arguing how WoD's Storytelling systems is objectively better then D&D's d20 systems)
      Last edited by tasti man LH; 02-11-2018, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post
        Also one thing I like about CtD is how it's probably the most meta out of all the WoD gamelines.

In that playing the game is sort of like replicating the experience of playing a tabletop RPG. The whole concept of going on "quests" into the Dreaming, the medieval fantasy trappings of the Kithain setting, and how the many fantasy TRPG character tropes not being hard to map on the kithain (trolls as fighters/paladins, sidhe as clerics/paladins, redcaps as barbarians, sluagh as arcane spellcasters, pooka as druids, etc). But when bumped up against the Autumn World, just like with actual TRPG gaming, can interrupt or bring to a screeching halt. That epic siege on the chimerical dragon takes a bit of a downturn if the troll fighter gets a call that her grandma just had an episode and was rushed off to the emergency room. Or the piskey rogue couldn't make it because he got called in to do overtime at work.

It's that sort of clash between Glamour and Banality that I really dig.

...granted I hear a lot about how some groups play Changeling and it's medieval fantasy angle...a little bit too straight and unironic. To the point where they ignore the other side of the Autumn World. And where I start saying "...you know if you just wanted to play D&D...just play D&D!"

(even then I don't exactly hear a lot about people arguing how WoD's Storytelling systems is objectively better then D&D's d20 systems)

I love the World of Darkness setting, but the political scheming most of the characters become involved with can be a little overwhelming for gamers like me who are accustomed to more adventure style gameplay. I mean, I get how the subterfuge angle can be fun if you've got one or two characters doing it. But if everybody is trying to screw each other over, then playing requires a bit more strategy than 'casuals' like me are used to dealing with. But with Changeling, I don't have to worry about that (too much). If I want to take a break from the political narrative and go on a hack and slash adventure with valuable loot at the end of the road, I have a perfectly legit way of doing so in Dreaming.

That's not really something you can accomplish with a game like Vampire, where kicking down your rival's door and raiding their haven is liable to get you a death warrant once news gets around the Camarilla. I personally like the Sabbat, because the D&D raiding party is a viable (if short lived) stance on dealing with your enemies.
        Last edited by Nyrufa; 02-14-2018, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X