Changeling jobs and lifestyles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lian View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amagi_Brilliant_Park just going to leave this here.. this is perhaps one of the most Changeling Animes ever....
    I liked Inu X Boku: Secret Service. Besides the rather fun concept of a bunch of folklore creatures living in the same private apartment building, it also had one of the more interesting twists on the "Pooka as liar/trickster" concept in the Kitsune Soushi, who has lived his entire life adjusting his personality to fit whomever he's with/trying to please, to the point where he's not sure he has one of his own.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
    Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Originally posted by Dogstar View Post

Hmm, some of those look pretty banal to me...!
      Most Changelings are, by genre convention, going to be living a life similar to that of protagonists (or if NPCs, interesting background characters) in urban fantasy novels, anime, young adult fiction, and the life. A Changeling bike messenger, especially one who is, say, an Eshu, is going to be more akin to the protagonists in Quicksilver, Premium Rush or William Gibson's Virtual Light than their more mundane everyday equivalent. Likewise, a Troll acting as a professional bodyguard is going to end up involved in either an epic romance or an epic revenge story, if not both.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post

Most Changelings are, by genre convention, going to be living a life similar to that of protagonists (or if NPCs, interesting background characters) in urban fantasy novels, anime, young adult fiction, and the life. A Changeling bike messenger, especially one who is, say, an Eshu, is going to be more akin to the protagonists in Quicksilver, Premium Rush or William Gibson's Virtual Light than their more mundane everyday equivalent. Likewise, a Troll acting as a professional bodyguard is going to end up involved in either an epic romance or an epic revenge story, if not both.
        Couple of points - firstly you picked some of the least banal jobs to refute my point whereas I was pointing out that _some_ of the jobs on the list looked rather banal like computer programmer or manga artist. I've been both a bike messenger and a computer programmer so I do have quite a bit of perspective on this. Really it's only the strict office based big company jobs that could be considered most banal which is why I made the point about freelancing.

Secondly you use the phrase 'by genre convention' and I'm not comfortable with applying that on such a broad basis. I don't think that in the World of Darkness that most changelings are going to have an excess of drama in their lives, as if they were the protagonist of a movie/novel/play. Their lives may not be humdrum and routine from day to day like some salaryman doing the 9-5 commute to enter data into spreadsheets for the next thirty years but then there are actually very few people who are like that in the real world.

I would venture to say that most people get more than enough drama in their lives from their everyday relationships and the ordinary ups and downs of life without needing to be thrust into a genre to account for it. To me one of the essentials of a believable NPC is that they are not a caricature or stereotype even though they may lean into one. Likewise with changelings there's no need for them to be assimilated into a genre when they're perfectly well formed 'as is'.

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post

I liked Inu X Boku: Secret Service. Besides the rather fun concept of a bunch of folklore creatures living in the same private apartment building, it also had one of the more interesting twists on the "Pooka as liar/trickster" concept in the Kitsune Soushi, who has lived his entire life adjusting his personality to fit whomever he's with/trying to please, to the point where he's not sure he has one of his own.
          I meant it in context of the amusment park, there's definately room for "amusment park Freehold"

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post

I meant it in context of the amusment park, there's definately room for "amusment park Freehold"
            I do need to find that one and check it out. Thankfully it appears to be on Crunchyroll. (I'm one of those fossils old enough to remember when the only way to see anime was to either pay a lot of money for single cassette tapes, hope your local video store had more than a dozen titles, or be incredibly lucky enough to know enough people to be able to trade tapes. It's like going from a hunter-gatherer society to having a full supermarket in 20 years.)

Comment

Originally posted by Dogstar View Post

Secondly you use the phrase 'by genre convention' and I'm not comfortable with applying that on such a broad basis. I don't think that in the World of Darkness that most changelings are going to have an excess of drama in their lives, as if they were the protagonist of a movie/novel/play.
              I could honestly care less about "most Changelings", whatever that means. The PCs in my games are the main characters in an unban fantasy roleplaying game, and are inherently destined to live interesting and exciting lives that leave a lasting and noticeable impact on their communities and the greater game world. The original poster asked for ideas of what kind of human careers a Changeling character might pursue (as opposed to a completely Fey one like dragon slayer or baroness of the realm) and I offered up a list of ones I've seen players do (and do very well). I want most of the fey - PCs and NPCs - in my games to be at least half as interesting as the protagonists, antagonists and other named characters in a decent movie/novel/play.

Comment

Can Changelings subsist completely on Chimerical Food? Cook would be an awesome Jorb!

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Working...
                X