Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So do they just not acknowledge leprechauns as a Thing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So do they just not acknowledge leprechauns as a Thing?

So now that its no longer Saint Patty's day I'm celebrating late. I always loved the Clarichauns but something bothers me. Is it they just say nope mortals got it wrong there weren't Leprachauns and Clarichauns, only Clarichauns? It feels to me back in the day they did the Clarichaun thing because its an edgier cooler less known fae, like using Redcaps instead of Goblins (though we later got Goblins who I would have liked if they called them Gremlins instead...). Were Leprachauns never a thing? If feels to me it would have been more cohesive if they did Leprachauns were the Kith, and Clarichauns the Thallain. Now don't get me wrong I love how they did it, both Clarichauns and Bodhachs. Just addressing the Green Elephant in the room.

I know they wanted to differentiate them more from Boggans and make them more exciting/romantic but it would have been neat to keep a bit more of their tradition as cobblers of shoes and maybe be brewing experts too.

Just felt the Clarichaun pick in C20 was trying to be too edgy by making it a tall looking guy who didn't really wear much green. I would have kept the green thing as a highlight, like how Redcaps treat red.

It is a time for great deeds!

Whether or not Clurichaun and leprchauns are separate concepts of just regional variations on the same fairy is an argument that professional folklorist have been arguing for centuries. While the gamer in us probably wants a neat setup of various "-chaun" types each with theirown splat and specialization, folklore is rarely so neat and tidy so one could easily decide Clurichaun are the real kith, especially since Leprechaun has.. baggage.

Comment

Yeah I figure they ditched it because of the baggage, for the same reason they chose Sidhe as a kith instead of say elf/alfar. But it seems unavoidable to ignore Leprachaun in the discussion. So either its something that would cause the Clarichaun to laugh/be furious or its something they go by half the time which is probably how I would handle it.

Comment

I'm reminded of this:

via Imgflip Meme Generator

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
          Yeah I figure they ditched it because of the baggage, for the same reason they chose Sidhe as a kith instead of say elf/alfar. But it seems unavoidable to ignore Leprachaun in the discussion. So either its something that would cause the Clarichaun to laugh/be furious or its something they go by half the time which is probably how I would handle it.

Seems as avoidable as elf/Alfar. I mean no one asks Sidhe if they are that or Leyshey or whatever..

Comment

You've also got to factor in self-identity. People often choose names because they want to avoid the baggage that might come with another, more popularly used name. I could see the politics behind the names being a large driver of that terminology. The kith has scope to represent both versions of the myth, still.

Comment

Originally posted by adambeyoncelowe View Post
              You've also got to factor in self-identity. People often choose names because they want to avoid the baggage that might come with another, more popularly used name. I could see the politics behind the names being a large driver of that terminology. The kith has scope to represent both versions of the myth, still.
              But then what about over a hundred years ago, before mass media, Darby O'gill, and Lucky Charms?

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
                But then what about over a hundred years ago, before mass media, Darby O'gill, and Lucky Charms?

What do you think Pooka were called 100 years ago? Do you think they are called Pooka all kithaindom?

Comment

I prefer Leprechauns. Clarichaun in the Hood just doesn't roll off the tongue quite as well.

Comment

Nitpick incoming: The shortened form of Patrick (at least in Ireland) is Paddy. Patty is short for Patricia.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
                      Nitpick incoming: The shortened form of Patrick (at least in Ireland) is Paddy. Patty is short for Patricia.
                      Comhghairdeas leat, a Willow!

The reasoning is fairly simple. Patrick isn't an Irish name, but Pádraig is. So it's shortened to Paddy when referring to the name Pádraig, which most people just say as Patrick in English.

Slán.

Comment

Exactly hence why Pat and Patty are neutral gender names.

Comment

Check the Court off All Kings (novel) pg. 151. Leprechaun is just the degenerated human name of Chlurichauns and nothing more.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit Pooka View Post
                            Comhghairdeas leat, a Willow!
                            A Bhuileo* (Dá mba an Ghaelainn ghlan a theastaíonn uait )

*To anybody reading that'd be Willow in Gaelic spelling, bit in brackets basically means "If you want to be a purist" as a joke

Comment

Something else bothering me... the Clarichauns are the only Kith without pointed Ears in the kith section... and they really don't even have a fae mien...

So at the very least I am going to have them have pointed ears. And a possibly apocryphal origin of them being degenerated sidhe, since their origins in the real world are essentially the folklorization of the Tuatha gods of Ireland. So a batch of Sidhe degenerated into Clarichaun upontaking up the Changeling Way ritual and dying. They were reborn into Clarichaun and lost their Houses.

At least this way the Clarichaun would be something akin to commoner/nonsuper beautiful Sidhe.

Comment

Working...
                              X