Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eldagusto
    replied
    I original was very much against things like Kiths based on other supernaturals that already exist, like Vampire Kiths since we already have Cainites. I was eventually won over however, I remember someone else arguing the idea of Enchanters for instance being a Mage stand in Kith, and the C20 book really encouraging it. Because for one these are Kiths based on the Folklore and Myth and function well even if you don't have Prodigals, like Strigoi/Vryakokas are not really so much based on Cainites they are based on rural myths. Its kind of a meta thought exercise. The C20 book really embraces homebrewing, and these wouldn't be Kiths that have numbers that equal the numbers of say Pooka or Boggans. Before I read the Kith Creation section in C20 I wouldn't of made the Electric Shadows because they aren't Faery myths, they are movie Archetypes but the Kith Creation section talks about why not try making Kiths that aren't copy and paste myths and something new, also inspired by the spirit of creation that went into making the Fan-kith Jongaleurs. So I like the idea of lots of Kiths exist that don't really number very high, and are really nonstandard like how Selkies don't really work like normal kiths like Boggans, their Souls are linked to their Pelts and are passed on to relatives.

So it isn't really a VAMPIRE Kith, but it is a Vampire Kith in the sense of Witch/Vampire/Evil spirit folklorish beings. Its vampire in the meta sense particularly of what inspires the creation of the kith as a though exercise.

Leave a comment:

• Lian
    replied
    I think "Kith that is based on the dreams of another prodigal" is not game space worth developing it both undercuts the "Changeling story" and would probably work better in a full on Lost girl "There aren't prodigals' setup where everything is covered by changelings of some fashion. Second I think every urban myth gets a kith/thallain is sort of undersells the whole "the dreaming is dying.."

This doesn't mean though I think say for example a Baba/Hag based on Baba Yaga and her kin would be bad space, just that "VAMPIRE" kith would be a bad one, or "HUNTER" kith would be a bad one. I think generally there is a certain amount of inhumanity built into what should be a fairy, a sense of the the other worldlyness, Modern kiths I'd try would be cryptids possibly aliens(one could even play up the "no we've always been here.." chariots of the gods stuff..)

Leave a comment:

• Eldagusto
    replied
    Also maybe a Hunter Kith could be the Benandanti, yes I know Wraith uses them but I am admiting they are Kiths inspired by existent beings. they could hunt Thallain, Witches, Ghosts and Demons, probably often joining house Beaumayn. Their Thallain could be Malandanti, or Strigoi/Strega for another type of Witch, in the form of a Thallain Kith that specifically curses folks.

Leave a comment:

• Eldagusto
    replied
    Well I was thinking they were the Mage inspired kith specifically and broadly applicable. Like I have the Beasties be inspired by the Fera, and a new kith the Strigoi inspired by Vampires. The idea I got was from Baba Yaga Tales were Baba Yaga only seemed to harm people that offended her, so she couldn't get at Vassila the Pure. So its going off the Folkore Witches that used Familiars, that way they could also be used very far and wide, even among the Nunnehi and the Wandering Dream's Kith. Originally before Warlocks I was thinking of Hags as my Thallain, but I changed it partly because we already have the River Hags and Bodhach. But I feel already Unseelie Sidhe, Ailill and Eiluned particularly, fill the Role of Fairytale Fair witches and I wanted one that could fit other aspects. As already many of the Faerytale witches were royals. So I want some Baba Yaga's and Aboriginal Witches. In fact I think the Skin Walkers would already fit the Nunnehi Thallain of these fellas. Circe Again is a noble Witch, being a child of divine beings. Though I guess many of the Witches weren't impossible Beauties besides Snow Whites Mum in law and Circes for the most part being particularly hot, but not the World's hottest. And most being just somewhat attractive Enchantresses (Another Kith name I considered for them back with Enchanters being the Kith and Hags being the Thallain). So these Witches I could have fill the Roles of Baba Yaga, and the Troll Mothers of Norse tradition like Angraboda, the Giantess Voluspa, and various Italian folklore about witches selling their souls to the devil. Plus having a Familiar would be a rather unique Birthright kinda fun and different.

One of the limits I considered was maybe they need the hair or blood or whatever willingly given to them. Or what about using a sample for a bunk uses up the sample in casting the cantrip.

The Disney Maleficent had that Crow/Raven she had a hardon for.

So Strigoi/Vrykolakas were another Kith, they could say suffer -4 pain penalties for activity in the Daylight until they can slumber in the dark of the Earth or Water for a day. Or maybe some similar penalty if they don't consume human blood, or supernatural, blood what once a week? Once every other Day? Also having to make a roll to resist consuming blood? Maybe gain enhanced healing or physicality after feeding? Maybe a glamour pool that can offset Cantrip costs that can be replenished with drinking blood? Or a ban against running water, or Running water paralyzes them? Or Holy Symbols and Garlic repel them? Though they could be the more primitive Thallain to say a Baobhan Kith of seducers.

Hmm now I just need Kiths for say Mummies and Hunters. Maybe Also Prometheans. Dauntain/Autumn People kind of already fit the Hunter Roles. Or maybe take a note from the Lost and do a Huntsmen Kith representing maybe Cernunnos and the Wyld Hunt.

Huntsmen for the Kith and I don't know what yet for a Thallain, maybe Stalkers playing off of the unseen watchers particularly proliferated in Urban Legends, like the Call Came from inside the House and what not.

Maybe a Revanent Kith for Mummies, and maybe Prometheans. That keep coming back from the dead in the form of a birthright of extra coma/torpor health levels? Or some other similar effect. Maybe Zombi are Thallain that are often either simple or easily enslaved/dominated and maybe hunger for brains/flesh.

Also I expect we eventually will get a Hulda, it just seems like a perfect Kith, but I guess I should bang one out.

Leave a comment:

• Lian
    replied
    Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
    Hmm no I never considered Inanimae. So you mean like the Empire of Flickers for Inanimae of Light and Radiowaves?
    Hmm.
    They are briefly mentioned afew times in the books and Nockers apparently have some idea they exist.

Yeah I was thinking Prop too. I was thinking on the Flaw, anything from cannot harm the innocent, or other witchy flaws.
    I'm thinking solidly on the theme of fairy tale witches vs "ANY WITCH EVER" since that's mage. Fairy tale witches are VERY good at harming the innocent especially when they are angered.

Snow White and Sleeping beauty would be my primaries. Perhaps Circe.

I am not sure if a separate "Hag" should be a thing or just their grump version.

Yeah that was along the lines of the Sympathetic Magic Birthright I was thinking of. So you think its too powerful without limiting the freshness of the blood sample?
    two weeks might be too short, maybe a year and a day.. I'm spitballing. I don't like the idea of "THIS LASTS FOREVER" in changeling..

Another Birthright might be their Fae Soul is placed into their Familiar, and they are like a living version of the Selkie Coat. Or maybe instead of the Sympathetic magic they can cast arts through their Familiar as well as through themselves. And maybe their Familiar has stealth and nigh immortality, or maybe they are built like Chimerae but bound to a mortal animal.
    I can't think of a fairy tale witch that has a familiar. Superior beauty? Inhuman strength?

Leave a comment:

• Eldagusto
    replied

Hmm no I never considered Inanimae. So you mean like the Empire of Flickers for Inanimae of Light and Radiowaves?
    Hmm.

Yeah I was thinking Prop too. I was thinking on the Flaw, anything from cannot harm the innocent, or other witchy flaws. Yeah that was along the lines of the Sympathetic Magic Birthright I was thinking of. So you think its too powerful without limiting the freshness of the blood sample?

Another Birthright might be their Fae Soul is placed into their Familiar, and they are like a living version of the Selkie Coat. Or maybe instead of the Sympathetic magic they can cast arts through their Familiar as well as through themselves. And maybe their Familiar has stealth and nigh immortality, or maybe they are built like Chimerae but bound to a mortal animal.

Leave a comment:

• Lian
    replied
    Electric shadows- Have you considered making them Inanimae instead? the Flicker Empire hasn't gotten much development and it sounds like it would be hitting on similar ideas.

Witch-quick thoughts.

Affinity: Prop.("EAT THIS POISON APPLE!")

BR:

"I curse you by the hairs on your head"-Witches may cast arts as if touching the the target if they have hair, skin, blood that is no older than two weeks from the body.

Unearthly beauty-we know how this works!

or

Something else-For the option of making a witch who is not the fairest in the land...

FR:

Pride: Witches are prideful creatures. Either in a pariticular aspect of their physical form("who's the fairest in the land..") or a particular skill they have, or just assume they are going to be invited to the christening of children. Suffice to say they are easily slighted. a Witch who is slighted who does not curse their victim recieves a Nightmare Dice.

Leave a comment:

• Eldagusto
    replied
    So the Electric Shadow Kith I am making for the Yokai project are a cluster of kiths. Basically they are Changelings that were Unnamed and eventually were reborn merging with Chimera of the Cinema. Making Subkiths like Cowboy, Samurai, Beauty, Buffoon, Martial Artist, Swashbuckler, ect. They number in the handful, some maybe even the only member of the subkith. Till the Evanescence and their numbers bolster by a few dozen.

Then there was also the older Idea I had of Witches as a Kith with birthrights of maybe using sympathetic links to use arts on subjects, and or a Familiar. Their Thallain could be a Warlock representing one who sold themselves to dark powers for might.

Also more on the Gargoyle Project.

So one of the ideas I had, and I remember a few others brought up, was creating a Kith similar to the Gargoyles from the old disney cartoon. So the idea would be Fae, lets say some Inanimae so the Dreams/Myths of the very Elements chose to take refuge in the Flesh. So they are like a mix of the Inanimae , in their primal inhuman dreams, and the Merfolk, who took refuge in the flesh but breed within their own communities living away from humanity.

So the Gargoyles are born from Eggs that come from Gargoyle pairs, or human/Gargoyle pairings. They are raised in private groups, and to help shield from Banality they turn to stone the moment the Sun Rises and return to flesh by night.

They would say perhaps have Houses for different types of statues, or possibly different Kiths.

House Fóshī: For Fu Lions and Fu Dogs, and Sacred Guardian Beasts like Dragons and Directional Beasts. Homeland originated in East Asia.

House Shedu: For Guardians of Necropoli , and plumbers of Underworld lore. They Originated in Egypt, but also include the Sumerian Bearded Lion/Bull iconography.

House Babewyn: The standard Gargoyles, Grotesques and Chimera statues popularly found in Cathedrals, originated in France and spread the quickest and farthest of all the Houses. Guardians of the cities and highest points.

House Śakra: Those gargoyles invoking demonic guardians like Asura, and Animal headed and horned guardians of hell, originating in Buddhist Territories ranging from Indian, Tibet, and Japan.

House Binesi: Gargoyles invoking the Totempole Iconography, these Gargoyles actually turn into Wood during the day and take the form of Clan Totem animals and even the Thunderbird. They are a house of Teachers.

House Kisin: Statues of Death and Skeletons originating in the Americas, the represent Gods such as Mictlantecuhtli and skeletal motiffs . They embrace cannibalism, death and rebirth.

Maybe though they call their Houses Clans, invoking the Doodem of the Ojibwe.

So maybe include Birthrights for Flying, and a physical Boost. Maybe for nonhumanoid shapes they can switch between humanoid and beast form.

What are some thoughts and ideas for these Gallain ? I'm thinking they heal all bashing Damage and one Lethal while in stone slumber. Maybe they also convert one agg to Lethal too.

They would also have Fae beasts, similar to how Gargoyles had Bronx and Boudicca?

I think this would be most fun in the Changeling setting rather then their own thing, but they would likely touch upon Wraith and the Fera as well.
    http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...kithain-groupsAnd the link to the Yokai one.

Leave a comment:

• Lian
    replied
    Originally posted by Coridan View Post

That's why I prefer DA Fae to CtD. Faeries are so varied that a free-form creation system is so much better

I've found a full freeform system has its issues as well.

Leave a comment:

• Anteros
    replied
    I posted a homebrew Kith some time ago, in a thread to that effect: http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...homebrew-kiths

Leave a comment:

• Coridan
    replied
    Originally posted by Astromancer View Post
    Like the title says, has anyone taken the option of making their own kith? If so tell us about it.

Later on, when I've checked my notes, I'll describe the one off Changeling, who was a kith of one, I created.
    That's why I prefer DA Fae to CtD. Faeries are so varied that a free-form creation system is so much better

Leave a comment:

• Astromancer
    replied
    That’s an intestine idea. I was originally thinking of Iblis as a Thallain house and all the others as Kiths but this is interesting.
    If it helps, some jinn are held to be pagans. Others are Muslim, some are said to be Christian or Jewish. None are necessarily bad or good. Most are dangerous.

Leave a comment:

• Eldagusto
    replied
    That’s an intestine idea. I was originally thinking of Iblis as a Thallain house and all the others as Kiths but this is interesting.

Leave a comment:

• Astromancer
    replied

I'm a fan of possibly using Ifrit, Marid, and Djinn as Kiths, with Ghul and Iblisi/Shaitani as Thallain Genies but I feel that Genies would be their own group of Gallain like the Hsien.
    I agree. It seems from my readings in modern Arab folklore, limited as those are, that the jinni are divided into tribes designated by color. I'd treat this somewhat like the noble houses.

Leave a comment:

• Lian
    replied
    Uhh but they made a type of Honor Troll just for the game, so why would Oni be better, they could have just made Trolls like mythic Trolls.
    They could have. I'm saying if they had a generic Oni kith of strong angry guy, I'd be more than willing to say "use that for Trolls/giants/etc"

And if I were to make Oni Trolls they would be a SubKith, so they wouldn't use the same exact rules, they would have other ones. But Buddhist Oni could actually fit the Honor thing since they often made promises that tied their wellness and strength too.
    I don't think the honor thing empowering them actually works for oni at all? It is because Oaths are so hard and painful that make them so important.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X