Changeling 2039: An altered Resurgence War Setting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changeling 2039: An altered Resurgence War Setting

Basically this is an alternate history of the WoD. It diverges from the standard WoD history in 1878 when a Fiona Sidhe Prince, Aneurin Caron ap Elwyn, one of the few remaining Fiona Sidhe that survived since the Shattering, was rescued from an attack from members of the recently founded Technocracy. Aneurin who had been depressed for decades was brought out of his Banal state by the rescue and the companionship of the young American Hermetics who saved him. (In our world these House Luxor Hermetics weren't welcomed to visit England and thus never rescued Aneurin.)

Going to America with his new allies Aneurin, a powerful Fae Magician, started to teach the local American Changelings many arts they had lost. By 1920, all the Arts in the 20th Anniversary CtD book were well known in North America. The Presence of Aneurin brought out a new thoughtfulness on how the Changelings governed themselves, Anarchist Collectives replaced the old Royal courts. This unleashed strange forces in the Dreaming.

Aneurin Caron ap Elwyn, because of his connections to House Luxor became allied with both the Order of Hermes and the Sons of Ether. He started musing young scientists spurned by the Technocracy. By the 1950's this led to a young scholar coming at the question of fusion power generation from an odd angle. His experiments, in spite of Technocracy interference showed great promise. By 1965 his fusors has achieved Breakeven! Well before the Oil Shocks several major research programs where working on commercial fusion reactors.

Aneurin, in his studies, foresaw the Resurgence, and its cost. He resolved that the feckless royal fools that betrayed the Commoners and their sworn duties wouldn't have an easy victory. So he sought allies and prepared a vast working.

Several events aided the Prince. First, with the Commoner Changelings largely dropping courts as a system of organization, and patents of nobility being largely forgotten, the Dreaming no longer hungered for True Kings. The old order was less bitter in the Long 1960s, less scared of change. Among other things this turned the 1968 Presidential election about one percent toward the Democrats, which was much more than Nixon's victory margin. Humphrey became president and sought to build bridges with the forces of change without dumping middle America. The Democrats continued to embrace the cultural changes but did not dump the Unions or the working man. Second, the Fae arts that the Prince returned to the Changelings brought them a new connection with the Dreaming. This led to a reduced preference of the Dreaming for Noble rule. Third, the revitalization of the Counsel of the Nine Traditions gave the Prince new allies with rich insights that gave his charms added force and subtlety.

When the Moon Landing occurred and the Trods were opened the Prince had already prepared the paths. The Arcadian Sidhe were diverted into a realm were Time flowed at the rate of one second to one hour relative to outside time. Thus a day in this realm was close to ten years on the Earth. The Arcadian Sidhe did escape the trap, after seventy years of Earth time.

The world they found was different....
    Last edited by Astromancer; 04-14-2018, 12:14 PM.

• Astromancer
    replied
    Does anyone use either the Lutins or the Gobelins in their games?

Leave a comment:

• Astromancer
    replied
    Originally posted by Boneguard View Post
    Looking forward to it, it sounds awesome. I'll be honest, if I ever .get around to write my Ottawa by night, I'd be tempted to add all 3 to the Changeling chapter. Thf Lutin and Gobelin on the Quebec (e.g. French speaking) part of the Region and the Jongleur with the Buskerfest
    I'm flattered. Enjoy them. Oh I corrected the spelling you mentioned.

Leave a comment:

• Astromancer
    replied
    Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
    Question is Gobelins just french for Gobelins, and used because we already have a Goblin Kith? Or is it something specific I don't know about?
    Yes Gobelins is an archaic form of goblins. But, it looks and is pronounced differently. Thus I feel it's distintive enough for this use.

Leave a comment:

• Eldagusto
    replied
    Question is Gobelins just french for Gobelins, and used because we already have a Goblin Kith? Or is it something specific I don't know about?

Leave a comment:

• Boneguard
    replied
    Nice.

They know whose button get can push and who to avoid. They would make good "public servant/government officials" antagonist I thing. Using the fact that It's a big, clunky, dark and anonymous machine to make people's life miserable in small way..

Leave a comment:

• Astromancer
    replied
    Gobelins finished and given a minor edit.

Leave a comment:

• Boneguard
    replied
    Originally posted by Astromancer View Post
    Oh the two sentences are linked. The first is spoken by an outraged king. The second by an assassin diplomat who is trying to save the king's life and the lives of as many of his subjects as possible.
    Interesting.

Well the translation is good, in case you wish to use it.

I really like them.

Leave a comment:

• Astromancer
    replied
    Originally posted by Boneguard View Post
    Nicely done and great flavor. I love the Robespierre (you are missing an 'r') ties...The Bench Revolution really fits well with the idea. And the Le Pen hook, Brilliant!

* Assuming the second sentence is tied to the first and meant "well, every day makes peace with darkness", here's a quick translation. If I'm off, les me know and I'll amend it.

"- Je ne ferai jamais la paix avec les ténèbres.

- Et bien, chaque jour le fait."
    Oh the two sentences are linked. The first is spoken by an outraged king. The second by an assassin diplomat who is trying to save the king's life and the lives of as many of his subjects as possible.

Leave a comment:

• Boneguard
    replied
    Nicely done and great flavor. I love the Robespierre (you are missing an 'r') ties...The Bench Revolution really fits well with the idea. And the Le Pen hook, Brilliant!

* Assuming the second sentence is tied to the first and meant "well, every day makes peace with darkness", here's a quick translation. If I'm off, les me know and I'll amend it.
    "I'll make no peace with darkness!"

"Why Every day does."
    "- Je ne ferai jamais la paix avec les ténèbres.

- Et bien, chaque jour le fait."

Leave a comment:

• Astromancer
    replied
    I've done the Gobelins, I'll do their stereotypes later. How do you like them so far?

Leave a comment:

• Boneguard
    replied
    Looking forward to it, it sounds awesome. I'll be honest, if I ever .get around to write my Ottawa by night, I'd be tempted to add all 3 to the Changeling chapter. Thf Lutin and Gobelin on the Quebec (e.g. French speaking) part of the Region and the Jongleur with the Buskerfest

Leave a comment:

• Astromancer
    replied
    Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
    Ohh interesting touch, so Gobelins are tricks of the shadows like tree branches that look like clawed arms on a child’s window keepin them up at night!
    You understand perfectly. I just need to finish the kith.

Leave a comment:

• Eldagusto
    replied
    Ohh interesting touch, so Gobelins are tricks of the shadows like tree branches that look like clawed arms on a child’s window keepin them up at night!

Leave a comment:

• Astromancer
    replied
    Gobelins

"- Je ne ferai jamais la paix avec les ténèbres." (I'll make no peace with darkness!)

"Et bien, chaque jour le fait." (Why? Every day does.)

If Lutins are light dazzling us, Gobelins are darkness, but not a restful shadow or a mere absence of light, they are a willed blindness, a chosen darkness. Like their Kithain cousins, these Thallains are born of human fascination with the tricks of vision. But where the Lutins are touched with joy and wonder, the Gobelins are born of fear and confusion. As society grew the Gobelins moved from just the confusions of shadow and night to also embrace the darkness of prejudice and hate. The Gobelins hated the Enlightenment, not for the Banality of a few of its less gifted advocates, but because it promoted a clarity of vision and purpose. Robespierre who crushed the true radicals of the French Revolution with the Reign of Terror, and even stole the title of radical (his actions were really reactionary) was a Gobelin Kinain, and a champion of their ideals. Some say the Le Pen family is also Gobelin Kinain.Today's Gobelin's see Foucault and Derrida as their champions. Philosophers denying the possibility of light.

Like their Lutin cousins the Gobelins, especially to fae sight, always look like small strongly built people with laughing eyes. However, whatever joke inspires the laughter of the Gobelins, always seems to be a nasty one. Gobelins seem to always be standing in a light less bright than the objects around them. The Gobelins also seem to be touched by shadow in other ways. Their hair never shines, their eyes never sparkle, the shadow they seem to stand in always feels like it comes from them. Even to strictly mortal sight, Gobelins always lack sparkle and light. Their cheeks are never rosy, their voices are never comforting, no place they dwell ever seems homely.

Gobelins tend to stay in the background until they pounce. They prefer jobs that people depend on but seldom notice, the people in the shadows so to speak. Postal workers, delivery people, janitors, accountants, law clerks, or any other job that allows access but doesn't call attention. They generally seek homes at the edge of a community. This used to mean the edge of the village were the woods and fields began. These days any border will do nicely. Given certain of their goals and desires, the border between to ethnic groups or social classes works very well indeed.

Childlings: These are the quiet kids who's neighbors cats and dogs end up mysteriously dead. The quiet children who have subtle smiles when bad things happen. When they do speak, the subtle nastiness hurts for a long time.They are practiced liars.

Wilders: Were Lutins like to seem bad, Gobelins do very nasty things on the sly. They love pretending to befriend the vulnerable. Many of these "friends" end up suiciding or worse. Gobelins love to experiment with which lie causes the most pain and how to manipulate Gossip.

Grumps: Quiet nondescript people who give you the creeps. They are skilled at undermining those around them. All the groups they join seem to fall apart in bitterness.

Affinity: Actor.

Brithrights:

Shadow workings: When using a Cantrip to manipulate shadows in any way, if a Gobelin gains even one success, they gain two more automatic successes.

When using any skill to tell a lie a Gobelin will never botch.

Shadow Walker: Any visual penalties to detect a Gobelin caused by darkness or poor visual conditions are always doubled. If a Gobelin gains a sucess in hiding from sight or stealth, they automatically gain two more successes.

Gobelins never botch Stealth or Subterfuge rolls.

Frailty:

Photophobic: Gobelins don't deal well with either light or truth. Gobelins can't work Cantrips in direct sunlight light or shadowless light. In bright sunlight or any shadowless light Gobelins always lose two dice from any pool.

Sudden bright lights like flashbulbs or any sudden glare or sparkle will cause a Gobelin to roll against either their Wits or Stamina, which ever is lower, or be stunned for ten minus their Glamour rounds.

Any forcefully stated truth can stun Gobelins in the same way. Note: Obvious facts don't do this,"The Sky is Blue!" won't phase a Gobrein. The truth is question must be relevant to the situation and important. If telling the truth brings a risk to the truth teller, the effect is magnified in both durration and effect. This will have to be a GM call as to how much risk is involved and how much magnification.

Stereotypes:

Jacques Adenet Dubois steps out of the shadows and opines...

On Boggans: They cook well enough, but the gossip they know is wonderful. The idiots don't know how to use it though.

On Clurichaun: Use them to start fights. Once the fighting starts you can easily add in the bitterness.

On Eshu: Their tales tend to teach and reveal. Find some subtle way to interrupt them.

On Nockers: Nice toys however it's their bitterness that is truly useful.

On Piskies: They have an innocence that gets on my last nerve. Still, it is so easy to blame them for one's own thefts.

On Pooka: They're innocence is a light in my eyes. Still, people trust them and blurt out useful secrets that can be so sweetly twisted into lies .But beware, they seem to have a sense of who we are.

On Redcaps: Useful thugs, but their violence is too straight foward for my tastes.

On Satyrs: Their goaty passions are so exploitable.

On Selkies: They often leave broken hearts behind. The resentment makes it easier to spread lies about them.

On Arcadian Sidhe: These childish paranoid fools make it so easy.

On Autumn Sidhe: These noble can sometimes be NOBLE! It complicates things.

On Slaugh: They know more secrets than we do and have a knack for spotting lies. Avoid at all costs.

On Trolls: They seem to see into us, piercing our shadows. Luckly they aren't subtle, but be careful around them.
    Last edited by Astromancer; 05-30-2018, 06:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X