Lets discuss making a Gargoyle Kith

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lets discuss making a Gargoyle Kith

So one of the ideas I had, and I remember a few others brought up, was creating a Kith similar to the Gargoyles from the old disney cartoon. So the idea would be Fae, lets say some Inanimae so the Dreams/Myths of the very Elements chose to take refuge in the Flesh. So they are like a mix of the Inanimae, in their primal inhuman dreams, and the Merfolk, who took refuge in the flesh but breed within their own communities living away from humanity.

So the Gargoyles are born from Eggs that come from Gargoyle pairs, or human/Gargoyle pairings. They are raised in private groups, and to help shield from Banality they turn to stone the moment the Sun Rises and return to flesh by night.

They would say perhaps have Houses for different types of statues, or possibly different Kiths.

House Fóshī: For Fu Lions and Fu Dogs, and Sacred Guardian Beasts like Dragons and Directional Beasts. Homeland originated in East Asia.

House Shedu: For Guardians of Necropoli, and plumbers of Underworld lore. They Originated in Egypt, but also include the Sumerian Bearded Lion/Bull iconography.

House Babewyn: The standard Gargoyles, Grotesques and Chimera statues popularly found in Cathedrals, originated in France and spread the quickest and farthest of all the Houses. Guardians of the cities and highest points.

House Śakra: Those gargoyles invoking demonic guardians like Asura, and Animal headed and horned guardians of hell, originating in Buddhist Territories ranging from Indian, Tibet, and Japan.

House Binesi: Gargoyles invoking the Totempole Iconography, these Gargoyles actually turn into Wood during the day and take the form of Clan Totem animals and even the Thunderbird. They are a house of Teachers.

House Kisin: Statues of Death and Skeletons originating in the Americas, the represent Gods such as Mictlantecuhtli and skeletal motiffs. They embrace cannibalism, death and rebirth.

Maybe though they call their Houses Clans, invoking the Doodem of the Ojibwe.

So maybe include Birthrights for Flying, and a physical Boost. Maybe for nonhumanoid shapes they can switch between humanoid and beast form.

What are some thoughts and ideas for these Gallain? I'm thinking they heal all bashing Damage and one Lethal while in stone slumber. Maybe they also convert one agg to Lethal too.

They would also have Fae beasts, similar to how Gargoyles had Bronx and Boudicca?

I think this would be most fun in the Changeling setting rather then their own thing, but they would likely touch upon Wraith and the Fera as well.

It is a time for great deeds!

It seems an odd choice to base them SO heavily on Disney's Gargoyles when they are very much not children of Oberon in said material. If there's a more objectively "prodigal" type its them.

Might I suggest pushing it to that level, one creature type that objectively proves the Prodigal story...

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post
      It seems an odd choice to base them SO heavily on Disney's Gargoyles when they are very much not children of Oberon in said material. If there's a more objectively "prodigal" type its them.

Might I suggest pushing it to that level, one creature type that objectively proves the Prodigal story...
      True, but that is why I see them as Gallain. The Children of Oberon would then be the Kithain, but exclude things like the Inanimae.

But the Show also didn't give them magic, outside of Demona.

But I'd be interested in opinions on making them Prodigals. So they wouldn't use Arts, would be immune to Banality but I would still have to invent powers for them which they very much didn't have in the show. They would what naturally be attuned to the Dreaming?

I mean Gallain seem to fit the Prodigal story more then the Prodigals...

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
        True, but that is why I see them as Gallain. The Children of Oberon would then be the Kithain, but exclude things like the Inanimae.

And all the Children of Oberon HAD magic. They also did have the old Gods as children of Oberon

But I'd be interested in opinions on making them Prodigals. So they wouldn't use Arts, would be immune to Banality but I would still have to invent powers for them which they very much didn't have in the show. They would what naturally be attuned to the Dreaming?

I mean Gallain seem to fit the Prodigal story more then the Prodigals...
        Make them a natural Kinain lineage. Related but not children of oberon.. then it explains why they have such lesser access to magics.

Comment

Yeah but if they are going to be player characters already assumed to be equals to changelings if you make them Kinain then they have some Magic, which already diverges from the show, and they would also have some other powers, likely physical.

And I know the Old Gods where Children of Oberon. What I am saying is in this setting they recognize the Kithain as Children of Oberon but not themselves, and not the Inanimae. Saying that maybe they only consider the Dreams of Man to be the Children of Oberon.

But if they were some sort of naturally Kinain like species that would be interesting. Then they could actually be their own splat with their chosen Clan and probably one other type of Supernatural Axis. Maybe being a bit more like Werefolk.

Comment

Hmm though did realize this puts Gargoyles within the last thousand years rather then them being an ancient species of fae. But maybe touches upon older stuff with their evocation of old iconography.

Comment

Sadly, the Disney's version of them being guardians and placing their duty above personal gain or satisfaction has already been covered by the Trolls. So designing them around that would be kind of redundant.

EDIT: But luckily for us, not all "changelings" have to be members of the Fae specifically.

Take the Hsein for example, who openly claim to have a completely different origin story, purpose and even a way of life compared to their western neighbors.
              Last edited by Nyrufa; Today, 12:43 AM.

Comment

Hmm though did realize this puts Gargoyles within the last thousand years rather then them being an ancient species of fae. But maybe touches upon older stuff with their evocation of old iconography.
                Haven’t read the whole thread, but I wanted to chime in on this. The wolpertinger in C20 are a young kith. They’ve only been Kithain for roughly 50 years.

1000 years ago would be before the Shattering, when new fae races being born was a bit more common. There’s plenty of room in the game for a youngish kith. Don’t let that stop you.

Charlie Cantrell
                Onyx Path Freelancer
                Changeling: The Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition, Night Horrors: Conquering Heroes, Book of Freeholds

Comment

Working...
                X