• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lachdanan
    started a topic Ideas about my Treasure: Ring of Truth Forgotten

Ideas about my Treasure: Ring of Truth Forgotten

Hello Folks,

I'd like to ask for your thoughts about a Treasure:

The Treasure is crafted by a wolf-blooded (Get of Fenris) changeling, who was involved in a War he can not win. To survive the depredation of constant warfare he, a master craftmen and Namer devised and made the tool what could conserve his strength and power.

Ring of Truth Forgotten

Level:

Type:
    Crafted.

Art:
    Naming.

Autumn World Seeming:
    A master crafted silver armband blackened with age (& blood). Its not a full circle. It ends in two thickening distinct wolf head shapes. It's surface is covered by engraved runes praising the Old Gods and calling for the power of Alfar.

Chimerical Seeming:
    The shape and engravings are the same, but the ring has a perfect sheen and it's craftmanship is flawless. The runes are inlaid with snow-white bone and the surface is decorated with water clear sapphires.

Mystical Components & process of completion:
    The main component is the silver remains of a Grand Klaive destroyed during a desperate ambush against the Wyrm. The material was melted in the hottest flames of a balefire (Level 5 Freehold, acts as the second component). It's runes were inlaid with the canines of the wolves of northern reaches (3rd component), it's surface socketed with sapphires pressurized from the everlasting ice of glaciers (4th component). It's metal was cooled in the mixed blood of mighty enemies and it's creator (5th component).
    Than the Ring was then Sained.

After it was finished a mighty Unleashing was cast on it to enhance it's power exponentialy.

Power's duration:
    Constant when worn.

Power's description:
    When worn the Treasure fortifies the Changelin's Fae self and imposes it on the Autumn World, simultaneously suppressing the mundane self. The effect imitate the Calling the Wyld, but it doesn't require the Changeling's inner reserves to activate it. Unfortunately the Treasure gained a drawbacks because of the unpredictable effect of the Unleashing. The stability of the mortal-fae soul coexistence is eroded and the Banality engulfs the Changeling faster, suffering the Flaw: Sidhe's Curse when the Treasure is worn. Additionally the smothered mortal self provides much less defense against the incursion of Dreaming into the wearer's being. For every Nightmare dice gained the Changeling receives an additional one.
    Last edited by Lachdanan; 05-23-2018, 05:55 AM.

• Lachdanan
    replied
    I'm glad a discussion started! (By the way the international -mainly English languaged)- forums are much better than I can find in my home country. They are all about the flame war.)

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
    What made you decide on it being a level 5 Treasure?
    Because Reweaving is needed to change the fundaments of a beeing. This Treasure breaks the normal reality, because causing the Fae self emerge. Mechanicaly it changes the Kithain less Changeling but more Fae. And because I did not find a better Art level to cover the effect.

Can Mortals and Chimera use it to call upon the Wyrd, I think that may be interesting and maybe justify it, but for fae its a weird position if it only works on Changelings. I mean calling upon the Wyrd is hella potent, but something most can do.
    There was an idea that the Treasure would force the inner-true self emerge. For example: A Garou would change into a breed form, a nosferatu would drop Obsfuscate, a Fallen manifest her Apocaliptic Form. It may even be used to facilite Crystalis.

It was dropped in the write-up, but it may still be an unknown effect. Until now only the creator used it.

I wonder now about Gallain and Treasure making. Imbued Treasures seem possible for Hsien and Nunnehi/Menehune, but mythical material seems like something they would now get from the Umbra, or in the case of the Hsien they would have to look for in the mortal world.
    I *think* you have a misconception. The Gallan (Nunnehi & Menehune) can still access the Dreaming, only the Higher Hunting Grounds are forbidden for the Nunnehi. Like Arcdia for the Kithain, except it was destroyed (Thank you BoF!). The access to Umbra is not a replacement, but an addition.

I feel the C20 core rules should have addressed the idea of using both the imbuing and Mythical Material Treasure creation rules being used together. I mean even if a fae is enchanting a mortal object I feel they may find it beneficial to also say quench Saucy Jack's blades in God's blood or add a phoenix Feather to Robinhood's cap.
    I donno. The rules seam to be veeery sloppy work. They should be expanded, but I *think* the imbuing and crafting should have 2 different system. (The product's power level are also on a different level.)
    Last edited by Lachdanan; 05-23-2018, 08:42 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Eldagusto
    replied
    Yeah I hope the Player's Guide Expands the Treasure and Craft section. C20 is fun and adds something missing from older editions, but it is too small and over simplified. It is interesting that now Fae Treasures are potentially the most numerous Magical Items. I actually wish some of the NPCs like Kings and Queens and what not were fully decked out in an Imperial Panoply.

What made you decide on it being a level 5 Treasure? Can Mortals and Chimera use it to call upon the Wyrd, I think that may be interesting and maybe justify it, but for fae its a weird position if it only works on Changelings. I mean calling upon the Wyrd is hella potent, but something most can do.

I wonder now about Gallain and Treasure making. Imbued Treasures seem possible for Hsien and Nunnehi/Menehune, but mythical material seems like something they would now get from the Umbra, or in the case of the Hsien they would have to look for in the mortal world.

I feel the C20 core rules should have addressed the idea of using both the imbuing and Mythical Material Treasure creation rules being used together. I mean even if a fae is enchanting a mortal object I feel they may find it beneficial to also say quench Saucy Jack's blades in God's blood or add a phoenix Feather to Robinhood's cap.

Leave a comment:

• Lachdanan
    replied
    Saining it seems very appropriate, to the point I wish we had a section about that art in particular being a boon to Treasure Crafting.
    In the past there were such rules in the Dreams & Nightmares, if I remember correctly.

So its basically a calling upon the Wyrd aid? How does this differ from say glamour banked just for the use of calling upon the Wyrd. This is a curious question, I wish this thread had more attention. I'm still wrapping my head around the rules.
    This Treasure was made by a PC. He had a very limited supply of Glamour and, of course, Willpower. Unfortunately the Story focused and still focuses the skirmishes of his relatives - Garou. Without Calling upon the Wyrd he was almost powerless, even a stray bullet could finish him.
    This is why this Treasure was born. With it the PC had three options:
    1) Not using it, depleting his sources and soon become a hinderance.
    2) Using it, but become extreamly susceptible to Banality & Nightmare and soon fall into full Bedlam.
    3) Using it sparingly.

In 6 hours, with rational Treasure usage he gathered 2 points Banality & a full point of Imbalance. The six hours covered one and a half day.

About the crafting rules:
    I think the authors seriously lacked the spark there. We have options to craft treasures what can only sling Arts, but in the Treasure section you find multiple whose powers diverge radicaly from the base Arts.

Also the previous editions' crafting rules are missing. It's annying for Nockers. And Thought-Crafters. But they were totaly skipped, so who cares about their oppinions?
    Last edited by Lachdanan; 05-23-2018, 05:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Eldagusto
    replied
    Hey very interesting! I particularly like the creation of the Ring, the idea of using an Autumn World mystical component like the fragments of a Grand Klaive is something I whole heartedly endorse as is the idea an Unleashing was part of its creation. It would have been cool if we had more on things like that in the Treasure section. Saining it seems very appropriate, to the point I wish we had a section about that art in particular being a boon to Treasure Crafting.

So its basically a calling upon the Wyrd aid? How does this differ from say glamour banked just for the use of calling upon the Wyrd. This is a curious question, I wish this thread had more attention. I'm still wrapping my head around the rules.

Was the War that couldn't be won that it was crafted for a Supernatural War or was it a historical one?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X