Optimizing characters for resisting Banality at all costs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optimizing characters for resisting Banality at all costs

A strong assumption of the game seems most changelings eventually accept falling into permanent Banality and forgetting their fae selves at least for the current lifetime, apparently deeming reincarnation as enough of a consolation prize. I wonder about the Peter Pan-esque ones that go the other way and do not go gently in the good night of their fae selves. They choose to resist Banality at all costs, even at the price of making themselves prime targets for Bedlam, which they come to regard as a better fate than Banality. For reasons of thematic affinity, they often may also come to prefer using Unleashing rather than structured Cantrips. I wonder which Traits and lifestyle choices can help build and represent this concept. A few ideas of mine:

- pick Poetic Heart (for obvious reasons) and Faerie Eternity (physical aging seems an important indirect gateway for Banality). Other Merits that may represent a greater connection with their fae selves and the Dreaming are probably favorites too, such as Granite Skin, Murderous Mien, Surreal Beauty, Sex Appeal, Blessing of Atlas, Loyal Heart, Mechanical Aptitude/Master Craftsman, Soul of the Muse, Voice of a Songbird, Animalistic Favor, Regeneration, Winged, etc.
    - do not mind Flaws that may represent a greater connection with their fae selves and the Dreaming, such as Impatient, Curiosity, Short Fuse, Vengeful, Wyld Mind, Foul Mouth, Geas, Changeling's Eyes, Slipped Seeming, Surreal Quality, Echoes, Winged, Cleared Mists, Iron Allergy, Chimerical Magnet, etc.
    - ruthlessly use Glamour to purge as many Banality points from their systems as possible.
    - eagerly use Quests (especially Deed and Inspiration) to rip as many Banality dots from themselves as possible, all the way down to 1.
    - seek to maximize their Glamour rating with Xp, Rapture, and Reverie.
    - heavily invest in the Skills useful for Rapture and Reverie, which they likely prefer to Ravaging regardless of their Court affiliation, although the latter is acceptable in a pinch or if a Threshold is used.
    - spend as much time as possible in freeholds and/or the Dreaming.
    - membership in House Danaan helps a lot for prolonged stays in the Dreaming, and is probably an all-time favorite for Title and House membership for such characters.
    - spread out their magical proficiency among as many Arts as possible, neglecting Realms, do not mind much if Unleashings go out of control.
    - invoke the Wyld easily and often, never ever invoke the Autumn.
    - tend to alternate between Childling (especially when on Earth, or dealing with mundanes or non-fae supernaturals) and Wildling (especially when in the Dreaming, or dealing with changelings or chimera), shunning Grump.
    - tend to invest their Background dots in Chimera, Dreamers, Holdings, Retinue, Title, and Treasures.
    - neglect ties with mundane society beyond the needs for sustenance and Glamour harvesting (unless their contacts are Dreamers, Kinain, or Enchanted), spend as much time as possible with changelings or low-Banality supernaturals (esp. Garou and Tradition mages).

Any other ideas or suggestions?
    Last edited by Irioth; 04-29-2018, 06:42 PM.

To me Grump would be the ideal one for this, not Wilder or Childling, since it lets you ignore such a common source of Banality.

Comment

Originally posted by zenten View Post
      To me Grump would be the ideal one for this, not Wilder or Childling, since it lets you ignore such a common source of Banality.
      In the infrequent case sustained contact with high-Banality environments and people is really necessary and unavoidable, then yes, I agree Grump would be definitely useful for these characters. But most of the time, I'd expect they would simply avoid them like the plague, just like we can expect them to minimize ties with mundane society as a whole (except when it becomes a source of Glamour). Alternatively, I'd expect them to deal with such situations the Childling way: try enchantment and changeling magic, and if they fails to take hold, shrug and move on.
      Last edited by Irioth; 04-29-2018, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Peter Pan isn't just resisting Bedlam... he is full on Bonkers. He is immortal because he spends virtually all his life in a Freehold/Dreaming, the only time he isn't is when he is kidnapping people... kids mostly...

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
          Peter Pan isn't just resisting Bedlam... he is full on Bonkers. He is immortal because he spends virtually all his life in a Freehold/Dreaming, the only time he isn't is when he is kidnapping people... kids mostly...
          Yet another thing that's cute in a cartoon, yet would get you arrested in real life. I'm starting to think these rocket-skates might be a bad idea... Oh well, you never know until you test them!

“Nobody is purely good or purely evil. Most of us are in-between. There are moths that explore the day and butterflies that play at night.”
          - Suzy Kassem, Rise Up and Salute The Sun
          (She/Her)

Comment

Does "Join house Danaan' count because they can stay in the Dreaming forever without any downsides...

Comment

Well they are the King of Kings.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Well they are the King of Kings.

Comment

And then there's the fact that Peter has a tendency to murder the children he kidnaps. Neverland isn't a place where you never grow up, it's a place where you're never allowed to grow up.

The pirates who he frequently does battle with are speculated to be children that escaped Pan's attempt to kill them.

Originally posted by Lian View Post
                  Does "Join house Danaan' count because they can stay in the Dreaming forever without any downsides...
                  There's also house Liam, who experiment with ways in which to completely and permanently liberate you from the touch of banality... through the practice of ritual murder / suicide.
                  Last edited by Nyrufa; 05-02-2018, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Sure, there is a significant difference between a PC that deems living on the edge of Bedlam and having recurrent bouts of Bedlam thresholds an acceptable price to be free from the shackles of Banality (and mortality) and an NPC that exists in full-fledged Bedlam. In practical terms, however, I'd deem the differences between the two can often be negligible in the right circumstances, even more so if both of them focus their existence on chimerical reality to begin with. Spending existence in a Freehold may easily feel like imprisonment, but the Dreaming is so vast and diverse that I expect one may very easily spend practically all their time in it and hardly miss the Autumn realm.

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post
                      Very much so. House Danaan is by far the best choice for a changeling that gives top priority to freedom from Banality, and this kind of character is part of the recruitment pool for the House, although other features seem to be required to fit in its ranks, such as a wish to explore and defend the Dreaming.

Comment

If I understand it correctly, Dark-Kin may be a rather interesting option for characters that are meant to avoid a fall into long-term Banality at all costs, Much like Chimera, because of their way of interacting with the Autumn world, they may be vulnerable to Banality in the short term, but can shed it fairly quickly by returning to and staying in the Dreaming for a while when it gets too harmful. On the other hand, since they shunned the Changeling Way and lack a Banality rating, they cannot build up Banality in the long term and get Undone.

Comment

Originally posted by Irioth View Post

Very much so. House Danaan is by far the best choice for a changeling that gives top priority to freedom from Banality, and this kind of character is part of the recruitment pool for the House, although other features seem to be required to fit in its ranks, such as a wish to explore and defend the Dreaming.

Can't survive if the Dreaming dies. And if you're going to try to live in the Dreaming full time(which will maximize your survival) might as well become an expert explorer.

Comment

Originally posted by Irioth View Post
                            If I understand it correctly, Dark-Kin may be a rather interesting option for characters that are meant to avoid a fall into long-term Banality at all costs, Much like Chimera, because of their way of interacting with the Autumn world, they may be vulnerable to Banality in the short term, but can shed it fairly quickly by returning to and staying in the Dreaming for a while when it gets too harmful. On the other hand, since they shunned the Changeling Way and lack a Banality rating, they cannot build up Banality in the long term and get Undone.

I don't know too much about the Dark Kin, but C20 made it sound like these guys were trapped inside the Dreaming when the Shattering happened. It wasn't that they rejected the Changeling Way, it's that they literally couldn't partake in it for hundreds of years. And when they were finally able to reveal themselves, they had been altered by overwhelming Glamour of the Dreaming.

Comment

Working...
                            X