Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Faery Magic Questions Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Faery Magic Questions Thread

    So I keep getting a few uncertainties when reading the C20 book. Like Nockers their improvised devises only work on Chimerical things right, so unless they call upon the Wyrd their homemade nailgun won't fire at humans?

    And Metamorphosis' Worms and Giants they don't list how growing and shrinking effects your stats? I can see a case being made for shrinking you keep your strength like Antman, but growing, especially since it stacks and you can Pull an Oberon against Xanatos and grow to a Skyscraper, how should I handle it?

    And with Chronos can't say a Sorcerer find the True Name of an Enchanted or Kinain and so you have an easier time casting on them and then Tie a Chronos Cantrip to make an Eternal casting of Burning Thews that gives them 6+ strength forever, or at least decade. Or make an Eternal Burning Guarding with Elder Form? Or make someone permanently a Dragon?

    So Unleashings are mostly limited in that you can only define them with a simple utterance?

    Dance of the Five Kings gives an Example of a Leprachaun hiding a pot of gold in a tree with himself having the only key, would that mean you can use it on say a prop, the key, so it always responds to a tree and opens it up? Or is the Leprechaun just recasting the Cantrip?


    It is a time for great deeds!

  • #2
    Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
    So I keep getting a few uncertainties when reading the C20 book. Like Nockers their improvised devises only work on Chimerical things right, so unless they call upon the Wyrd their homemade nailgun won't fire at humans?
    If you're talking about the Make It Work Frailty...then yes, by RAW, only chimerical items.

    And because it's a birthright and not a cantrip, there's no "calling on the Wyrd". So no, you can't use it with mundane items.

    And Metamorphosis' Worms and Giants they don't list how growing and shrinking effects your stats?
    Huh...no it doesn't, looks like. That's going to have to be something that the ST will have to eyeball on what stat boosts would fit.

    And with Chronos can't say a Sorcerer find the True Name of an Enchanted or Kinain and so you have an easier time casting on them and then Tie a Chronos Cantrip to make an Eternal casting of Burning Thews that gives them 6+ strength forever, or at least decade. Or make an Eternal Burning Guarding with Elder Form? Or make someone permanently a Dragon?
    ...that's an overly specific edge case there.

    Also, are you asking about the Chronos Art or the Time Realm? Because your bit with the True Name sounds like you're talking about the Chronos Art, while the bit about an "Eternal casting of Burning Thews" sounds like you're talking about the Time Realm.

    So Unleashings are mostly limited in that you can only define them with a simple utterance?
    Yes. You have to state a command on what you want your Unleashed Art to do.

    Dance of the Five Kings gives an Example of a Leprachaun hiding a pot of gold in a tree with himself having the only key, would that mean you can use it on say a prop, the key, so it always responds to a tree and opens it up? Or is the Leprechaun just recasting the Cantrip?
    No, the clurichaun is just recasting the cantrip.

    Comment


    • #3
      Well the Fae Realm allows you to actually cast Cantrips on other Cantrips, they even mention using Chronos to extend other Cantrips.


      It is a time for great deeds!

      Comment


      • #4
        And also the Dance of Five Kings isn't really explained too well, like you can make fountains of Fire or Fire Flowers and those are permanent?


        It is a time for great deeds!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
          Well the Fae Realm allows you to actually cast Cantrips on other Cantrips, they even mention using Chronos to extend other Cantrips.
          In C20? No it doesn't.

          Chronos is it's own separate Art. There's nothing saying that it can be used with other Arts. You're referring to the Time Realm. I know in earlier editions there was a thing where Chronos/Time was just a Realm and not an Art, but not in C20.

          Otherwise...page number please.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
            And also the Dance of Five Kings isn't really explained too well, like you can make fountains of Fire or Fire Flowers and those are permanent?
            Unless if the Art level lists duration levels, assume that the effect is permanent.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post

              In C20? No it doesn't.

              Chronos is it's own separate Art. There's nothing saying that it can be used with other Arts. You're referring to the Time Realm. I know in earlier editions there was a thing where Chronos/Time was just a Realm and not an Art, but not in C20.

              Otherwise...page number please.
              Yes it does, page 202 Chronos III Set in Stone Cantrip:

              Note that suffcient levels of
              Fae allow the character to prolong other cantrips with Set in
              Stone, but the specifc interactions should be arbitrated by the
              Storyteller.
              Even in older Editions Time and Chronos were separate things. You could use Time to hang a Set in Stone Cantrip to prolong the extent of another Cantrip like Chimerical Exaltation, Elder Form or Worms and Giants.


              It is a time for great deeds!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post

                Unless if the Art level lists duration levels, assume that the effect is permanent.
                That is why I was wondering if the Clarichaun was actually using the art to permanently make it so the Tree opens when he uses the designated key, which seems to fit the similar idea of making a flower out of fire permanently.


                It is a time for great deeds!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Also the first level of Oneiromancy says they can't take anything with them into the Dream, but its used for things like vanishing from enemies... so do they just leave a pile of clothes and enter the Dream Naked?

                  And Faerie Ring says Bunks always require a circle of some natural substance that defines the protected area but one of the examples is a childling making a circle of toys in a room. Was this allowed because the toys were say wood rather then plastic? Or they mean the toys are natural to the room since its a kids room?


                  It is a time for great deeds!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post
                    If you're talking about the Make It Work Frailty...then yes, by RAW, only chimerical items.

                    And because it's a birthright and not a cantrip, there's no "calling on the Wyrd". So no, you can't use it with mundane items.
                    I don’t remember this one specifically, but most of the Birthrights in C20 were changed to always be in effect. Even if it doesn’t normally affect mundane things, Calling Upon the Wyrd absolutely lets abilities that are normally chimerical effect the mundane. You’ve parted the Mists around you and brought your slice of the Dreaming into full effect on Earth.


                    Charlie Cantrell
                    Onyx Path Freelancer
                    Changeling: The Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition, Conquering Heroes, Book of Freeholds, Guide to the Night, C20 Players Guide

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Can’t Flicker Flash be used to teleport you to the Moon? So if Fae can survive in space they could teleport to the Moon!? You can see the Moon, and you can also find Moon Rocks!


                      It is a time for great deeds!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
                        Can’t Flicker Flash be used to teleport you to the Moon? So if Fae can survive in space they could teleport to the Moon!? You can see the Moon, and you can also find Moon Rocks!
                        1. That depends on if we want to consider "outside of Earth" as being in the Autumn World or not...otherwise, my reading of WoD is lore is that outer space is not a part of Earth, and therefore does not count as being part of the material world that Earth is part of. And even if you wanted to run the theory of "moon = Arcadia", Arcadia is technically part of the Dreaming, so you couldn't use Flicker Flash to get there.

                        2. I mean, there's the whole "death by the vacuum of space" which I'm pretty sure changelings have no inherent protection from...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
                          Can’t Flicker Flash be used to teleport you to the Moon? So if Fae can survive in space they could teleport to the Moon!? You can see the Moon, and you can also find Moon Rocks!

                          Maybe with a telescope. The human/kithain eye isn't qualified to make out details on the moon to categorize it as a place. Conversely you could totally use a live steam of the mars rover to go to mars.

                          I think the more important question about Flickerflash is while you can't teleport people to prisons can you teleport them straight up and let gravity do its thing?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post

                            1. That depends on if we want to consider "outside of Earth" as being in the Autumn World or not...otherwise, my reading of WoD is lore is that outer space is not a part of Earth, and therefore does not count as being part of the material world that Earth is part of. And even if you wanted to run the theory of "moon = Arcadia", Arcadia is technically part of the Dreaming, so you couldn't use Flicker Flash to get there.

                            2. I mean, there's the whole "death by the vacuum of space" which I'm pretty sure changelings have no inherent protection from...


                            Nockers BR explicitly covers macguyvering up a space suit I assumed this is what that stuff is for!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Lian View Post




                              I think the more important question about Flickerflash is while you can't teleport people to prisons can you teleport them straight up and let gravity do its thing?
                              The target of Wayfare (if they're a living being) determines the destination, not the caster.

                              And the limitation on distance is "in the same realm". To me that means the Moon is a valid target, but I could see a valid reading saying it's not.

                              All that said, I'm sure Unleashing could throw someone high into the air without the safe landing of Hopscotch.
                              Last edited by zenten; 05-11-2018, 12:11 AM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X