The Lost Greater Arts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Lost Greater Arts

So after I finish C20 one of the things on my Agenda are the Lost Greater Arts of the Fae. I want to develop crunch to somewhat explain the greater powers of the Fae mostly lost to Changelings. Things that both Lost Ones would wield but that also would represent even some of the Tuatha's Power as well as mighty Changeling Sorcerers like Dice. So far for someone like dice learning more arts makes you more diverse but I want something to also represent greater power over all.

So I want them to be kind of like Arts but have just a smidge more umpfh. I am not too savvy on Dark Age Fae but I want to call upon their potential as well. They would be like Arch Arts, or the power of Gods.

So the idea is these Greater Arts require prerequisites, which are flexible prerequisites but represent certain competence to tap into primordial thematic power. So I'm thinking a lot of them require mastery of at least one of the Associated Arts, or maybe they need mastery of a specific Seasonal Art along with others. Maybe knowing a dot in certain arts counts as a certain amount of points while Seasonal arts twice the points. The idea being Seasonal are maybe the most primordial and old of the Fae Magic. Meanwhile lets say Inanimae can learn these as well, but they usually learn it through Splinters. And like splinters they have a permanent buff, but can also used with realms for cantrips and can be Unleashed. Maybe for Changelings/Inanimae/Dark-kin they need to like Glamour 6 to tap into it. Mean True Fae can learn it off the bat without learning other Arts.

The Greater Art of Mistweaving
    Conjuring potential from the Mists, pure master of Glamour, and possibly even the birth of Fae from the Primordial Mists. Its the mastery of the Unknown, Dreaming and Mystery. This is the Art the First Fae used to create the Mists that dull the memories of Changelings and Mortal alike. Prerequisites 13 dots from either Naming, Chicanery, Primal, Oneiromancy, Seasonal Arts (at least 2 Dots of Seasonal Arts) and if new arts are created Talecraft.

The Greater Art of Dawn
    The art of beginnings, past, birth, potential, hope, and spring. This Art carved the first dawn from the Endless Night. Prerequisite 13 dots in either Spring, Pyretics, Naming, Primal, Metamorphosis, Chronos, and Soothsay.

The Greater Art of Day
    The art of life, existence, light, warmth, faith, clarity and summer. This art brought forth being from nonbeing. Prerequisite 13 dots in Summer, Pyretics, Naming, Primal, and Sovereign.

The Greater Art of Dusk
    The art of endings, dimming, entropy, fatalism, time and autumn. This art brought passing and change to the world. Prerequisite 13 dots in Autumn, Naming, Primal, Metamorphosis, Chronos, Soothsay, and Wayfare.

The Greater Art of Night
    The art of death, naught, darkness, cold, nihilism, sleep and Winter. This art was the first and final night existing before time and Creation. Prerequisite 13 dots in Winter, Naming, Primal, Skycraft, Autumn, Ruin, and Spirit-Link/whatever death art gets made.

The Greater Art of the Deep
    The art of primordial depths, infinity, eternity, the sea, and below. This was the art of the endless sea from which everything sprang. Prerequisite 13 dots in Primal, Naming, Skycraft, and Oneiromancy. Whatever ocean or underground art are developed. The Fomorians mastered this, as did Vatea of the Mer and from which Turtle Island sprang.

The Greater Art of Nightmare
    The art of Fear, primordial darkness, instinct, wilderness, madness, and Nightmares. This was the Art mastered by the Fomorian Hosts in the Darkest Corners of the Dreaming. Prerequisite 13 dots in Primal, Naming Oneiromancy, Autumn, and Skycraft.

I'm thinking this would be more expensive than other arts, maybe the first dot particularly expensive, maybe costing 25 dots for the first Dot, and rating times 6 to increase?

Maybe part of the basic effects of the first foundation dot in a Greater Art kind of makes you less mortal.

What are thoughts, suggestions and critiques. I still need to finish reading C20. But I wanted this to be a system for NPCs mostly, to show the terrible powers of the Fomorians as they start to awaken, but also the terrible power of the Arcadians and their Parents the Tuatha. Though those primordial beings will have greater weaknesses as well in the Autumn World. But this is also a big project to represent in a more concrete way Changeling Sorcerers. Sorcerers were supposed to be particular masters of the Arts, but all Changelings have Arts. I guess its assumed though Arts are not always broadly learned by changelings, with most only specializing on one or two or just dabbled. A sorcerer now truly comes into being by discovering that these Greater Arts exist and actually starting to learn at least one of them. These would be some of the secret Arts that Dice started to learn. Dice was said to have mastered over a dozen arts. But still when competing with another changeling you are still only using one art at a time. But maybe these greater arts are give you more umph in other areas beyond just their own powers.

Should there be limitations? Maybe even mastering one Greater Art limits a changeling in others unless they become a True Fae, or maybe a Saochan.

It is a time for great deeds!

So, I have similar ideas. I'm basically going to just use Exalted the Fair Folk (first edition for both mechanical and setting reasons) for that and tweak as necessary, as it was at least at some point conceived of as a prequel, and better fits Changeling cosmology as I see it than DA Fae does.

Comment

Originally posted by zenten View Post
      So, I have similar ideas. I'm basically going to just use Exalted the Fair Folk (first edition for both mechanical and setting reasons) for that and tweak as necessary, as it was at least at some point conceived of as a prequel, and better fits Changeling cosmology as I see it than DA Fae does.
      I was actually contemplating the Greater Arts being or at least including Graces. Or perhaps that is the passive buff for the first level of a Great Art you forge a Grace.

I see Hsien being the most directly linked to the Raksha, being the Raksha that went Native and worked for Yu-Shan. The Kamuii being the Elemental Nobles and the Hirayanu being the Animalistic Commoners. But I can also see Dark Age Fae being the descendants of the Raksha. C20 links more to the Dark Age Fae than older Editions.

Comment

I see DA Fae as closer to the Hsien, and the Raksha as closer to what gets described in the rest of the Changeling books. My conception of the Tuatha and the Fomorians are basically powerful Raksha, Charms and all.

Comment

Glamour doesn't function like arete or dharma its closer to Gnosis. So right away I'd requite Glamour 10 to have elder arts.

I'd have a 4th Seeming to cover it, it would require unique qualities to enter it but I'd functionally have Saochan as a Seeming. True Fae I'd always just be semi controlled unleashings They don't have defined levels.

Greater Arts I'd have function like Proxy powers in new Aeon.

Have a couple of arts fall under a broad category(Day, Night, Dusk, Dawn). Dot Six would be something that expands all of their power. Something like Doubles successes rolled or maybe even something crazy like you get a base success of 3 without rolling, because honestly with enough successes most of the arts can do some really crazy shit. Same with unleashings.

Dot 7 would be a unique miracle of (Day, Night, Dusk, Dawn) that you can only have one of that is some sort of perfect combo of the arts leading into it.

Comment

Interesting ideas. I was considering one of the options being Greater Arts could just be one dot, representing both a new power and the way they adjust the other arts.

Comment

I see DA Fae as closer to the Hsien, and the Raksha as closer to what gets described in the rest of the Changeling books. My conception of the Tuatha and the Fomorians are basically powerful Raksha, Charms and all.
              Way I see it there was no Tuatha Fomorian divide in Exalted Days. Only Fomorians who would eventually have the Rakaha who went Native evolve into the Tuatha. I see the Dark Ages just being the time when the Fae Gods like the Tuatha and Fomorians were inactive while the lesser Fae were waltzing around. I do see the Dreaming Changelings a bit wrong about a lot of their history due to the Mists and Legends.

Comment

My main issue is I don't see the way the metaphysics of DA Fae would have turned into Changeling metaphysics. There isn't even anything like the Dreaming in DA Fae times (but there is in Exalted).

Comment

I'll just point out the Friar's Cross does EXACTLY the same thing in C20 as it does in DA;FAE

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post
                    I'll just point out the Friar's Cross does EXACTLY the same thing in C20 as it does in DA;FAE
                    Friar's Cross? I was checking my books and couldn't find the reference.

Comment

Friar's Cross? I was checking my books and couldn't find the reference.

Darkening Sky the "TOJ" for Dark Ages has this little Item show

Comment

Only one thing to add to the Dark Ages: Fae / C20 topic: We worked on C20 from the perspective - and the decision to confirm it in the book - that Dark Ages: Fae is the historical setting for Changeling and not only "the possible" one. Then, as always, it's up to each individual Storyteller to decide how his, or her, game view the past.

Edit: Yes, Friar's Cross is one of the things directly "imported" from Dark Ages: Fae into Changeling: The Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition.

Krister M. Michl
                        Freelance writer / Current Projects: C20 Player's Guide, W20 Book of Oblivion, CofD: Dark Eras 2
                        Entry on White Wolf Wikipedia

Comment

I wish you had used a setting that made more sense as a prehistory.

Comment

It works, its just they don't call the Dreaming the Dreaming, its the Mists. Hell the Dreaming as we know it didn't even necessarily exist as it does now back then. And I never believed the Kiths oral history was accurate. Come on Zeus as a mere Sidhe? Trolls always being honorable blokes. No their history was more or less fabricated after the changeling way as Kiths were essentially invented. Before that I take it more certain changelings shared similarities and were extended family but not Kiths.

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
                              It works, its just they don't call the Dreaming the Dreaming, its the Mists. Hell the Dreaming as we know it didn't even necessarily exist as it does now back then. And I never believed the Kiths oral history was accurate. Come on Zeus as a mere Sidhe? Trolls always being honorable blokes. No their history was more or less fabricated after the changeling way as Kiths were essentially invented. Before that I take it more certain changelings shared similarities and were extended family but not Kiths.
                              Its called the Shattering for a reason. Reality is broken. Even if you traveled back in time you'd get multiple options. Is Zeus a Sidhe, spirit, powerful mage, antedeluvian? Yes.

Comment

Working...
                              X