No announcement yet.

The Lost Greater Arts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just don't see how you could get from DA Fae to Changeling, especially in such short a time frame. DA Fae to Hsien, sure.

Comment

Originally posted by zenten View Post
      I just don't see how you could get from DA Fae to Changeling, especially in such short a time frame. DA Fae to Hsien, sure.
      The Shattering did quite a number on the fae. It also allowed them to discover a lot of truths about themselves they either didn't realize or had forgotten.

Charlie Cantrell
      Onyx Path Freelancer
      Changeling: The Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition, Conquering Heroes, Book of Freeholds, Guide to the Night, C20 Players Guide

Comment

Aside from the Shattering break the fae’s metaphysics, the Mists doing a number on changelings’ memories even with Rememberance?

Like, current changelings are still in doubt that Seasonal Courts were ever actually a thing.

Comment

Dark Age Fae works well because they are not only the kithain but the Gallain as well. If they were only seelie/unseelie and Tuatha/fomorian then they would not mesh well with being g everyone’s origin. They work. What doesn’t work besides possible Dreaming retcons?

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

So, was the period before 1969 also very different? Because changing between the Shattering and then is the only way that makes sense to me, the Shattering itself is too quick to have such regional differences for one.

On top of all that, the Shattering and later Resurgence doesn't make sense in the DA Fae cosmology. I guess my point is Changeling doesn't make sense to me as a sequel of DA Fae.

Comment

But didn’t the only very briefly touch upon cosmology in DA Fae, we don’t know it doesn’t make sense. My opinion is the Fae of Christian and Muslim lands were kithain and they took to the Dreaming both because of a Tuatha connection to it and because they’re elimination of animism in their region. Other Fae were more linked in the public mind and were more obviously tied to the umbra, while Kithain may have gotten pushed farther back into the Mists.

And yeah I believe the shattering effected Europe first and spread. The changes make slightly more sense then mages universally changing from Pillars to spheres over time. And with C20 their magic is even more similar to dark ages.

I mean inanimae are directly linked in DA Fae.

Comment

Mage has Europe and a very small part of Asia and Africa using a pillar system, which then transitions to the sphere system through the same organized groups. That isn't such a huge change to me.

Although now that I think about it, DA Fae covers the same small region as well.

Comment

The fae of the Dreaming are basically like bygones. Except, while most bygones went into the Umbra, the fae carved out a niche for themselves in the dreams of mankind, which allowed them to remain closer to the Autumn World as a result.

Changelings are those fae who didn't retreat fully to the Dreaming, but exploited the symbiotic relationship between the Autumn World and the Dreaming to enact the Changeling Way.

Because the Dreaming is tied so closely to human dreams, beliefs and emotions, so too are the kithain as a consequence. They traded fluid being for stricter 'roles' in the collective unconscious of humanity, because it nourished them via Dreams in return.

Comment

Originally posted by adambeyoncelowe View Post
                    The fae of the Dreaming are basically like bygones. Except, while most bygones went into the Umbra, the fae carved out a niche for themselves in the dreams of mankind, which allowed them to remain closer to the Autumn World as a result.

Changelings are those fae who didn't retreat fully to the Dreaming, but exploited the symbiotic relationship between the Autumn World and the Dreaming to enact the Changeling Way.

Because the Dreaming is tied so closely to human dreams, beliefs and emotions, so too are the kithain as a consequence. They traded fluid being for stricter 'roles' in the collective unconscious of humanity, because it nourished them via Dreams in return.
                    The problem is in the default setting now the Dreaming was created by the Shattering.

Comment

Excellent point with the bygones.

The problem is in the default setting now the Dreaming was created by the Shattering.
                      Well the Dreaming as we know it. Before that I think it was a subtler more primordial link. I like to think the Dreaming is the Wyld Facet of reality. It only gets codified as the Dreaming when science started calling more things impossible. Essentially it’s the beyond portion of the map, the here there be dragons part. It became more concrete that we were on a globe, but even more then that the globe was filled out. So the Mists were the direction you can’t point to, except in your dreams.

Comment

Personally I go with Exalted the Fair Folk for my prehistory. It works a lot better imo. Although Exalted itself would be pre-sundering.
                        Last edited by zenten; 05-16-2018, 04:25 PM.

Comment

But that just works as Raksha being the Prehistory of the Dark Age Fae...

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
                            But that just works as Raksha being the Prehistory of the Dark Age Fae...
                            Then why do so many things that are in Fair Folk and Changeling (feeding on glamour from mortals and nature, the other world of the Wyld/Dreaming) not show up in DA Fae?

I *really* don't see Exalted the Fair Folk (or even moreso Graceful Wicked Masques) working as a prehistory for DA Fae at all.

Comment

Because as said after the Shattering the Fae rediscover ancient truths about themselves. Changeling the Dreaming even says that, they only took up feeding on mortal glamour again because of the shortage of fae magics caused by the Shattering...

Comment

So, the Sundering made the world *more* hospitable for them?

Comment

Working...
                                X