Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sevartal and the Dreaming

And Augmen specifically...

Charismatic Presence is easy just amp up the bonus attribute and similarly for Aloof just amp up the bonus given to the one who slipped away, making the Sevartal extremely vulnerable to manipulation by their former subjects. But the problem is Force Heritage. First I thought about replacing it but then again it is just so central to their nature I went the other way and decided to amp it up a bit as well.

My solution as crude as it was, was to make it able to force a restrained target switch to their Unseelie side in the Far Dreaming and to turn a restrained target Kithain or Gallain into a Sevartal in the Deep Dreaming.

Opinions? Critique? Better solution?

And now while on the subject of Sevartal...

I do think we need Black Court Noble Houses, for a lack of a better word. Lineages, Nests or Clans of Sevartal with certain advantages and disadvantages to mirror the Sidhe Nobility.

Fomorians were there before the Tuatha and they organized themselves into Courts despite their savagery and I would see their servants follow suit.

Besides even primitive Dreams, and Nightmares, of leadership tend to include continuity, and what better continuity is there than spreading webs of relatives to rule. And this is especially fitting for the Sevartal whom are not only Nightmares of tyranny and leadership but of conversion and spreading. I would think them as proud beings, especially those who see themselves as heads of their converts, who would create Dark Courts like their creators the Fomorians did. So hoping that we get something like that in the future.

On other somewhat related matters,

Any hope of getting some clarifications for Thallains Endownments and Vulnerabilities in general some, like the Beasties, are basically without any rules whatsoever, they change into impossible, horrible composite beasts for which there are no rules at all Etc.

I’m interested to hear any House Rules you have used to handle the different Thallain and Gallain abilities that are handled by loose guidelines rather than rules if handled at all.

Here is a cut out from a thread I made about Thallain Houses.

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
    So shouldn't the Thallain have some houses? Now that they finally have a Noble Thallain, the
    Sevartal , well and the Merrow count as well... Do some of the Thallain join House Balor or other Houses? What about the Merrow why don't they have a house when the Merfolk all have houses? And shouldn't the Oba at least have one house of their own if not more since they are a whole kith founded outside the European Dreaming? Shouldn't they have something like a House Chango, House Eshu, ect ?

For the Thallain I like to think they have more worldwide cultures for their house rather then the Western Europe vibe, with a good amount from Scandinavia since they have the Sevartal . For one I plan to have these houses for the Sevartal :

House Thrym, essentially themes of cunning and covetousness since that was his motivation and downfall, maybe a boon based on trickery, or his giant nature.

House Otr /Fafnir, with the conflation/interchangeability of the Norse myths concerning Dverger and the Svartalfar one could say Otr and Fafnir were Dark Elves, Scion even went that route but they also had the idea Dwarves were the pupil stage of the Svartalfar which was... interesting. But a house of curses, retribution, hording , weregild, blah blah. I can't decide on which of these to make a house on both are really cool. But I noticed the House choices so far are based on using more obscure characters, like Gwydion rather then a major God like Daghda, or Balor instead of Lugh or Scathach instead of her pupil Cu Chulainn. That would make Otr a more favorable choice. But they would have a boon maybe based on Shapes or curses.

House Brísingamen, another house that could play well to vanity, covetousness, crafting you name it. Maybe the boon may have something to do with knowing/making something that someone covets and making an ultimatum for them, much like the Exalted Charm knowing the Souls price.

And House Angraboda, a house for apocalyptic monstrous Thallain, the most infamous of the baddies would seek this house. It would be like the house containing their greatest champions, and hording deformities, mutations and grandeur.

And a handful of Houses from all around, like

Bani Iblis: a house for the Shaitan/Iblis Djinn based on pride, and corruption.

The Zmeivitch, a house of Dragons and opposition to the Gods.
    House Koschei: Enduring unbeatable adversaries whose boon and flaw is tied to hiding a piece of their Soul away.

House Typhon/Echidna: maybe dedicated to bring about the Final Winter, and rivals to House Angraboda

House Gjallerbru/Modgud: dedicated to Guarding, and death. Perhaps this may work better as an Unseelie house.

Thoughts?

Now it seems Kithain Houses can adopt most kiths , and I would wager Merfolk, but can they adopt Gallain such as Nunnehi? Why not? What about Merfolk Houses adopting nonmerfolk ?

I would like some more Noble Gallain : So far of the Noble Fae we had Sidhe, Sevartal , Merfolk (and possibly Merrow), and Oba. I feel we could use maybe a couple more. It seems the Nunnehi and Menehune would have kiths that could be noble, but they don't seem to prescribe to the Noble Commoner divide.

And are some of the Houses made up? I mean some are named after mythical figures, like Gwydion, Scathach and Balor. House Aesin seems to be just a mix of the Aesir/Vanir, so I'm guessing they were from Freyr since he was God King of Alfheim, and an Aesir who was born Vanir. Or was there a Fae named Aesin? Was Dougal someone from myth or was his House and several others just made up for the game? I get the feeling the houses of the Autumn world are actually the Least of the Houses and a few Middling houses in Arcadia. This would explain why they were able to be banished, and why they are based off less powerful mythical figures. But in banishing them to the Autumn World they may have opportunity to grow in power, unless you know they are doomed since they are not part of the Changeling Way Ritual, except for mostly Scathach. So does that mean in Arcadia we have mightier Houses like House Dagdha, or House Wotan? Particularly since the actual God Tuatha never got banished, as well as other Pantheon Tuatha?

Can somebody break down the Houses and where they got each from, like a specific story?

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

And I use Pookaknights Dragonkin kith's birthright Child of Ouroboros for Beasties. Basically I give Beasties a chimerical transformation that they get bonus points to build. So they can be things like Volkswagon sized Wolves or Spidercentaurs.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

First of all I’ve been following your posts about Thallain Houses and in general I do like your suggestions for the Sevartal Houses.

Thanks for the link to the Dragonkin it does indeed look like a good system, though atleast for my currently chronicle I just go with giving them animal shapes with odd natural weaponry options, wolf with horns and poisonous bite, the classic chimerae and so on. Basically choose a base animal, for which C20 has no stats so get those from elswhere, and add one or two extra natural weapons or armour, or replace one that it would have, and of course add a vivid description. But I’ll have to think about the Dragonkin option if I’ll get a Beastie PC.

But as I have been forces to dwell on the matter of Sevartal due to having major NPC villiin as one I just realized that one of the biggest problems I will have will be how to interpret this sentence from Force Heritage: ”If she can escape her mentor, she reverts to her true kith”.

Basically what does count as an escape from her Mentor? If a Sevartal is killed do all he has changed revert to their own Kiths? If so which kind of death is sufficient? I wouldn’t think Chimerical death would be enough but what about Banal death? Or does that only happen if he is killed with Cold Iron?

Or will his death mean those changed by him are now permanently Sevartal due to not being able to actively escape their mentor? They cannot rise up against him and are so doomed?

Or is the death just not enough and the turned must escape their late mentors influence and teachings? Must they turn on their mentors ideals to escape?

Basically what does escaping their mentor mean in this context? What was the writers intent? And if a Sevartal managed to escape her mentor thus reverting to her True Kith what then happens to those she has changed and those changed by them? Does it trigger a chain reaction?

Opinions and ideas are welcome.

Now that we are talking of Thallain...

How about Goblins? How do you rule what the weapons they create actually do, damage wise? What triggers the weapons violent malfunction? A botch using it? An extra die rolled with each use and when it turn 1 it explosion time?

I have currently winged the damage by looking at the weapons stats we have and depending on what is being built just giving a comparative number. And currently I have used the extra die method of choosing when it malfunctions, as well as if it suffering enough damage or is dropped Etc.

Again I welcome ideas, critique and would love to hear how others have ruled these things.

Comment

Originally posted by Possessed View Post
          But as I have been forces to dwell on the matter of Sevartal due to having major NPC villiin as one I just realized that one of the biggest problems I will have will be how to interpret this sentence from Force Heritage: ”If she can escape her mentor, she reverts to her true kith”.

Basically what does count as an escape from her Mentor? If a Sevartal is killed do all he has changed revert to their own Kiths? If so which kind of death is sufficient? I wouldn’t think Chimerical death would be enough but what about Banal death? Or does that only happen if he is killed with Cold Iron?

[...]

Opinions and ideas are welcome.
          Well.. If a Severtal was killed, not every Changed are free from her influence. There may be those who can be saved while others are so deeply indoctrinated by her, they won't change back. At least not in this lifetime. Every possible death may count in this way. As soon as the Severtal has no more influence on them, basically.
          This would be my approach to this.

Now that we are talking of Thallain...

How about Goblins? How do you rule what the weapons they create actually do, damage wise? What triggers the weapons violent malfunction? A botch using it? An extra die rolled with each use and when it turn 1 it explosion time?

I have currently winged the damage by looking at the weapons stats we have and depending on what is being built just giving a comparative number. And currently I have used the extra die method of choosing when it malfunctions, as well as if it suffering enough damage or is dropped Etc.

Again I welcome ideas, critique and would love to hear how others have ruled these things.
          The weapon breaks when the attack roll botches. If this isn't fast enough for you, roll a die and this is how many fighting scenes or even attacks until the weapon breaks down (depending on the weapon... a barbed knife may hold out a while but some highly spectacular weapon probably won't hold that long). When all uses are up, the weapon breaks on the next scene in a very, very inconvenient (or funny) moment. (Evil Storyteller Laugh here)
          If you're using dice to determine when a weapon breaks down, don't let the players know. Roll in secret. This way they won't just throw it away as soon as it isn't "safe" to use it anymore.

Comment

Working...
          X