ORCS! The actual Satyr Thallain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post

I don't ever recall hearing about "Nasties" as a mythical creature to begin with.

That sounds more like a villain from the Neverending Story (The Darkness and The Nothing being two examples) than anything derived from a real world fairy tale.
    Nasties are derived from the myths of Maenads and harpies, and the name is a very obscure reference to the mountain of Nyseion, in the mythic land of Nysa where the god Dionysus is said to have grown up, filtered through several millennia of dialect shifts and English bastardization of the original word.

Luka Carroll
    Onyx Path Freelancer & Developer
    Working On: C20 Player's Guide, Lunars
    Worked On: V20 TMR, Demon STG, C20, Book of Freeholds, Conquering Heroes, Building A Legend, Dragon-Blooded, The Realm

Comment

Originally posted by Luka C View Post

Nasties are derived from the myths of Maenads and harpies, and the name is a very obscure reference to the mountain of Nyseion, in the mythic land of Nysa where the god Dionysus is said to have grown up, filtered through several millennia of dialect shifts and English bastardization of the original word.

Still, they could have chosen a more thematic name for them.

I've actually heard of Trolls, Pooka, Redcaps, Ogres, Sidhe, Goblins, Selkies, Ghasts, est. There's actual mythology surrounding them and their behaviors.

"Nasties" just sounds like a group of cheesy villains you'd see in a 80's movie featuring a bunch of kids as the protagonists.
      Last edited by Nyrufa; 06-22-2018, 05:39 PM.

Comment

It fits right in with Beasties, which was one of the original Thallain in Shadow Court. Not everything in Changeling is taken from real world myths.

Charlie Cantrell
        Onyx Path Freelancer
        Changeling: The Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition, Conquering Heroes, Book of Freeholds, Guide to the Night, C20 Players Guide

Comment

If I had written the Thallain satyrs, I’d have gone with glaistig as the name for them, and in my head canon, they are another Thallain satyr kith. I do that a lot (multiple Thallain kiths, such as my powries existing alongside the ghasts). That said, I don’t mind the nasties, and I’ve used them several times.

Jason Ross Inczauskis, Freelance Writer
          Currently writing: Dark Eras 2, Mummy: The Curse 2e, Pirates of Pugmire, TC In Media Res. Previous projects: DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action; C20 Anthology of Dreams
          Masculine pronouns preferred.

Comment

Originally posted by White Oak Dragon View Post
            If I had written the Thallain satyrs, I’d have gone with glaistig as the name for them, and in my head canon, they are another Thallain satyr kith. I do that a lot (multiple Thallain kiths, such as my powries existing alongside the ghasts). That said, I don’t mind the nasties, and I’ve used them several times.
            Good call, the glastig are marvelously spooky and dangerous. They step outside the normal thallain pattern by being more beautiful than the kith they are connected too. Also the simple fact they want to protect children, elders, and animals and drink the lifeblood of young people makes them disturbingly weird and otherworldly.

Comment

Working...
            X