Alternate Inanimae Rules?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternate Inanimae Rules?

So the Inanimae rules we have are rather incomplete... to the point were it would have been more helpful to save them for later rather then include them in this halfbirthed form... I hope they at least flesh them out with another supplement because as is the Slithers are not very good/functional, especially for PCs.

Now the Walking Away from Arcadia Podcast has a take on doing the Inanimae so that instead of Silvers to represent their unique Fae Powers they use Alternate Elements. The link to the pdf is here. What do you think about this? This may be the way to go for me rather than the incomplete Slivers. They mention in Dark Age Fae the Inanimae are the ones who taught mages Weaving, so it is really weird that they literally can't Weave and only Unleash. Not to mention the Nightmare issues of only Unleashing...

The other option is the Inanimae: the Secret Ways original rules, but I need to read my copy, probably up next in my queue after the Boggans book or maybe after the Dark Age Fae Book.

But I would appreciate opinions on this from anyone?

Does anyone else have Inanimae Houserules? Or homebrewed Phyla? The Phyla given seem more like the most common Phyla, especially for the Ondine, since they only represent Water Elementals of the Fresh waters, like they were banished from the Oceans. I feel Oceanic Inanimae would also exist. Not to mention Meteorite Inanimae shouldn't be Glomes but their own thing.

It is a time for great deeds!

Honestly I've mostly been using Secret way mechanics with minor updates(They have access to unleashing, some of the phyla changes). Slivers have distinct levels. Inanimae Realms require bunks of the appropriate element is generally how I go with it and swap out the Mannikin flaw since I find that makes no sense.

As for other phyla: If you can start breaking up water into Fresh/salt/etc you probably have room to break up Plants into different varities there. As for Meteors Its both a neat idea but I'm unsure how many there would be.

As for my thoughts on potential other Phyla: There's always the Empire of Flickers. They've been referenced all over as a secret, Knockers have seen fairies in machines on the internet etc in various books so I'd like to see that developed.

My other idea would potentially be a Glome variant but one that I think might have some fun unique setups: Fossils. I am not sure how I'd do this but Fossils are pretty and unique and seem like the sort of thing that might attract a fairy soul, but I'm not sure how it would effect it.. I don't think they'd properly be theirown empire but something that makes Glomes different..

Comment

I don't have too much of a problem with the Inanimae as presented in C20. Yes, they're minimalist, but I think the only major problem is that they gain a point of Nightmare for EVERY spell they cast. I get that's a balancing factor so people don't just Unleash endlessly because it's so powerful, but I also like the idea of Inanimae only Unleashing - as reminiscent of an older, more pure form of chaotic fae magic.

I think that the only change really needed is to state that Inanimae don't gain a point of Nighmare for Unleashing unless they botch the roll (or roll a 10 on an existing Nightmare dice) and to really work the complications when they fail to control it.

That said, the options you linked do look like a fun alternate set of rules if you wanted something more complete?

Comment

Its not minimalist in a good way. You can tell they were obviously given a summerized powerset due to wordcount.

I'm reading the Inanimae book now, and I am wondering its 1st ed so is it going to be easier to translate these powers, even though some are redundant to Fae Cantrips, into C20 level? It might be more satisfactory for me to just go with the linked Inanimae Realm patch instead.

And Inanimae are supposed to be really subtle, and that isn't really what only being able to unleash is for. Perhaps if we ported the rules of Coaxing being a subtle type of Unleashing that's only for chimerical effects.

Or another thought, what if the Inanimae use the Alchemies of the Hsien? That would incentivize more Hsien content.

But the book is from so far back that they conflate Mer with Ondines. Which is odd because the Merfolk refer to Nymphs, which are probably Inanimae.

And I am thinking we could have a Thallain/Dauntain type of Inanime made from Trash, and Radioactive crap, or maybe cursed bogs (that links somewhat to the idea posted in another thread for Mushroom Inanimae). Or maybe even Inanimae whose Anchors are Corpses! I like that! Corpses as Anchors! Mummies!

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
          Its not minimalist in a good way. You can tell they were obviously given a summerized powerset due to wordcount.

I'm reading the Inanimae book now, and I am wondering its 1st ed so is it going to be easier to translate these powers, even though some are redundant to Fae Cantrips, into C20 level? It might be more satisfactory for me to just go with the linked Inanimae Realm patch instead.

The vast majority of Phylla cannot use Kithain arts only Mannikins can so having some level of redundancy isn't an issue in my mind.

Or another thought, what if the Inanimae use the Alchemies of the Hsien? That would incentivize more Hsien content.
          I'm just going to stop you right there.... there isn't a metal phyla(yet?) and Air Alchemy wouldn't make sense with the Wu Xing

And I am thinking we could have a Thallain/Dauntain type of Inanime made from Trash, and Radioactive crap, or maybe cursed bogs (that links somewhat to the idea posted in another thread for Mushroom Inanimae). Or maybe even Inanimae whose Anchors are Corpses! I like that! Corpses as Anchors! Mummies!
          Why do you want to make everything unplayable!

Comment

I didn't read it that Inanimae can only ever use Unleashing. I just read it as 'for now, freestyle their powers with Unleashings'. It was more about not including space for the full Slivers than it was making a point about Inanimae not being able to use cantrips with Realms and levels.

My solution would be to use the old Slivers, if you have the book, or use Unleashing (without incurring Nightmare) until a future book covers the Inanimae. The old Slivers work fine, though.

Comment

Technically Glomes count metal as one of their possible anchors.

Comment

Technically Glomes count metal as one of their possible anchors.

They aren't a separate Phyla.

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post

They aren't a separate Phyla.
                  I didn’t say they were otherwise I wouldn’t have said glomes. But there are supposed to be a lot of different phyla then the ones in the book. Like I may have Rusalka and yuki-onna as their own phlya or mash them into others.

Comment

I didn’t say they were otherwise I wouldn’t have said glomes. But there are supposed to be a lot of different phyla then the ones in the book. Like I may have Rusalka and yuki-onna as their own phlya or mash them into others.

I considered Yuki-onna as an inanimae but... then basically thought that made them unplayable or at least SIGNFICANTLY limit their playability.

Comment

Phyla Homunculi of the Empire of Bones.

I'm contemplating their birthrights and thinking maybe some sort of interact with the dead birthright, and I'm not sure for the other one. Maybe give them the ability to learn Slivers and Arts like Mannikins, but I could instead make an Osseus Sliver that touches on some Necromancer Shaman themes?

We need a book that covers and revises the Inanimae because it would be nice to see how the Phlya within the same Empire interact, like if we had Glomes interact with a metal phylum of Jing. In fact shouldn't we have something like a Kingdom between Phylum and Empire? Like Kingdom is the Element of the Empire, and is composed of different Phyla. Also stuck on the idea of why not have Slumbering Inanimae actually in their Empires. That way the Empires are constantly populated by dreaming Inanimae. Otherwise it seems empty during the Interregnum.

Comment

Also it seems Perosemes aren't usually Krofted but new ones are born Krofted. Otherwise how do you explain an Anchor being turned into a Wind Chime? They are often Clouds or mountaintops or even more perplexing things like Trade winds. Similar concern with the Solimonds, as they mention Lighting is an option... At least with them they can be balefire. But they also mention things like Firepits would be Gladelings, which is weird I would imagine they would be Krofted, but they mention things like Ovens and advanced tech being the first Solimond Krofted. Though I would imagine Lamps being their first Krofted.

Also its odd the Inanimae are the only Fae/Gallain that essentially have access to their own version of Arcadia... cept the Solimonds...

Comment

And right now even if we had cantrips for Slivers there are only five of them. We don't have really very many ways of portraying Powerful inanimae, especially if all elders have the same powers. So what ways can we expand their potential powerset?

They could get access to something like an arch Sliver power that goes past 5.

They could introduce slivers based on different Elements, like my proposed Sliver of Bone.

They could create slivers based on combinations of elements, such as Pyros and Petros making something like Volcanus. This has potential, and can lead to maybe the idea of slivers coming together to not so much be slivers anymore but, whole. They could be something like fragments, and need certain competency in other slivers to learn. Eventually they build up higher and higher into some sort of godlike powerset maybe.

Maybe Slivers not based on Elements? Or possibly they are just rare slivers. Like maybe an Umbras that was the powerset of Inanimae of Shadow, their anchors being shadows, or hidden tombs and thus were extremely vulnerable if discovered, as light could destroy them. Maybe tie it to spirits too with Shadow touching upon Etherial qualities, and even the spirit world. And Astros a sliver of the Stars. Or a Flicker empire sliver based on electricity and light.

Maybe some sort of Metaslivers not based on elements, like how Kraina have Genus Loci, or the Arts have Contract. So maybe a sliver of change, or a sliver of naught? Or a Fossil Phyla sliver based on Giant Beasts or the Past?

We need more ways express Inanimae's power, and unlike Hsien their Splinters aren't very all encompassing, like sphere magic.

Comment

I like the idea of combining Slivers. It seems very appropriate. I'd also let them use Arts and let them using the coaxing rules for Unleashing, which were published in an early preview of C20. It feels more appropriate that they can better control their Unleashings.

Comment

I like the idea there are Glomes and then the are "Fossil glomes" or "metal Glomes' Like how there are three castes of Assamite. In this.. I'm going to say something really crazy. I kind of want the Corpse Inanimae to be the same Empire as Manikins its their dark secret.. the Empire of dolls used to be the Empire of bones but there are FAR more dolls than mound corpses..

Comment

Working...
                              X