Elemental Arts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elemental Arts

Basically, the Kithain should have arts representing the Western ideas of the elements, or at least the three unearthly elements. I've been reading works on Fairylore lately and I noticed that from South Africa to Sweden, from Ireland to Siberia, fairies can turn into a dust devil and travel semi-invisibly. I don't see how they do that with wayfaire. Fairies turning into air, water, and fire, are commonplace in fairylore. Fairies directly controlling the unearthly elements or becoming powerful manifestations of these fit fairylore. I think we need specific Elemental arts that let Changelings become storms or waves or billows of black smoke.

Those sound a bit more like birthrights or Primal 4, don't you think? Perhaps new kiths would be in order instead?

Comment

Originally posted by Froggo View Post
      Those sound a bit more like birthrights or Primal 4, don't you think? Perhaps new kiths would be in order instead?
      Given how widespread certain of these themes are they seem less like birthrights of one type of fey than something common to many types of fey. Illusion is a specialty of a few fey yes, but it's some widespread that it has to be an art.

Comment

So.. you mean primal needs to exist?

Comment

I tend to agree with Froggo that it sounds very much like Primal Form (Primal 4) and Hurricane Speed (Skycraft 3), at least for the "travel invisibly at high speed". Primal Form also definitely covers transformation into water or fire and, with reasonable house-ruled design, could easily sustain your other suggestions.

Comment

Also, don't forget that we have Pyretics and Skycraft, dealing with “Fire” and “Air” respectively.

That said, I wouldn't mind seeing additional Arts that are similarity based on “Water”, “Stone”, and “Wood”. The corresponding Slivers as detailed in Inanimae: the Secret Way (Aquis, Petros, and Verdage) would be a good source of inspiration for this, though I probably wouldn't try copying them directly.
            Last edited by Dataweaver; 06-09-2018, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
              Also, don't forget that we have Pyretics and Skycraft, dealing with “Fire” and “Air” respectively.

That said, I wouldn't mind seeing additional Arts that are similarity based on “Water”, “Stone”, and “Wood”. The corresponding Slivers as detailed in Inanimae: the Secret Way (Aquis, Petros, and Verdage) would be a good source of inspiration for this, though I probably wouldn't try copying them directly.

I'd have a a hard time making a wood art between spring and primal. Spring, winter and primal would cover alot of water.. but I could see a more Merfolk focused "Art of the sea"

Personally I think any earth art should be less stones and more "underground" tying up the whole Mounds/People of the underhill thing.

Comment

Working...
              X