Changeling and Cults

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changeling and Cults

So something that seems weird to me is changelings never addressed the idea of being Worshiped as gods. I know their laws are to stay hidden from non enchanted mortals, but this is mostly for self defense. But if you went out of your way to brainwash a cult revolving around you, or your freehold it gets around a lot of the defense issues. This feels like this would be a thing especially with the Sidhe who seem to have a big hardon for being regarded. I can see Unseelie in general being big into this since it represents freedom and passion for them.

And while you can still be Banal and have faith in a changeling and magic, it feels like it would be in the right direction. As the mists fade memories in a manner in line with your mortal way of thinking, if you believed the Fae were your gods then the mists memories would be shifted into that paradigm and you would just have the details faded. In fact you don't even need to enchant everyone if you do it this way, people could have faith in you and your magic, and don't need to see your Mien. In fact they would notice it in others when people are temporarily enchanted and can see your mein but also take not when it wears off and you don't have memories of what you saw but everyone else would have memories that you said you saw all these fantastic things. Fae magic seems very conducive to making a Cult. Especially with how their magic works in C20. And if you let them touch your treasures they can be temporarily enchanted, and this could be done with demonstrations without the risk of gaining banality from failed enchantments or wasting glamour.

It kind of feels like all changelings should have a way to gather glamour through faith, like Hsien, through nature, like Nunnehi, and through dreams, like Kithain. I mean many European Fae did value worship, but also valued the wild spaces.

It is a time for great deeds!

Well there was a Pooka example in the Kithbook that did form a cult of alternative medicine and lifestyles, he formed a commune where he is their religious leader, took away things that could lead to banality, open relationships for everyone especially him since he was the Holy Leader so the next generation growing up had a healthy amount of possible pooka blood flowing through them. He wanted to show the fruits of his labor once it bore fruit, try and get other changelings on his boat of self made divinity.

Comment

I feel like there should be more of this. And I feel like maybe importing the Cult rules from Mage, so cults belief can work similar to bunk, and in conjunction with bunks, to lower the difficulty of Weavings and Unleashings. And there should be some way to gather glamour from them. Maybe like that Boggin Merit were they gain glamour over an extended period of time, like a week, due to touching the glamour of multiple youtuber viewing dreamers. So Maybe cult could be a mix of the Mage Cult and this merit.

I really feel like some Fae would totally feel like they should be worshipped as Gods. Inanimae seems to point at this often happening to them, where their anchor could be an idol or Stone Henge and thus tapping into the faithful. It seems so banal for such cults to only be well conventional cults, ie deluded human supporters.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Honestly I could see Changelings taking Cult as is with no issue, like the example I gave above it might reduce banality in the cult. Also keeps them enchanted possibly, if combined with other Backgrounds it might work quite well.The Pooka above for example might have started with Holding/Freehold and combined with Retinue, Cult, and Dreamers. His cult began as a way to cultivate dreamers and to keep them 'free' of banality. Not all of his followers are Dreamers, but he does spend loads of time with those with budding potential and gives them the divided attention of their 'God', in regards to Cult keeps Banality low as they willingly believe your miracles are real..

Comment

Working...
        X